break/sample mixes

davidwingatedavidwingate 748 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
so i was listening to all my gangstarr records (for obvious reasons) and I was remembering the time when I went to the Gangstarr-Moment of Truth in-store at Fat Beats. I went up to primo and guru and asked for a drop for On Track volume 2 cassette. I remember them just being excited and giving a dope drop that set off that volume for kon and i. now this was after the whole interlude with primo going at break/sample cats, so initially I was maaaad nervous about asking for the drop but all was good. years later I spoke to primo about it and he said i loved the fact that we didn't list the records on our volumes.Throughout the years, mad people used to shit on our tapes because we would not list the records we used. So my question is does having a list of the records really make a better mix or not? I am feel that it doesn't and I stick by what we did.RIP to my fellow four cornerz brother GURU!amir

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    no lists!!
    part of the whole shit that is kinda missing these days is the whole mystery/mystique of it. when i first heard break tapes it was like someone had put the secret scrolls in the tapedeck...but i still had to go on some lord of the rings journey to find out what they were. each tape became a decade long saga of discovery. tapes with tracklistings are great for the instant gratification of it, but the longterm satisfaction of when those records slowly reveal themselves is much better

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    So my question is does having a list of the records really make a better mix or not?

Not. Worse.

• wyzewayzwyzewayz 303 Posts
    many people asked for, and still ask for a track listing for the Trip Beyond album---- if it's a real head, asking about a track, I tell them anyways, but if it's an average listener, they don't need to know.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    no lists!!
    part of the whole shit that is kinda missing these days is the whole mystery/mystique of it. when i first heard break tapes it was like someone had put the secret scrolls in the tapedeck...but i still had to go on some lord of the rings journey to find out what they were. each tape became a decade long saga of discovery. tapes with tracklistings are great for the instant gratification of it, but the longterm satisfaction of when those records slowly reveal themselves is much better

this pretty much covers how i feel

• The On Track mixes were a big influence on me. They really helped me get into listening to obscure funk/soul/jazz records rather than just listening to hip hop all day everyday.

Few too many speeded up chipmunk records on Vol 6 for my liking though!

• planlessplanless 819 Posts
    no tracklist

any idea when will ontrack 7 come out?

• hahaha that's a good question! don't really know if there will be one but you never know.

amir

• I like listening to the On Track mixes and I think one thing that keeps me coming back is the mystery about it.

Sometimes I just want to hear what the original sounded like to appreciate how it was flipped. A list of sources doesn't help me do that if I just heard it in the mix, yaoming?

I really want to hear the original of "Holdin' It Down" by Big L flipped by Pete Rock. I was wondering aloud on that "best pete rock biter" thread if it was on any of the On Track's? I don't think that's the same as asking for an ID of the source.

• many people asked for, and still ask for a track listing for the Trip Beyond album---- if it's a real head, asking about a track, I tell them anyways, but if it's an average listener, they don't need to know.

The Trip Beyond! Another one I just appreciate for what it is.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    no lists!!
    Slow reveal or fast reveal, in the end you still want to know what the tracks are, as do many. I happen to prefer fast. It's all going to be revealed eventually--the internet will see to that. Not posting track lists just impedes progress; it's anti-progress. The younger generations aren't down with that schitt. The old ways are dead.

• yeah it is on on track volume 5...from 2002!

no lists!!
    Slow reveal or fast reveal, in the end you still want to know what the tracks are, as do many. I happen to prefer fast. It's all going to be revealed eventually--the internet will see to that. Not posting track lists just impedes progress; it's anti-progress. The younger generations aren't down with that schitt. The old ways are dead.

yet theres plenty mixes that people havent been able to put the tracklisting together for. so they aint that dead. make the younguns work a little

• *cues up the Bobbito intro*

• i hear you reynaldo, but unless someone is really willing to pay to have all those records officially cleared then it's a non-starter for me. plus, we need a bit of the old school in here...if i took the time to find those records then so can everyone else. it's not rocket science...

amir

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    no lists!!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    no lists!!

this pretty much covers how i feel

Yup, me too. All hail the secret squirrel!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I'd rather have the tracklist than the mix. The slow reveal can happen as I track down the original records/songs on my own.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I'd rather have the tracklist than the mix. The slow reveal can happen as I track down the original records/songs on my own.

Peep Reynaldo's upcoming braekz mix

• I'd rather have the tracklist than the mix. The slow reveal can happen as I track down the original records/songs on my own.

these source records are mixed in an entertaining way too though. you would be missing that part.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

I saw this too! Trying to figure out their MO. Making $$ from the audio player?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    so i was listening to all my gangstarr records (for obvious reasons) and I was remembering the time when I went to the Gangstarr-Moment of Truth in-store at Fat Beats. I went up to primo and guru and asked for a drop for On Track volume 2 cassette. I remember them just being excited and giving a dope drop that set off that volume for kon and i. now this was after the whole interlude with primo going at break/sample cats, so initially I was maaaad nervous about asking for the drop but all was good. years later I spoke to primo about it and he said i loved the fact that we didn't list the records on our volumes.

Throughout the years, mad people used to shit on our tapes because we would not list the records we used. So my question is does having a list of the records really make a better mix or not? I am feel that it doesn't and I stick by what we did.

RIP to my fellow four cornerz brother GURU!

amir

The music is all-important. If a DJ wants to provide a tracklist, then I'm not mad at that at all. I'll admit to finding it a little frustrating when a mix is all super-obscure heat I don't know, but trying to ID shit then becomes part of the fun. I copped Muro's very first King Of Diggin' tape in Fat Beats in '98 and took it into work with me when I got back to London. I hadn't really heard too many straight-up break tapes at that time and, although nothing on that tape is a mystery now, some of it seemed pretty obscure back then. Anyway, a whole bunch of the guys in the office did rubs of it, and we bumped the shit out of it for months. Between us we set about ID'ing every track, and one guy did a spreadsheet so we could cross-reference the o.g's to the songs that sampled them. Incredibly nerdy stuff, I realise, but it was a good laugh.
    gettingnasty

many people asked for, and still ask for a track listing for the Trip Beyond album---- if it's a real head, asking about a track, I tell them anyways, but if it's an average listener, they don't need to know.

where can i buy a copy?

• many people asked for, and still ask for a track listing for the Trip Beyond album---- if it's a real head, asking about a track, I tell them anyways, but if it's an average listener, they don't need to know.
    where can i buy a copy?
    The Trip Beyond [CD]

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    where can i buy a copy?

This shit is Really well done!

• I'll admit to finding it a little frustrating when a mix is all super-obscure heat I don't know, but trying to ID shit then becomes part of the fun.

I'll admit that the fun also sometimes comes from the OTHER side of "wait, who sampled that again?".. hip hop production appreciation

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I always post tracklists so I don't have to respond to a ton of "what track is that?" messages

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I always post tracklists so I don't have to respond to a ton of "what track is that?" messages

That's what's up.

Amir: I think it's cool either way. For me, I always want more information than less because if all you have is a song with absolutely zero info, there's no possible way to find out anything more save for "what track is this?" posts on Strut

That said, I can understand the impulse to keep stuff on the low and I've done a few tapes were I post song titles...but not the artist. So I'm not really mad at it either way but my general philosophy says "share" rather than "hide."

its one thing to do a mix like trapdoor or that old chairman mao/citizenkane joint (where they just listed the titles without ANY spaces...very fresh, it was like a newspaper puzzle figuring that out) that are more like collections of 12-15 songs. but a beat tape with several hundred snippets should be some shit that people got to unravel and figure the fuck out. i'm still hearing shit on those first three conmen tapes that i dont know (those werent necesarily already sampled joints)

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    no lists!!.....but the longterm satisfaction of when those records slowly reveal themselves is much better