minority band

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
just heard a copy of this joint today:sounded nice and smoothe, but why would anyone pay that crazy dough for it??i'd say its $15 gooddid i miss something?

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I skip past most of the cuts on my iPod and was thinking the same thing the other day! Raer obviously, but even so, i wouldn't be dropping this at any of my gigs regardless.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

did i miss something?

The country of Japan?

Believe me: this LP is about to blow up even further.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    why, is Stones Throw going to reissue it?

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    ppu already did that little reish' of it

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    It just has that same look of all the other $1000 records. Turner Bros, Lewis Connection, etc. Anyone on here have an OG?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    It's no The Class Set, that's for sure.

• It just has that same look of all the other $1000 records. Turner Bros, Lewis Connection, etc. Anyone on here have an OG?

yup, and i love it. traded for something on the same label...if you like johnny hammond's shifting gears with a tinge of aquarian dream, you cant go wrong.

lo-fi jazz disco with some great arrangements and harmonies... spanish fly is the cut.

• btw, soulstrut loves to pit rare records up against other rare records that arent even remotely on the same tip.

no, its not the class set. its not turner brothers, in the same way blackout isnt uncle funk.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

check the comments. one dude claiming his dad is the guitarist.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I've long since stopped wincing over it, but when I found a copy of this in a dollar bin on a road trip like 8 years ago my then-girlfriend left it on top of the car when we were unloading and it got rained on.

Its a cool record, I like it.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I spoke to a number of members of the band maybe 3-4 years ago. Another collectro swore quantity had surfaced with a psych dealer in the 90s but that was never verified. I love the record but only wish I had waited to sell mine.

I doubt it's going to blow up higher than +/- 1500 though. Sounds about right. It's not unknown at all and pops up a couple times a year.

• It already has blown up higher than that Johnny I should know.LoL. But some newsclippings of the band were included. That Buy it now for $1250 up last week was cheap .I love this record. People on the board were saying the same thing about earlier in the year about the Messengers Incorporated record.

I can recommend the Ted Coleman lp on JSR as a solid Roy Ayers style outing after it and the Twylyte i dont know of anything else on this label. Anyone know ? Singles out there?

I've seen it go for $2000 and yeah, I thought that $1250 was a good deal (a bit too rich for my blood though). But do you think it will go higher than $2000? Just doesn't seem that rare. Like I said, it turns up a few times a year.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    yeah,kon, i like the record too. spanish fly is nice and so is journey to the shore. I actually listened to a copy of Ted Coleman some months ago and liked that too. maybe more.

just blows my mind that people will drop that kindof loot on what amounts to real good smoothe jazz. would people drop $500 on Seawind if it was a rare private press? probably

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    do most copies have that slight noise on the first track?

I've seen it go for $2000 and yeah, I thought that $1250 was a good deal (a bit too rich for my blood though). But do you think it will go higher than $2000? Just doesn't seem that rare. Like I said, it turns up a few times a year.

But couldn't you say the same thing about the Heartsman 2xLP? 4+ copies have shown up in the past year yet it still goes for 5k.

I think the next MB will crest the 2k mark.

• So what are your future predictions for $2000 records ?
    The Brief Encounter , Soul Expedition ,World experience Orchestra and Marijata made the leap last year.

I think it will be the next Sound of the City Experience, Sarah Webster Fabio, The Tiger Lily Bobby Boyd, and the Discovery Club lp eventually.

So what are your future predictions for $2000 records ?

Shit, I wish I knew / had the resources to speculate!

• just blows my mind that people will drop that kindof loot on what amounts to real good smoothe jazz. would people drop $500 on Seawind if it was a rare private press? probably

they would, thats funny. trades are a good thing.

There are two copies on ebay right now!

How's that for "rare"