Losing Weight (aka not being fat)

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
over the last 6 months i kind of have been going to shit. my gut is starting to protrude and my posture has suffered. i think my metabolism has finally caught up with me. not to mention the fact i don't exercise like i used to and my diet pretty much sucks...any tips (based on all of your personal experience) on what i should cut out and what i need to be eating and/or doing exercise wise to not being grossed out when i take my shirt off hahai am being totally serious too! this ain't like the Russian mom threadby the way for all those curious the crazy drunken dude is in and out of there on a regular basis. don't want to be involved any more....

Comments

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    stop eating

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    stop eating

but if you don't eat you can die i heard

• just go for a run everyday

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    stop eating

go to clubs and don't drink/ dance. maybe you'll meet someone in the process.

also, don't eat crap, or after seven pm.

stop eating

smoke crack....

Read up on your read ups.

Kill the fast food.

Three Meals A Day is a Food Industry Myth to make money.

The Human Body is made up of like %70 Water....why all the solids?

Exercise.

Stop The Weed.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Don't drink soda or anything with high fructose corn syrup.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

Trust me.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    don't drink soda is a BIG one. dead the 'juice' too. that schitt is like hummingbird food.

Not all "Diets" work across the board for errybody.

I never been to a nutrionist but u should get a check up and see what u need and remove from your intake.

Im skinny though and eat everythang in moderation.

SUGAR IS THE DEVIL.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

Trust me.

Seriously though, all you need is a gym membership and these 3 books.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Cut out fried foods, fast food, soda, switch to lite beer (if you drink), take the stairs instead of the elevator, daily walks or runs, drink alot of water. Eat healthy snacks instead of junk food and for God sake DON'T TAKE YOUR SHIRT OFF!!!

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    -Drink 6-8 glasses of water or low sugar juice per day.
    -Most people get something like 500-1000 kcal of energy per day than they need; basically the main thing that makes you gain weight is taking in more energy than you use, so...
    -Exercise 3-4 times per week for 30-60 minutes to burn off the extra calories.
    -Avoid eating between meals, but eat if you're actually hungry. That might sound contradictory, but try to get into a rhythm of knowing when and what your next meal is going to be, as this can help to cut down on the snacking.
    -Cut out all the "extra" things you don't need like coffee and donuts, soft drinks, chips, alcohol, sweets, etc. If you don't buy that stuff and bring it into your home, then you'll end up eating way less of it.

One word of warning about "low calorie" food, though - lots of it has added to sodium to make up for the lower fat content (especially in places like Canada, where the sodium content in the food is often higher than the US equivalent). It's not so good to cut down the gut, but end up with hypertension.

• Cut out juice altogether. It's just sugar water with none of the fiber that makes whole fruits so good for you.

Up your protein intake. It will keep you full for longer and help you maintain lean muscle mass.

Give us an idea of what you typically eat in a day.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    FOOD
    try to start cooking some simple things. make a big pot of brown rice or whole wheat pasta on sunday and eat it with different things throughout the week. you'll save money too

try to drink 95% water for a couple weeks. if you want a drink, have one. if you want some juice or soda, go ahead. but water should be the main thing. if you gotto, squeeze some lemon in it to make it more palatable

eat a good variety of steamed vegetables (steam till slightly crunchy) with olive oil and vinegar. cabbage, broccoli, greens, stringbeans, etc. i love it.

look for those recipes i sent you a while back

EXERCISE
    aerobic things where you are going to sweat are great for losing weight.i play basketball and sweat my ass off.

still, its good to strengthen things too. 20 minutes of situps and pushups every day will do wonders. i try to do three sets of push ups one day, three sets situps the next.i skip days, its cool, no sweat.

high sodium can leave you looking bloated too.

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    or after seven pm.

C'mon son, your body doesn't shut down at a certain point in the day. You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching TV.

Hit the gym a few times a week. Get out and run, walk, swim, bike, skate, whatever. Cardio is important. Cut out processed sugars and simple carbs. Veggies, lean proteins, clean fats, complex carbs. You'll be back in Summer shape in no time.

You'll be back in Summer shape in no time.

thats the truth

its a good idea to not eat anything with high fructose corn syrup in the ingredient list. not cause its the worst thing on earth, but its a staple of highly processed shit food. avoid it and you screen out all kinds of garbage

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    or after seven pm.

C'mon son, your body doesn't shut down at a certain point in the day. You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching TV.

Hit the gym a few times a week. Get out and run, walk, swim, bike, skate, whatever. Cardio is important. Cut out processed sugars and simple carbs. Veggies, lean proteins, clean fats, complex carbs. You'll be back in Summer shape in no time.
    he's trying to lose weight. if he cuts out food after seven --(drumroll)-- he will lose weight.

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    If he cuts out food between noon and 3 pm he'll lose weight too. It's what you eat, not when.

eat if you're actually hungry.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    If he cuts out food between noon and 3 pm he'll lose weight too. It's what you eat, not when.

Not exactly. Digesting your food completely before you go to sleep will help you lose weight. This takes about three hours depending what you eat.

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts

Not exactly. Digesting your food completely before you go to sleep will help you lose weight. This takes about three hours depending what you eat.

I hear this all the time, but I've never seen it actually corroborated by any hard science. Do you have a source to link to for this?

If anything, going for too long without food might make a person extremely hungry in the morning when they wake up. Given that many people are often rushed to get out of the house quickly in the morning, they'll often grab something quick and easy like a donut or Pop Tarts.

eat if you're actually hungry.

Ha, I know it's trite, but a lot of people mindlessly snack (usually on junk food), even when they aren't hungry.

there are studies that prove that people will eat more if more food is available. buffet style madness. the classic is the movie popcorn test. a slew of people were full after a small popcorn. but if they had the big tub, they would just plow right through it

on the going to bed hungry tip...it makes it easier to wake up in the morning. fix yourself a big bowl of oatmeal, first thing and you are GOOD till lunch...feelling good as shit and taking real big satisfying dookies

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Portion size is important too. I lost weight by basic weights/treadmill and cutting down the amount of what I ate. I've kept most of it off (I've been slipping lately) by sticking to it during the week and getting buck on Friday or Sat. Like someone said up top, eat when you're hungry. Just watch how much and drink a glass of water with it.

My .02

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i've lost like 15-20 lbs so far this year. 2 things worked for me, only one i suggest you try.

1. consider carbs (and more specifically starches) your enemy.

most days of the week i really ration my carb intake. almost no bread products, even little fruits, and unfortunately no beer. it's an annoying prospect but, it appears to have paid off.

2. break your leg (seriously)

8 weeks ago i broke my leg and as a result have not (and will not) be able to walk until the end of May. So obviously i have not been working out. Still i have lost like 10 lbs just in this time frame. How...see#1. Not being able to walk has crippled (pun not intended) my social outings, so beer and alcohol and social dinners is only when i can muster it, and that's basically been only the occasional Friday/Saturday.

Also, when it actually cause you pain to walk to the fridge or bathroom, you care much less about food. I think i just have chosen to lay in bed/stay at my desk as opposed to going and digging for some food in the kitchen.

portion control & working out of course is good too. but i would see if you can muster working on #1 (btw, you better like meats and eggs) and see where that gets you.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    yeah cut the coarbs mane. does wonders. first couple of weeks is kind of hard to figure out what to eat, but you'll figure it out... nuts and pickles for snacks, hold the extra rice at the thai restaurant, things like that.

like everyone said: DEAD the sodas.

try to make these habits that you can keep in someway shape or form even when you get to where you want your physical to be. you dont want to just do some crash course thing and then fall back on eating a case of pabst and drinking down big macs

• HamHam 872 Posts

most days of the week i really ration my carb intake. almost no bread products, even little fruits, and unfortunately no beer. it's an annoying prospect but, it appears to have paid off.

Could you give some examples of what to eat when almost completely cutting out carbs? while keeping it reasonable money-wise....

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

so true. eliminate HFCS and you will loose 10+ lbs within a week.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I know that nothing will be as good as a regular meal but does anyone know of any "meal replacement" bars that aren't terrible for you?

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I fake pasta with spaghetti squash. I snack on nuts and pickles (no homo). Veggies and high fat meats, that's my stuff. Off sodas. It's crazy, it's backwards from everything I've heard my whole life; but about four months into it I've lost over ten pounds (185 to 170 or so), I haven't had heartburn (worth it for that alone), and my knees don't hurt when I ride bikes. I'm interested to see what my cholestRIOL numbers look like (I've been told it'll be chill), and if I get ASS_CANCER or something, but man: it's been great. Eating like a caveman.