Melvin Bliss Documentary

litemus5litemus5 132 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
My bad, I forgot to include the link.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B90nUqlJM0s

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here is the embedded youtube player:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• what other songs did he release?

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    didnt know purdie was behind the drums on that one

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    How many classic songs began with the idea: "we need a B-side"?

• That's crazy.

I just did a mix of "Substitution" songs for my radio show literally last week and was about to start turning that into a polished, CD-length mix.

I've always wondered about Bliss and about the record. The only information I could find about him previously came from a 1974 issue of the UK mag Blues & Soul. I'm anxious to hear further revelations like

purdie was behind the drums on that one
    Greatest break of all time and such a cool, weird song.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    Without taking anything away from Mr. Bliss, this song and it's subsequent life through interpolations, samples, etc., was never, ever about his singing. Just saying, the livelihood of this song is really due to Purdie, the session players and Herb Rooney.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I didn't know Purdie was on this either...kind of funny, you'd think that'd be the FIRST piece of info sourced about the song.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    dang...how long can that doc actually be?
    i feel like its going to be slightly repetetive of other sampled artists documentaries...talking about realizing theyre being sampled, just wanting to be thanked, some royalties would be nice, but that guy owns the rights, it was ahead of its time, the kids reminiscing how dad lived for his music. i dont mean that negatively. still, how can they top the pretty purdie bombshell that they just dropped in the trailer!??

bestest drums and a dope ass song. wouldve been cooler if mel wrote it

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    dang...how long can that doc actually be?

I was just thinking the same thing.