Hipsters - R.I.P. (Salon.com R)

SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
I hope this isn't a April Fools joke but here is the link:The End Of The Hipster I am sure this is a http://www.latfh.com/

Comments

• the only thing more annoying than hipsters are "journalists" who keep foisting these snickering, repetitive stories on us.

maybe they should try and dream up some new topic to cover....hmmm how about some stories on how vinyl is coming back into fashion again?

• Ok - ive been hearing the hipster is dead talk for like 2 years now. the fact that this conversation is still going on tells me one thing - nobody knows what a hipster is, or can define it. The thick rim glasses and moustaches definition is dumb as hell - cause thats a fashion trend, like any other. but we dont qualify any other fashion trend on existential lines.. ive yet to find a hipster who would admit to being a hipster.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    ive yet to find a hipster who would admit to being a hipster.

Same thing with the term "yuppie." In the eighties and early nineties, you heard the term thrown around all the time, but you never heard anybody talkin' 'bout "HEL-LO! I AM A YUPPIE."

the only thing more annoying than hipsters are "journalists" who keep foisting these snickering, repetitive stories on us.

maybe they should try and dream up some new topic to cover....hmmm how about some stories on how vinyl is coming back into fashion again?

It is? When did that happen?

They should have a "Record Store Day," that would really bring vinyl back.

• the only thing more annoying than hipsters are "journalists" who keep foisting these snickering, repetitive stories on us.

just now actually. the topic is utterly, 100% played out.

making fun of hipsters is the new mardi gras w/o the bells around here...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

But nowhere near as entertaining.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    The thick rim glasses and moustaches definition is dumb as hell - cause thats a fashion trend, like any other. but we dont qualify any other fashion trend on existential lines.

Isn't that the point/problem, though? There's no ideology, just fashion.

the only thing more annoying than hipsters are "journalists" who keep foisting these snickering, repetitive stories on us.

just now actually. the topic is utterly, 100% played out.

Fish: I was not responding to that part of the post.

I was sarcastically commenting on the "vinyl is back" sentence that you edited out:

Although now that you mention it, I think some of these fake journalists have to go, too...

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

Although now that you mention it, I think some of these fake journalists have to go, too...

My neighbor just handed me a "Vinyl is back!" article in the AARP* Magazine, which makes it official - every single publication in the U.S. has done an article on this subject.

*(AARP = American Association of Retired Persons)

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts

My neighbor just handed me a "Vinyl is back!" article in the AARP* Magazine, which makes it official - every single publication in the U.S. has done an article on this subject.

*(AARP = American Association of Retired Persons)

this is just whats needed, a million senior citizens being like, oh wow so i guess this mantovani record is worth millions!

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

But nowhere near as entertaining.

haha

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    haha my alma mater is hipster ground zero. Deal bitches.

I did acid in the Pine Forest.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    The essence of the whole hipster thing is that no one can really define what it is. Its lazy journalism at its worst. They can't pinpoint what todays 20' somethings actually like so they throw around a bunch of generalizations. Facial hair,Tattoos, skinny jeans, fixed gear bikes and glasses. I just read an article about hipsters it today in the local paper and they interview this guy because he has a beard and is in his mid 20s.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    played out or not, this is funny
    http://www.cracked.com/funny-4573-hipster/

"Hipster" is another one of those subcultures that is hard to nail down. It can refer to any number of bands, people or situations. But just like emos have bitchiness and goths have acne scarring, hipsters can generally be identified by their completely unwarranted arrogance.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    It's funny because the whole hipster look. The chain wallets, goodwill clothes, ironic t-shirts, tattoos, veganism, indy rock thing was so big at my school nearly 2 decades ago. So I guess we should get some of the blame for this.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    ^That was called grunge wasn't it ?
    Well i don't drink millers of blue ribbion so i feel safe.

It's funny because the whole hipster look. The chain wallets, goodwill clothes, ironic t-shirts, tattoos, veganism, indy rock thing was so big at my school nearly 2 decades ago.

Well, no one ever said there was an expiration date on this stuff, did they? Bad taste is timeless.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    It's funny because the whole hipster look. The chain wallets, goodwill clothes, ironic t-shirts, tattoos, veganism, indy rock thing was so big at my school nearly 2 decades ago. So I guess we should get some of the blame for this.

Dude, Hampshire didn't need to be responsible for hipsterism to be a magnet for mockery(said the UMass alum).