Dutch cupfinal between Ajax-Feyenoord

markus71markus71 937 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Sunday the 25th the dutch cupfinal between the two biggest dutch soccerclubs Ajax and Feyenoord will be held.There's a lot of discussion going on right now about the safety measures that need to be taken to avoid a battlefield between hooligans of both clubs.Has any of this news reached the US? I was wondering what people think about this.I'm not a big soccerfan at all but I would love to see this game be played in a peacefull manner like the Baseball, basketball and footballmatches in the US that are much and much bigger than the soccergames here.What's wrong with these hooligans anyway? In Spain for instance there's hardly any trouble with matches like these.Sometimes I think it would be better to let these neanderthals into the arena, close the doors and let them fight it out. The only policeforce that would be needed is to make sure nobody gets out.

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Hey wouldn't it be great if everyone in the world could just, like, get along with each other?

And we could all hold hands and sing Kumbaya together at that neat place where the leylines meet and channel our love into Gaia.

And then we could flap our arms and we'd find we could fly.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    ^^^

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    In Spain for instance there's hardly any trouble with matches like these.

from the wiki:

Spain
    Football hooliganism in Spain arises from 3 main sources. The first is racism, as some black players have been victims of ethnic slurs. Samuel Eto'o, a former FC Barcelona player from Cameroon, has denounced the problem. The second source is the strong rivalry between Real Madrid and Barcelona. After transferring from Barcelona to Real Madrid, Lu?s Figo's appearance in Barcelona's Nou Camp Stadium triggered a strong reaction. The crowd threw bottles, mobile phones and other things (including a pig's head). Although nobody was injured the match was followed by a large discussion on fan violence in the Spanish Primera Divisi?n. Hooliganism is also rooted in deep political divisions arising from the General Franco fascist regime days (some Real Madrid ultras are linked to franquista groups) and the independentist terrorist movements in Catalonia (like FC Barcelona) and the Basque region.
    In 1998, a supporter of Real Sociedad was killed by an Atl?tico Madrid fan who was linked to a neo-Nazi group, just before a match between these two teams. In 2003, a supporter of Deportivo La Coru?a was killed in riots by Deportivo hooligans, when he tried to protect a supporter of the opposing team, SD Compostela. Since then, authorities have made attempts to bring hooliganism more under control. In 2007, there were acts of hooliganism before a match between Atl?tico Madrid and Real Madrid, with several cars being destroyed and policemen injured by flares and bottles which were thrown at them.[75] Many black foreign players have been racially abused, such as at a recent friendly match between Spain and England, in which black England players such as Shaun Wright-Phillips and Ashley Cole endured monkey chants from Spain supporters.[76] There also have been local disputes between rival teams, for example between C?diz Club de F?tbol and Xerez CD. In 2008, after a hooligan incident versus Espanyol, FC Barcelona very publicly took a stand on violence, saying it hoped to stamp out violence for good.[77]

Seriously, the broad brush condemnation of hooliganism by folks who know zero about it is much like denouncing rap as all talmbout guns n hos n coke, or free jazz is just a bunch of heroin-addled noodlers masturbating with instruments, or "my 3 y.o. kid could do that Rothko painting" - and let's see the shortness of the shrift those views would receive.

FWIW, many hooligans I have known over the years have been amongst the most intelligent, kind, generous, resourceful, polite, respectful and dynamic people I have encountered in any walk of life.

Let the dutchie boys have their row. IIRC they are very good at it.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

soccerfan

Ban

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Seriously, the broad brush condemnation of hooliganism by folks who know zero about it is much like denouncing rap as all talmbout guns n hos n coke, or free jazz is just a bunch of heroin-addled noodlers masturbating with instruments, or "my 3 y.o. kid could do that Rothko painting" - and let's see the shortness of the shrift those views would receive.

FWIW, many hooligans I have known over the years have been amongst the most intelligent, kind, generous, resourceful, polite, respectful and dynamic people I have encountered in any walk of life.

Let the dutchie boys have their row. IIRC they are very good at it.

Paging Chizzle

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    GO AJAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Sunday the 25th the dutch cupfinal between the two biggest dutch soccerclubs Ajax and Feyenoord will be held.
    There's a lot of discussion going on right now about the safety measures that need to be taken to avoid a battlefield between hooligans of both clubs.

Has any of this news reached the US? I was wondering what people think about this.

I'm not a big soccerfan at all but I would love to see this game be played in a peacefull manner like the Baseball, basketball and footballmatches in the US that are much and much bigger than the soccergames here.

Most people here in the states have NO IDEA who Ajax and Feyenoord are!!!! LOL. No news of this here in the states. Most Americans are too busy with all the sports here to care about what is going on in the rest of the world. Most Americans would not be able to find the Netherlands on a world map!

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Listen to Skel, he knows his hooligans, he supports Millwall.

I think using American sports as an example of what fans should be like isn't good though, one of the things that makes soccerball great is the atmosphere and passion from the supporters, and from all the baseball/american football games i've seen when in the USA they don't have as much of that.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts

I think using American sports as an example of what fans should be like isn't good though, one of the things that makes soccerball great is the atmosphere and passion from the supporters, and from all the baseball/american football games i've seen when in the USA they don't have as much of that.

He probably does but his definition of what a hooligan is might differ from what it actually is. There's nothing passionate about these violent idiots who are merely out there to cause trouble and get into fights with the police. That's their main purpose.

It's not like I would love to see the soccergame turn into a USA styled event size wise but at least people there don't start their own civil war over it.

• soccerclubs
    soccerfans
    soccergame

Please stop this.

He probably does but his definition of what a hooligan is might differ from what it actually is. There's nothing passionate about these violent idiots who are merely out there to cause trouble and get into fights with the police their rivals[/b]. That's their main purpose.

It's not like I would love to see the soccergame turn into a USA styled event size wise but at least people there don't start their own civil war over it.

Fixed!

I'll take a wild guess and state that none of you personally know any innocent bystander that got attacked during a football riot.

On the other hand, I'm guessing that most of you know someone who took some kind of unrighteous pasting from the cops.

And as for that other revered institution of the state, the armed forces, let's not even begin to go there.

In all, yer football hooligans are just a bunch of lovable rogues having a bit of manly rough 'n' tumble without exchanging internal bodily fluids.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Millwall

intelligent, kind, generous, resourceful, polite, respectful and dynamic

Millwall

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Damn. I thought we could turn this thread into some good beef to liven up a tepid Thursday.

Where's the boy Chizzle up in this bith?

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    I have no problem with the ringing endorsements for hooliganism.

One of my favourite moments EVAR from the old Brits thread, all the young dudes damning the Millwall/West Ham troubles until Skel arrives with his brick rolled in a newspaper and showed us who was the true Top Boy on the Strut.

I know that was supposed to be sarcastic, but it came across as somewhat bromantic.

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    england

brick rolled in a newspaper

Ah, the useful tool sometimes known as the Millwall Brick.

However P**l, said tool is made solely of a crudely rolled up newspaper, and is capable of digging up concrete. Newspaper, rolled into a tube, and then folded in half. Provides a small and extremely tough surface area w/ two sharp points that act to concentrate punch-like blows.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    I was planning on going to this game, now they've opted for a two leg final without away fans

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    sorry but i thought this thread was about us