running into soulstrutters in the real world

oxnardcoreoxnardcore 141 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
i know a lot of yalls here are friends off-line, but has anyone here ever run into other soulstrutters by accident in the real world? or even just encountered people that you suspected to be soulstrutters? has anyone here ever introduced themselves in such situations? what do you say? i ask because today i ran into some soulstrut folks in the hip-hop vinyl aisle at amoeba hollywood. as i dug through the used vinyl section, i overheard 3 or 4 guys say things like "AP", "graemlin", and eventually "soulstrut". i was tempted to pull some "oh hey, you guys post on soulstrut? i do to!" shit, but then where would the conversation have gone from there? i was pretty sure i'd get the "uh, okay....." response anyways. has anyone ever attempted to introduce themselves like that?

Comments

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Run.... RUUUUUUN

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts
    i was tempted to pull some "oh hey, you guys like back rubs? i do to! the minivan is parked outside" shit, but then where would the conversation have gone from there?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    i was tempted to pull some "oh hey, you guys like back rubs? i do to! the minivan is parked outside" shit, but then where would the conversation have gone from there?

So you and Graf would be too 'cool' to say hello?

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts

So you and Graf would be too 'cool' to say hello?

next time you are in rural ass virginia feel free to say hi.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    as i dug through the used vinyl section, i overheard 3 or 4 guys say things like "AP", "graemlin", and eventually "soulstrut". i was tempted to pull some "oh hey, you guys post on soulstrut? i do to!" shit, but then where would the conversation have gone from there?

"Dude, you totally rocked it in that 'New Graemlin' thread!"

"Thanks! AP sent me a PM telling me how funny I was. Soulstrut rules!"

Yeah, I think you made the right choice by avoiding that conversation.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I run into Haz all the time, mostly because I work for him and sometimes he we eat Indian together. But otherwise, not so much.

When I move to New Brunswick I imagine I'll be the only strutter in the Canadian East Coast. I will be lonely.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    i know a lot of yalls here are friends off-line, but has anyone here ever run into other soulstrutters by accident in the real world? or even just encountered people that you suspected to be soulstrutters? has anyone here ever introduced themselves in such situations? what do you say?

i ask because today i ran into some soulstrut folks in the hip-hop vinyl aisle at amoeba hollywood. as i dug through the used vinyl section, i overheard 3 or 4 guys say things like "AP", "graemlin", and eventually "soulstrut". i was tempted to pull some "oh hey, you guys post on soulstrut? i do to!" shit, but then where would the conversation have gone from there? i was pretty sure i'd get the "uh, okay....." response anyways. has anyone ever attempted to introduce themselves like that?

was this last night?

if so that was me, Herm, Asprin and LaserWolf more than likely. we were standing around the hip hop section bullshitting for a while.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    man, i'm still new, i've started some seriously stupid beef with vetran strutters, and i'd love to meet most of you guys in the real world. i learn something new about music everyday here, and respect even the doods that make me shake my head. i'm really happy today because i've decided to quit my shit semi-cubicle/dirt-grease job to work in a grocery store once again.

• Options
    I run into Haz all the time, mostly because I work for him and sometimes he we eat Indian together. But otherwise, not so much.

When I move to New Brunswick I imagine I'll be the only strutter in the Canadian East Coast. I will be lonely.

I promise I'll visit, Dan.

K.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I knew a couple of the Toronto Strutters before I got here. I've now met Moss, HAZ, Rootless and DOR because of it.

If I was somewhere and I heard some nerds going off about SoulStrut and real world moves and AYO - I'd probably head in the opposite direction!

It feels a little odd to develop relationships/friendships but never get to hang out.

• i met cashless one night when i happened to be wearing a soulstrut shirt, he guessed who i was before i can blurt out my SS name.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i met cashless one night when i happened to be wearing a soulstrut shirt, he guessed who i was before i can blurt out my SS name.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    The only strutter that I personally know is LaserWolf and if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be posting (just listening to radio streams and such).

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Wow, that's something else...that was indeed us. Dan (lazerwolf) is in town and I took him out to Amoeba and as we were leaving, we ran into Herm and Daze so we shot the shit for a while. Even ran into the Vanguard Squad 45 there... took some pics with the phone. You should have introduced yourself...

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Before Soulstrut when there was just the Crates list I ran into Aser in a record store in Toronto, started talking and ended up hanging out with him and his friends for the day.

I also ran into Tripledouble when he was Philahobo at a record convention in Newark, CA. We talked records after the show was over and then found out who he was by posts on Soulstrut.

Found out Maru is actually sorta related to my family in an off way and had known him for a while beforehand because of that.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I know I've met 1 or 2 before I started coming here, since someone told me about SS in the first place. I know I've met atleast 15 people either through Traxx or Daily Operations, cause people brought up SS to me alot at both shops.

One day we should have a "Strut in T Dot" night somewhere. Not to talk about SS mind you. But just to hear some of the crazy chunes I read about on here.

Not you tho MissBassie.. I know you'd be scurred to let people know I could probably drink you under the table!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I'd be scurred to reveal my identity!

• i met cashless one night when i happened to be wearing a soulstrut shirt, he guessed who i was before i can blurt out my SS name.

• was this last night?

if so that was me, Herm, Asprin and LaserWolf more than likely. we were standing around the hip hop section bullshitting for a while.

yeah last night. probably didn't notice me, but i was diggin in the "new used" section holding a copy of the liquid swordz 12". i actually always assume that there's soulstrutters afoot whenever i go to a record shop or hip-hop/funk spot... especially at funky sole. me and my girl have this joke that all the people standing around and staring at cut/egon or whoever else and tryin to peep the labels on the records are probably soulstrutters... don't lie, i catch myself doing that shit too sometimes.

Wow, that's something else...that was indeed us. Dan (lazerwolf) is in town and I took him out to Amoeba and as we were leaving, we ran into Herm and Daze so we shot the shit for a while. Even ran into the Vanguard Squad 45 there... took some pics with the phone. You should have introduced yourself...

hi!

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    people on the board I know or have met in my life include... Young Einstein, King Moist Towelette, Big Chan, bboyparkz, DJ Stef, kenny, Cool Chris, skeletor, Paul Nice, james1ski.... I can't think... but I've never had anyone come up to me in a store, then again, I live in Japan/Australia...

• I met Cosmo at Triple Crown, and JP at his shop a few days before he opened.. I also saw Ross Hogg the night he burnt down Morissey Park but didn't get a chance to introduce myself.

I probably saw a few of you at the Sharon Jones show in the park yesterday...

but yeah I always feel dumb being like "hey I'm blah from Soulstrut, aren't you blahblah?"

• MassiveMassive 194 Posts
    Long time lurker, recent poster. I haven't met any Soul Strutters, but I think about most of you when I'm on the thrown pinchin a loaf.

That's just a bad joke. Chill out. I'd like to meet some peeps. I wish there were Soul Strut meets in Austin. At head-fi, a couple of us get together and check out each others analog equipment, headphones, preamps and other accoutrements. We exchange mixes, cds, burned dvds, and other media. If anyone wants to hang, holla at me.

• At head-fi, a couple of us get together and check out each others equipment, and other accoutrements. If anyone wants to hang, holla at me.

sounds... delicious