Providing atmoshpere vs. making people dance

BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Seems like my past three dj gigs I've had, have been providing ambiance/background noise at events, schitt is boring. I prefer to make people dance.

Comments

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Depends on the venue/spot/etc.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

True, I guess if I was doing background for a vogue or vicki secret pre-party I wouldn't be crying.

True, I guess if I was doing background for a vogue or vicki secret pre-party I wouldn't be crying.

I just started a loose type gig at a restaurant.

I dont expect folks to dance (dinner-related) but on a drunk and late evening anything could happen.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Cree Summer & Sade 4 Dayz!

Cree Summer & Sade 4 Dayz!

LOL!!! U know i try to pull out that extra cheesy shit during dinner.

Sneak in some Lawrence Hilton Jacobs and get funny looks.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    There is no pressure as a DJ when you are providing ambience at a restaurant gig and a lot of them pay well but it is over time pretty unfulfilling as a DJ. I did one restaurant gig at a pretty high class joint and played super mellow jazz/soul shit and nearly put myself to sleep- seriously i started to nod off after a few beers (NAGL)

There is no question getting a dance floor happening is where its at but a well paid ambience gig I would take everytime

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I played at a store a week ago and even though you don't get the direct feedback you get from a dance floor, I like playing stuff like Shuggie Otis and having people come up like "What is this"? Easy to forget how much good music that's basically unknown to people, and without the whole club madness, you can talk about it, write names down etc. without having to multitask like crazy.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Making people dance only. You want ambiance, get an iPad.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Seems like my past three dj gigs I've had, have been providing ambiance/background noise at events, schitt is boring. I prefer to make people dance.

What are you playing, where are you spinning?

vs ?

Dancin is cool, but i actually find it more challenging to play non-Dance shit and keep some sort of coherent style/flavor that folks enjoy vs tieing together 4/4 beats for 6 hours. Both have its merits, but setting a 'mood' has its rewards.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

Dancin is cool, but i actually find it more challenging to play non-Dance shit and keep some sort of coherent style/flavor that folks enjoy vs tieing together 4/4 beats for 6 hours. Both have its merits, but setting a 'mood' has its rewards.

Yeah, I feel that. I guess I should open my mind a bit. I need the guapp.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Random moment to share:

Last night, I was DJing at the Redwood Bar and a bunch of 30-40 something white folks, celebrating a birthday, came into the backroom where I was spinning. At first, I feared Chad/Becky invasion but when they IDed a Meters song, I decided to throw on "Big Chief" upon which they all started going nuts and shouting "who dat!"

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

i prefer prepping for mood setting and it's more fun to tell a story that way
    its more self gratifying to...like you hear your own private mindgarden afternoon

dancing has more ehilirating responses from the crowd but its also more pressure and sharper critique-vibes if you play a dud

yin and yang of DJing IMO

because you actually have to keep the flow moving even with ambiance
    and you have to set the pre and post mood on the dancefloor

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Anyone ever dj a brunch?
    I had someone ask me to do it at a restaurant they run and i had to pass. Seems kinds