fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
dont know if this is a but haha ikea crap

Comments

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    dont know if this is a

but haha

ikea crap

this scares me, any one know the details, did it just let go or was there a reason?

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    with the millions they build there will be a few less stable between them i reckon.
    faulty glue/bad wood
    id say beware of earthquakes.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    4 wooden bolts aren't meant to support that many vinyl records, owner's fault methinks.

Taking wifey shopping at IKEA is a guarantee for some rock 'n' roll that night.

Respect the swedes...

• I build my own shit so I dont F*ck with Ikea at all but this is probably a result of

a)incorrect assembly

b)owner ignoring the advice on how much weight it would bear.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    my big expidit (the 5x5er) has never had any issues. i bought it around 1998 and they changed the way they're made now. mine has 4 metal supports at each corner on the back making it much sturdier than the expidits they're making now.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    This image has been discussed before, but the guy set it up ass backwards. The long shelves are supposed to be running horizontally and the short sections are supposed to be used as vertical spacers (that also help support the weight of the shelves). He had the records resting on the short pieces, so those crappy little pegs were the only thing supporting the weight of the records. Fail.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    oh wow... "this side up"

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    He also needs to clean his kitchen. And for the love of god, just throw out the box your crappy Numark portable came in.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I just moved, disassembled and reassembled my 4 by 4 expedit. It feels a bit wobblier now but it should hold up ok.

Wasn't dude from Funny People German, btw? I feel like I remember all references to Sweden in movies I see.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    This image has been discussed before, but the guy set it up ass backwards. The long shelves are supposed to be running horizontally and the short sections are supposed to be used as vertical spacers (that also help support the weight of the shelves). He had the records resting on the short pieces, so those crappy little pegs were the only thing supporting the weight of the records. Fail.

this is how i accidentally set up my 4x4 expedit. i discovered this when i was done and didn't wanna do it all over again. thankfully there are only records in four of the slots thogh, the rest is books....

• ddownddown 65 Posts

Exactly. Epic fail.

If you assemble it correctly, they're pretty damn sturdy.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    A bit more pricey then Ikea, but way more attractive, IMO, and way sturdier to boot.

http://loadbearing.com/