Chillwave

OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Haters gona hate, but I've been enjoying some of this.
Anyone who fears that all the best genre names have already been taken might have had their suspicions confirmed while reading recent blogs describing a loosely defined new sound: lo-fi but pop; dance-influenced but bedroom-based; summery but melancholic. The dominant mood of songs such as Memory Tapes' Bicycle, Neon Indian's Deadbeat Summer and Washed Out's Feel It All Around is a kind of woozy nostalgia, with half-remembered 1980s pop pushed through a psychedelic filter.Within weeks of these songs appearing last summer, the fledgling sound was given names by turns pretentious (hypnagogic pop), twee (lo-fi) and plain ugly (chillwave, coined in jest but the most popular of the three).Because its practitioners were geographically scattered and somewhat hermetic, it was at first an entirely blog-based phenomenon. In this hothouse atmosphere, trends are pronounced over almost as soon as they have begun. One blogger even wrote last autumn that chillwave had "probably peaked this September to coincide with nostalgia over summer 2009". Summer 2009? Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

• HamHam 872 Posts
    Toro y Moi is great, this track is amazing:

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

nice, I remember hearing this for awhile, probably 2009, what a badass shot at the end of that video - rainbow, flying, clouds, & water. dayum.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    grab that vinyl if you see it anywhere, already a "future raer"

nice nice stuff, been feeling that LP for a minute

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    "All recorded in his parent's home in the rural Georgia town where he grew up"

loner dreams come alive!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    loving these

thanks for the discovery

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    This is really great sh*t.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Toro y Moi is great, this track is amazing:

This and the 1st video are winning. I think we're witnessing what will be looked back on as a new genre of music. There's a bunch of this stuff coming out too. Bugged out hybrid of sampling/live/lo fi/etc. I'm all about it. A lot of it is crap and derivative, but there's some gems out there. I'm just ready for some new shit.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    A friend of mine has been throwing this stuff at me for a while now to see if any of it sticks and, against all expectations, some of it has. While some of it sounds like a 12" dub edit of 10cc's I'm not in love there's a good few tracks I'm liking. Great woozy summertime music. Can't really get with Ariel Pink though apart from this one which is pure classic eighties pop:

Like some Memory Tapes as well.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Wasn't someone trying to tag this kind of stuff as "nu-gaze" not so long back? Quite a bit of it reminds me of some of Boards Of Canada's less abstract moments.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Wasn't someone trying to tag this kind of stuff as "nu-gaze" not so long back? Quite a bit of it reminds me of some of Boards Of Canada's less abstract moments.

I'm sure they probably were, it also gets called Glo-fi.

I see the BoC similarities but always found them lacking something. I think it's the 'beats'. The synths, melodies etc are really well done, but their drums/rhythms always just plain ruin it.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    their drums/rhythms always just plain ruin it.

Indeed. The hard work they undoubtedly put in being ruined by the somewhat cut-and-shut nature of the beat interface.

I accuse The Rurals of similar crimes, albeit on a more petty scale - their poorer beats are at least mixed less intrusively. And their chords are lusher.

Vrai Tetes: Speak on the ouput of:

Hatchback
    Sorcerer

electro-surfer beats?

Vrai Tetes: Speak on the ouput of:

Hatchback
    Sorcerer

electro-surfer beats?

Yacht-tronica? See also; Windsurf.

What I've heard I quite like. You kind of know what you're going to get from any act that takes its name from a Stevie Nicks song.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    some dude in the guardian accused Bullion of being "chill wave". lol

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    Going to see Washed Out tonight in Detroit. Will report back to this thread.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I like the Memory Tapes record a lot.

Best Coast for sure.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Yello? Any mixes out there of this schitt?

• beezerholmesbeezerholmes Edinburgh 59 Posts
    Yello? Any mixes out there of this schitt?

Maybe not exactly tailored to this glo-fi/nu gaze stuff, this mix has quite a few bits and bobs that sound right.

Pandemonium Jones - Splendid Moments 2009

Atlas Sound - Shelia
    Lotus Plaza - A Threaded Needle
    Bear In Heaven - You Do You
    Flaming Lips - Silver Trembling Hands
    Neon Indian - Mind, Drips
    Washed Out - Feel It All Around
    Junior Boys - Parallel Lines
    Animal Collective - My Girls
    Delorean - Seasun
    Memory Tapes - The Green Knight
    Small Black - Despicable Dogs
    Best Coast - Sun Was High (So Was I)
    Boris - Black Original
    Wavves - Vermin
    A Sunny Day In Glasgow - Evil, With Evil, Against Evil
    Volcano Choir - Still
    Lucky Dragons - We Made Our Own Government
    Banjo Or Freakout - Breath Out
    Beach House - Norway
    Mt. Eerie - Between Two Mysteries
    Fourtet And Burial - Moth
    Dan Deacon - Wet Wings
    Kurt Vile - Beach On The Moon

• beezerholmesbeezerholmes Edinburgh 59 Posts

Also this is good.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    Going to see Washed Out tonight in Detroit. Will report back to this thread.

Live show was only ok. The opening group, Small Black, somehow affiliated with Washed out, was not so hot and played for way too long. Washed Out was cool enough, but I think the crowd can only get so enthused when the only thing live about the show are his effected/affected vocals. Pretty uplifting music, though.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Oh yeah, I've been playing Neon Indian for a while, this stuff is great. I've only heard it referred to as GloFi before.
    I wish I knew about this long enough ago to cop the Washed Out 7"

i mentioned neon indian on here almost a full year ago and was met with crickets and now people are jumping on washed out????

i feel like im taking crazy pills.

^^^ early adopter.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts

i mentioned neon indian on here almost a full year ago and was met with crickets and now people are jumping on washed out????

i feel like im taking crazy pills.
    Thats when I started listening! Thanks Martin.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    OBJECT width="470" height="353">PARAM name="movie" value="http://video.rutube.ru/d15801a98e9e71a708a4d7f119e6a61d">/PARAM>PARAM name="wmode" value="window">/PARAM>PARAM name="allowFullScreen" value="true">/PARAM>EMBED src="http://video.rutube.ru/d15801a98e9e71a708a4d7f119e6a61d" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="window" width="470" height="353" allowFullScreen="true" >/EMBED>/OBJECT>

kinda almost

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

For some reason reminds me of that.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I FUX WITH THIS CHILLWAVE SHIT PRETTY HARD RIGHT NOW
    IT TIGHT

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What distinguishes Chillwave from previous Electronica Sub-Genres like Chill/Chill-Out, Lounge, and Downtempo?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Or brostomp, nine-step, skifflecore, wavegaze, gazewave, pastehop, meatronica....