Road Tripping

2»

Comments

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    After you hit Memphis, you should steer north-east toward the Land Between the Lakes on the border of Kentucky and Tenn., Do Not go to St. Louis for parks and outdoors, stay within Kentucky hit the Daniel Boone National Forest or Cumberland Falls before heading north to Lexington, Kentucky.

Will do, thanx for the advice!

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Southern Utah's what's up. If you're into the outdoors it's a must to experience this bizarre alien landscape.

Seriously.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    crestone colorado (near the sand dunes) is a really interesting little town -- a little wacky, but lots worth a look if you are around. The mountain range there is incredible.

Telluride, CO is also a great town during the summer. Lots of good music festivals. Some are a little hippied out, but definitely worth it. They have a Blues and Brews festival at the end of the summer. Saw James Brown play there when I was in college. I remember he said at the beginning of his set "This is just about the most beautiful place I have ever been."

Arches and Canyon Lands National Parks (near Moab, UT) are also both worth a visit.

I don't think we plan on attending any festivals, would you say Telluride would be essential for scenery? It seems to be a little out of the way but we definitely could pass through Crestone.

Thanx

Frank

I would say spending time in the mountains of Colorado is essential. Crested Butte is one of the most beautiful places in CO, alongside Telluride, plus my Aunt and Uncle own the best restaurant in town, so holler!

Also, if you hit up NM, listen to the knowledge that Gravelheadwrap dropped on page one. Huge cosign to all the recommendations he gave. New Mexico is my favorite place in the US, hands down.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    I would suggest stopping by crater lake in Southern Oregon is possible, wouldn't be to fare off your tentative map b/w:

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I would suggest stopping by crater lake in Southern Oregon is possible, wouldn't be to fare off your tentative map b/w:

You could skip most of the Oregon coast to hit this up. OR coast is pretty similar to N Cali coast. Either way its a good trip.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

You could skip most of the Oregon coast to hit this up. OR coast is pretty similar to N Cali coast. Either way its a good trip.
    This seems like a very good idea!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    crestone colorado (near the sand dunes) is a really interesting little town -- a little wacky, but lots worth a look if you are around. The mountain range there is incredible.

Telluride, CO is also a great town during the summer. Lots of good music festivals. Some are a little hippied out, but definitely worth it. They have a Blues and Brews festival at the end of the summer. Saw James Brown play there when I was in college. I remember he said at the beginning of his set "This is just about the most beautiful place I have ever been."

Arches and Canyon Lands National Parks (near Moab, UT) are also both worth a visit.

I don't think we plan on attending any festivals, would you say Telluride would be essential for scenery? It seems to be a little out of the way but we definitely could pass through Crestone.

Thanx

Frank

I would say spending time in the mountains of Colorado is essential. Crested Butte is one of the most beautiful places in CO, alongside Telluride, plus my Aunt and Uncle own the best restaurant in town, so holler!

Also, if you hit up NM, listen to the knowledge that Gravelheadwrap dropped on page one. Huge cosign to all the recommendations he gave. New Mexico is my favorite place in the US, hands down.

So maybe we should go like this:

From Great Falls we'll head to Portland, then slowly going down South to LA. From there into Death Valley to Vegas. Then to Flagstaff AZ and from there continue on Route 66, crossing New Mexico into Texas and at Amarillo go South-East across Texas towards New Orleans...

What would be a good spot in New Mexico to leave Route 66 for some more in-depth local exploring?

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    California wine country is my hood. I'd be happy to show you the best and worst, if you're interested. It's all I do.

Interesting... so you're a wine guide?

Officially and unofficially. Even if I can't get free time myself, I can set some nice things up for you in terms of free winery tours. Hit me on PMs...

• Frank, hit me up if you want a dinner on me in NOLA or perhaps my secret
    100yr old out-in-the-swamp fish house.
    You know I owe you one.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    California wine country is my hood. I'd be happy to show you the best and worst, if you're interested. It's all I do.

I suggest a stop in Calistoga, a quaint little town just north of Napa. Wifey and I are seriously considering retiring there as they have good local restaurants, live entertainment, access to great local vineyards, and it's quite tranquil.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Thanx Big Stacks, looks real nice and might be a perfect spot for a stop-over.

I might just take you up on that, A***** appreciate the thought!

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Frank for new mexico i suggest going to White Sands National Monument, then going through the Gila and taking the Trail of the Mountain Spirits. There are hot springs next to the trail where you can park and just check them out. You could check out the cliff dwellings in that area too.

http://www.oldwestcountry.com/tmpl1.php?CID=8YQTA

View Larger Map

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Frank for new mexico i suggest going to White Sands National Monument, then going through the Gila and taking the Trail of the Mountain Spirits. There are hot springs next to the trail where you can park and just check them out. You could check out the cliff dwellings in that area too.

http://www.oldwestcountry.com/tmpl1.php?CID=8YQTA

View Larger Map

Awesome! That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanx!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    fank...for real, get up on your hotsprings/cold springs websites and check them out all along the way. mw and whitelily got completely off trail and lost in the wilds of the gila national forest trying to find hot springs. oof.

new mexico Is amazing. definitely camp out in the City of Rocks state park if you can. one of th ehighlights for me.

in mississippi, from jackson, drive down the NAtchez Trace and check out the Emerald Mound. there are some spirit infused places along the way. ive had crazy life altering visions down there. the road will leave you in natchez

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I'm not big on camping... but I guess we should better bring a tent, huh? Or would I be able to find a motel within 2-3 hours from most places?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I'm not big on camping... but I guess we should better bring a tent, huh? Or would I be able to find a motel within 2-3 hours from most places?

Camping can be a blast in the right place, even if it's not your thing.

The minimum you'll need is a tent with a screen top (and fly) for star viewing, sleeping bags you can zip together and sleeping pads.

Join AAA too (not camping related), if your car breaks down it can be a life/money saver. Tell them about your trip and they'll heap maps and discounts on you also.

• A lantern is key as well

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    and lots of rifles

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Your a lucky man Frank, 6 weeks on the road, I can only dream.

I'll take your 3 dogs for six weeks if you take my 3 kids... two are toilet trained.

ps give camping a shot... the states has some of the most spectacular national parks in the world and the best way to see them is with a tent and a good pair of hiking boots.