overrated hip hop artists article in unkut

BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
http://www.unkut.com/2010/03/five-zealously-overrated-and-often-dead-hip-hop-artists/#more-3436some of this reads like it was written on soulstrut.so whats your verdict.

Comments

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Wow, I'd agree Madlib is an overrated MC if you happened to watch that Stones Throw revisionist Dilla docu.

Freddie Gibbs is not gonna sell any records ever but I enjoy his music. Out of the guys on that XXL cover, he is the only one who isn't completely unlistenable.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Bonus Traveler?s Tip For Jay: Next time you find yourself walking around Meserole Avenue moaning about the rain and not having a slice of pizza to eat, try walking a few blocks over to the corner of Franklin Street and Greenpoint Ave and taking advantage of the Aligator Lounge?s ?free personal pizza with every beer offer?. It?s probably just what you?re looking for.

This shit sounds way too British though, overall

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    He's spot-on about Madlib. It's the lack of quality control that's the problem there, although the hordes of Madlib stans declaring his every last note to be a work of genius doesn't really help anyone's perspective.

The bit about Jay Elec was funny, even if I don't actually agree with him.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    "A while back, someone commented that Dilla was the new 2Pac in terms of attracting zealous, ludicrously defensive fans. Unfortunately, he was right"

TRUTH

the line about Premier taking two rapping retards and making a great record was pretty funny also...

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

Bonus Traveler?s Tip For Jay: Next time you find yourself walking around Meserole Avenue moaning about the rain and not having a slice of pizza to eat, try walking a few blocks over to the corner of Franklin Street and Greenpoint Ave and taking advantage of the Aligator Lounge?s ?free personal pizza with every beer offer?. It?s probably just what you?re looking for.

not for nothing, but there are 2 Meseroles in Brooklyn. One's burried out in Bushwick, and the other is a nice tree lined st. in Greenpoint. I was actually supposed to meed someone on Leonard and Meserole once, and he called me saying he was there. I stood there looking around and saw nothing. For a minute I thought we were in different dimentions.

I thought that as well, but the other is Meserole St... Jay Elect said "Meserole Ave"... either way, it reminded me of the time a blogger thought Jay-Z was referring to North 8th Street in Williamsburg instead of 8th Street in Manhattan.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    But the question remains: how good can a personal pizza be if they're giving them away with the purchase of a beer?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    answer: its gross

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    4. Bun B & Pimp C As Soloists

Together, Bun B and Pimp C are a good combination, like a down south Tribe with big Bun?s studious flow complimented by Pimp?s catch phrases, and with ?One Day? they can lay claim to one of about three genuinely poignant rap songs. On their own though, they?re close to intolerable ? as bad as attempting to listen to an entire album of Phife and his incessant American sports references. Where Bun B?s flow perks up a track when he?s used as a guest rapper, three verses of him rhyming alone soon becomes as abrasively off-putting as a barrage of Papoose freestyles. And while Pimp C admittedly did say, ?It?s Pimp C, bitch!? better than any other rapper ever, on his own he comes across like a bad attempt at Too $hort on a karaoke night.

Apparently dude who wrote this is neither a Hogg in the Game nor able to recognize one.

Talk that shit bout Pimp down here and straight get yaself hurt.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    i felt like there was more than a hint of going on in that article.

Those who consider 2Pac overrated should not be allowed to write about hip-hop for reasons of disconnectedness.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    "there was an in-joke that you could sell pretty much anything on eBay by putting ?Madlib? as a term in the item description. I tested it out by listing a piece of A4 paper with ?Madlib is gay? scrawled on it in purple marker pen. Two people actually bid on it?"

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    He's spot-on about Madlib. It's the lack of quality control that's the problem there, although the hordes of Madlib stans declaring his every last note to be a work of genius doesn't really help anyone's perspective.

I just listened to Mos Defs Ecstatic and was pleasantly surprised to hear someone really make something really good of the Madlib beatflood again.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts

I just listened to Mos Defs Ecstatic and was pleasantly surprised to hear someone really make something really good of the Madlib beatflood again.
    i don't think anyone's arguing he can't still make something good, it's just 1 in every 10 these days.

b/w diggin the spacey Incense track on the new Badu record...The Healer was dope from her last one too.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    everything Rasheid da God said in this thread.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    this list is doo doo.

people are overrating dilla as an MC? if anything he's overlooked as a pretty decent f*cking rapper.

and Madlib doesn't belong on this list either. (not that he's a fresh MC -- he's not -- but, like, do people really even rate him as an MC vs. as a producer?) I never hear him mentioned as a top ten MC or anything. it's his beats that are overrated not his rhymes.

plus the author is obviously a total f*cking pussy by mentioning 2Pac's overratedness in the preamble and not in the actual list on some "well *some* people consider pac overrated...." GTFOHWTBS you clearly think Pac is overrated so man up and say it.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    "there was an in-joke that you could sell pretty much anything on eBay by putting ?Madlib? as a term in the item description. I tested it out by listing a piece of A4 paper[/b] with ?Madlib is gay? scrawled on it in purple marker pen. Two people actually bid on it?"

TAKE THAT SHIT TO THEBRITS.COM

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    I like to think I'm pretty on top of music and keep up on newer artists and all... but who the hell is Freddie Gibbs? And is whoever wrote that not aware that Pimp C is dead and Bun B really doesn't have much choice in the matter these days?

• but who the hell is Freddie Gibbs?

This started out being a kind of bite of something Noz wrote about Freddie Gibbs and Pill, filtered through some authentic-style Tru-Skool haterism, and then it seems like the guy got halfway into the article, realized he didn't have shit, and tacked on some other random shit to get to the end. It all just falls apart and seems pointless.

I'm all for haterism (less so on the Tru Skool variety)... but I kind of wish dudes would just put like, a *little* effort into their writing. I mean, we don't really even have rap magazines anymore there's no reason to write like The Source.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    i felt like there was more than a hint of going on in that article.

Truth. More should of been said about Papoose. He was and still is way overrated! He should of been at number 1!

• I thought Papoose was pretty universally hated nowadays?

• who even rates Dilla and Madlib highly as emcees?

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    who even rates Dilla and Madlib highly as emcees?

EUROMAN

Dilla killed it on this one...