LAWRENCE WELK: the lost fusion sessions??

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Have you guys heard this?This is from the press release:
In 1976, Lawrence Welk had a solid niche going as the King Of Champagne Music. His famed television show lived on in syndication, and although his Ranwood albums never charted anymore, a recently-compiled compilation sold exclusively via TV ads was doing well. Yet, at 73, Welk wanted more.Keeping his ears open to the new sounds, he found himself influenced by the smooth sounds of Patrice Rushen, Herbie Hancock, Deodato and Lonnie Liston Smith. Jazz-fusion was the new style of the day, combining the intricate chords and rhythms of jazz with the energy of rock and the naturalness of funk. At the time, renowned session drummer Paul Humphrey was gigging with the Welk band, and is credited with exposing welk to this new style. Abandoning his accordion for the Fender Rhodes, Welk quickly wrote a batch of originals in this style. He sought out the production skills of Creed Taylor. An old associate of Welk's from decades past, Taylor played a huge role in bringing jazz to the forefront via his CTI/Kudu label. Taylor was too busy working on a Ron Carter session, so he passed it on to the production team who really put fusion on the map: the Mizell Brothers.Released in May, 1976, Welk's Condition Of Man arrived to a world that was not ready. His regular fans complained that the funk tempos were difficult to waltz to, while the fusion crowd reacted to his name and prior reputation, deciding to avoid it altogether. But the LP has remained a cult favorite for decades. British deejay John Peel played it regularly on his UK radio show, Binky Griptite told Wax Poetics that this was one of his Top 10 desert island discs, and Common's first album (back when he was still known as Common Sense) included a sample of the title track. The album included seven instrumental originals penned by Welk himself, plus a guest appearance from Guy & Ralna (regulars on Welk's TV show), singing on a cover version of Ramsey Lewis' "Sun Goddess."Condition Of Man will be released on March 9, with four bonus tracks not on the original album. Digital downloads will be available on April 6. Soundclips can be heard at the Ranwood Records website: www.ranwood.com.
As you've likely guessed, the CD came out with little fanfare, but I just picked up a copy at Dusty Groove. It's actually credible...sounds like outtakes from Johnny Hammond's Gears album, and Welk acquits himself well on Fender Rhodes and synth. What is the Soulstrut verdict?

Comments

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I would very much like to hear this.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It was much better than I would have expected. Take off Welk's name and you could have credibly sold it as some obscure Euro-jazz gem. In terms of strange pairings, it's up there with the Johnny Mathis/Chic album.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I'm sure that just like Al Hirt's Soul In The Horn, copies of Welk's Condition Of Man have been under our noses in the 99-cent bin for ages, yet we flipped on by thinking it was just another LP of champagne music. I suspect all the Tommy Digalots in their Luv 'N' Haight hoodies are probably snapping up all those cheap copies for themselves, now...our loss, because this album is seriously solid, on a par with Head Hunters.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    haaaaaa, very well crafted though...... this has to be a april fools thing right ?

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

Abandoning his accordion for the Fender Rhodes

Soulstrut verdict?

Upskiboo, don't knock it till you tried it!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I just picked up a copy at Dusty Groove.

Did you now?

I guess I'll have to look at the Dusty Groove site a little harder....

• any truth to the story that "condition of man" inspired the cos to do the "badfoot brown..." album?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Oh man, I can't beleive I fell for that.

Oh man, I can't beleive I fell for that.

((((GASP))))

Gary, Horseleech, and the rest - I am shocked at you!?!?

Now, we've all traded record trivia. We've hipped each other to lost, overlooked gems.

DO YOU SERIOUSLY BELIEVE THAT OLE PICKWICK WOULD TRY TO BULLSHIT YOU??[/b]

(answer: "yes")

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Hahaha - Well done!

• LOL---you totally had me going there. brilliant.

But one thing is true...I think Paul Humphrey really did gig with Lawrence Welk at one point, going by an drum endorsement ad I once saw.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    for real though, there is a funky lawrence welk record
    i got it at my moms crib. he looks mad serious on the cover.
    loops like hulahoops and some beats to make you wild like...

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    this record will shake up the drum & bass world forever!

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Is is badder than this TITTYSHAKER?