Gardening Strut

gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
any home gardeners in this place? we are on year 3 of the garden (8'x8'). our soil looks great this year (we started on mostly clay). got a handful of herbs planted, the rest is still incubating under the guest room window. we plant the usual.. tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, some random fruits/flowers. trying to step up my hot pepper game this year, also going to venture into planting hops (plan on home brewing at some point).apologies in advance to all my "hood" dwellers, for this rural nonsense.

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    urban gardening in the hood since 2002

taken a hiatus due to house construction, but i have definite plans for concord grapes, raspberry and rose bushes (for security)

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

taken a hiatus due to house construction, but i have definite plans for concord grapes, raspberry and rose bushes (for security)

have you done grapes in the past? ive always been interested but they appear to be complex to care for.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    any home gardeners in this place? we are on year 3 of the garden (8'x8'). our soil looks great this year (we started on mostly clay). got a handful of herbs planted, the rest is still incubating under the guest room window. we plant the usual.. tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, some random fruits/flowers. trying to step up my hot pepper game this year, also going to venture into planting hops (plan on home brewing at some point).

apologies in advance to all my "hood" dwellers, for this rural nonsense.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

have you done grapes in the past? ive always been interested but they appear to be complex to care for.

Concords are pretty hardy once they're established.

My friend has some, though, and her cat won't stop eating the vines even though it makes him sick.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    the concords jus need sun, you train them onto a trelace, prune them back considerably at the end of winter, and enjoy the bounty.