S.F. Sorrow or Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake?

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Curious which of these fantastic conceptual albums you like best and why.I'm leaning towards the Smalls Faces jawn, but it's tough.

Comments

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Pretty Things is way more deep and experimental. Ogden's is helped by the fantastic Stanley Unwin.
    Both are amazing, stand fine by themselves and there's really no need for comparison. I'd say the Small Faces is a little easier to digest, given it had the hit single 'Lazy Sunday' on it.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    vs is a poor word choice. it's a preference. [^^^^edited]

why is SF always cited as the first rock concept lp when it came out in 12/68, but ONF came out before in 5/68?

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    S.F Sorrow

• channonchannon 65 Posts
    I like both a lot, but I prefer SF for the win. Sounds more experimental than ONGF.

@fatback, I could be mistaken but isn't the "concept" limited to side II of ONGF, whereas SF is the whole of both sides? Not saying it's a good reason for the lack of citation, but could be a reason

• 3RD_Man3RD_Man 213 Posts

As much as I love Small Faces and Ogden's, preference is given to SF Sorrow as a whole... less for its experimentalism and more being a more cohesive and complete listen... Each song is inextricably linked to the next and do not carry the same weight unto themselves... Ogden's however seems like something I can just put on a track or two, or in most cases just spin side 2, and the impact isn't lessened... as far as what rock concept lp came first, what about Nirvana's first? That was late '67...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Pretty Things is way more deep and experimental. Ogden's is helped by the fantastic Stanley Unwin.
    Both are amazing, stand fine by themselves and there's really no need for comparison. I'd say the Small Faces is a little easier to digest, given it had the hit single 'Lazy Sunday' on it.

Maybe if you lived in the UK..."Lazy Sunday" wasn't a hit single in the States.

As much as I love Small Faces and Ogden's, preference is given to SF Sorrow as a whole... less for its experimentalism and more being a more cohesive and complete listen... Each song is inextricably linked to the next and do not carry the same weight unto themselves... Ogden's however seems like something I can just put on a track or two, or in most cases just spin side 2, and the impact isn't lessened... as far as what rock concept lp came first, what about Nirvana's first? That was late '67...

Hate to state the obvious, but how about this one from mid-'67?

Why did you have to ruin this thread so early?

• 3RD_Man3RD_Man 213 Posts

Didn't forget it... I know that most would disagree but I don't really see it as much of a concept album, at least not on the same level as something like SF Sorrow... sure all the tracks are mixed into each other but is there any unifying theme between all the songs? Maybe I'm missing something... I guess you could also list 'Who Sell Out' then...

Didn't forget it... I know that most would disagree but I don't really see it as much of a concept album, at least not on the same level as something like SF Sorrow... sure all the tracks are mixed into each other but is there any unifying theme between all the songs? Maybe I'm missing something... I guess you could also list 'Who Sell Out' then...

Even The Beatles themselves said that really only the first two songs are 'concept'.

Maybe if you lived in the UK..."Lazy Sunday" wasn't a hit single in the States.

Up until 2001, I did.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    SF Sorrow all the way for me, it's dated much better than odgens.

What about 'triangle' by the Beau Brummels is that classed as a concept LP?

I've passed on their records for years not knowing about that one. I also read that Bradly's Barn is great country rock record.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Pretty Things by a mile.

"Ogden's" is great but I like earlier Small Faces so much more it pales in comparison.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts

I also read that Bradly's Barn is great country rock record.

I also rate it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    early Beau Brummels is awesome also, though.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    gotta go with SOI's assesment....Decca-era Small Faces punches Immediate Small faces in the nuts (no pun intended)...plus The Pretty Things LP sounds timeless...amazing record..Odgen's, while the highlight of the Immediate era, has too many "tea and crumpet" moments for me to enjoy it has an entire LP.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    early Beau Brummels is awesome also, though.

Produced by Sly Stone.

• Cameraman was busying during that performance!

SF for me although I've always preferred Parachute to SF.

After some repeated listening this weekend I'm going with SF. It took me a long time to find SF on vinyl, but I've had ONF for years. So I've been able to experience proper listening for a much longer. SF is much more cohesive as a concept and has a lot more interesting production touches. ONF has some of my all time favorite songs. I'm also still on the fence about using narration for a concept record. My argument is that the concept should hold on its own without narration to hold your hand.

Thanks for mentioning the Triangle Beau Brummels LP. I found that Saturday and it's great.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I'm also still on the fence about using narration for a concept record. My argument is that the concept should hold on its own without narration to hold your hand.

I could understand some kind of annotation on the COVER, clueing you in to what was happening, but I likely wouldn't want to hear somebody talking all over the record, like on a children's album or something.