U.S. Tax Talk (NRR)

shawnald_reaganshawnald_reagan 318 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Who pays? Who doesn't? Who gets a refund? Who hates 'em?I paid about $500 to State and Fed each and was happy to do so. Anybody ever been audited? How do you e-bay sellers deal with all them forms?Yay or Nay? Discuss.

Comments

• Skipping taxes is the littlest dude move to the fullest extent.

Play by the rules, win the game.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    I want to thank Barry for this years' tax relief.

• "I like to pay taxes. With them I buy civilization."

- Oliver Wendell Holmes

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Did someone get you a quote of the day calendar for Christmas? I like the quote, just saying.

• You ask me, I think it's a fitting quote. Layout on the calendar talk... what day of the year do think it's gonna come up, May 8th?

Succinct. Smart. Fitting...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I usually picture Gareth sitting in his easy chair, wearing a paisley smoking jacket, puffing on a meerschaum pipe, and perusing a well-worn copy of Wise Words and Famous Quotes.

• I usually picture Gareth sitting in his easy chair, wearing a paisley smoking jacket, puffing on a meerschaum pipe, and perusing a well-worn copy of Wise Words and Famous Quotes.

You're all fucked up, DB... Bartlett's ONLY.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    You ask me, I think it's a fitting quote. Layout on the calendar talk... what day of the year do think it's gonna come up, May 8th?

Succinct. Smart. Fitting...

Doth get thy panties in a twist too much.

I said I like the quote, it is just that I recall seeing several direct quotes from you in the past few months.

• I like quotes. Sometimes people like US Grant and Oliver Wendell Holmes say things better than I can... And, my first job out of college was researching writers and thinkers bios for, "The Writer's Almanac," on NPR, so I learned a lot of that shit.

No word-a-days for me, though. Just straight up nerd over here...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Me no like 10% additional tax on early IRA disbursements.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Me no like 10% additional tax on early IRA disbursements.

I got a tax bill saying I owed tax for my early dispersement a few years ago and I got out of this by writing a letter...I took an early disbursement on a Roth IRA one year, in my letter I argued since my Roth was purchased with post-tax net pay, and that the withdrawal was of prinicpal, not any interest earned (Since I withdrew a years worth of contributions) I didnt owe taxes on it. So, actually taxes had already been paid on the principal I took out. I dont know if what I claimed in my letter was true, but they said "ok" and I didnt pay any tax on it. Perhaps I got a sympathetic/lazy IRS person who was handling my case...but it worked.