Sly Slick Wicked (DEEP SOUL-related)

discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Goddamn did I sleep hard on this!

Comments

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    file under songs that can't be covered poorly.

always liked this version a lot though.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

I'm guessing this is where Lee Fields and those Daptone cats are getting their swagger from!

the lee fields track "do you love me" sounds a LOT more like the sly-slick track than "my world" does.
    "my world" actually sounds like that james brown "what's going on" response track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sx0qr4-lF8

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    No disrespect to SSW, who I have much affection for, but I would sooner guess that Lee Fields and 'em were inspired by the Persuaders' hit original version of the song rather than the more obscure SSW single of it. The basic arrangement is the same though the SSW's version is more sparse. I personally prefer it, but the song, as a whole, is classic.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    well, those Desco / Daptone / Soulfire guys were definitely up on the SSW version - I remember Jeff Silverman playing it for me back in 1999 or something

the Persuaders OG renders the other takeoffs moot though

file this one with 'modern-day-little-dudes-who-only-know-classic-hits-from-obscure-cover-versions-related'

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    'modern-day-little-dudes-who-only-know-classic-hits-from-obscure-cover-versions-related'

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    file this one with 'modern-day-little-dudes-who-only-know-classic-hits-from-obscure-cover-versions-related'

I'm just trying to talk about how good this song is. Is that OK with you?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    great song

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    'modern-day-little-dudes-who-only-know-classic-hits-from-obscure-cover-versions-related'

that is quite relevant to most of the mpfree collectors and youtube samplers that plague the interwebs now. classics just aren't "deep" enough to quench the the thirst of the modern funk and soul music snob or new beat digger super mp3 producer. shits gotta be foolish obscure to matter to many even if they skip the abc's of being a collectro (ie: people wanting salt-hung up before really ever knowing early kool and the gang).

• file this one with 'modern-day-little-dudes-who-only-know-classic-hits-from-obscure-cover-versions-related'
    I will happily be that dude. Keep educating me.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    SS&W's "Surely Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby", apart from having a ludicrous title, has always struck me as a much neglected horn-laden maelstrom of the Alice Clark "Never Did I Ever..." school, and gets the occasional spin on a dark night from me.

Carry on w/ the deep soul convo.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    the Persuaders OG renders the other takeoffs moot

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    AND NOBODY HAS EVEN MENTIONED THE PERSUADERS FLIP SIDE YET???

I guess that's another drawback to just grabbing mp3s.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

File this thread under crusty old elitist record crabs.

- spidey

File this thread under crusty old elitist record crabs.

- spidey

Wait, the Persuaders is a $2 45 that was a major hit. Some people can piss them in their sleep. Who's being elitist?

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Great 45 and Great group! The Get Down Live LP version of "Confessin' A Feeling" is FUEGO!![/b]. Saying that, the majority of their material, is solid ish! WEST STAND UP!

Thanks for the post A**m. I need to digitize that lp soon.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    AND NOBODY HAS EVEN MENTIONED THE PERSUADERS FLIP SIDE YET???

I guess that's another drawback to just grabbing mp3s.

I don't even know what the flipside is, even though I may have it. I got the "Love Gonna Pack Up..." ALBUM, better known as

I don't even know what the flipside is, even though I may have it.

"you must have put something in your love"

I don't even know what the flipside is, even though I may have it.

"you must have put something in your love"

Yep, that's on there. Great song.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

The two Atco albums that followed weren't bad either.