NY Hipsters Too Cool For The Census [sorta rr]

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Lame.

I worked the Census one year - a highrise on my street. I totally lucked out - I just went door-to-door, floor-to-floor. The people who had to do street residences like rooming houses, apartments above stores and basement apartments with no numbers and raging dogs were the real soldiers.

It was amazing, easily my favourite job after the library. I got to go into people's homes, help them fill out their forms, and meet so many people in my neighbourhood that I would not under normal circumstances. I got one door slammed in my face and a "go away" from the other side of the door, but most of the non-respondents would peer through the peep-hole and not answer the door. I had to go and cry in the stairwell after I left this one guy's place - he was in his 70s, lived alone and had lost his wife 10yrs prior. The loneliness was palpable and it shook me.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Census work is fun. I got paid 22 an hour to hike around parkland and look for homeless encampments.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

Mr. STARK: I guess it's laziness and like, what's the point? When it comes down to it, nobody wants to fill out like another form that's just like getting sent to your house that really relatively has nothing to do with your life.

Mr. STARK: I mean people would do if they got like five bucks. [/b]

Somebody should rape that guy repeatedly.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Hawaii has the lowest return rate, I think.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    ten years ago i was living there and i dont remember getting a census form let alone hearing about any census happening.

they probably should incentivize folks instead of paying for $130 mil christopher guest tv ad campaigns and $22/hour for some shit people would do for minimum wage.