Top 13 Female MCs of all time (SS catnip-R)

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
Dunno about the rest of you, but even taking into account the inherent shittiness of lazy, list-based journalism, this list is particularly shitty. The #1 apparently deserves to be "near the top" of any best-of list, yet you guys are putting her at the top? You don't sound exactly certain of yourselves here.The #5 I had never even heard of before I clicked on this link. She's OK, but what is someone who's only made one album doing on any G.O.A.T. list? We're entering Stone Roses territory here, guys.Half the performers named haven't made an album (or a rap album, at least) in the last ten years. You might as well put Sweet Tee, Antoinette and Boss on that list.Female emcees get enough of a hard time as it is without people knocking off crappy "will this do?" blog posts like this just because they've got the hump about Drake talking up Nicki Minaj.You'll have to forgive me. I've got three album reviews to write and they're due tomorrow morning. I took a quick break and googled "Nikki & Rich" to find an absolute f*cking ocean of transparently obvious paid-for blog hype, one example of which led me to this article, and now I'm in a bad mood. And I still haven't finished the reviews.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    1. MC Lyte

• 1. MC Lyte

sadly, she is now trying to dj. STAY IN YOUR LANE.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I always liked Isis a.k.a. Lin Que. But I agree with Harvey, MC Lyte was the truth!!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    But where is Nicky Minaj?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    But where is Nicky Minaj?

She's on my list, but not for top female MC's. More like Female MC's gettin' on top!

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    1. MC Lyte
    Lady

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    1. Mia X

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    Invincible And Mc Lyte are really good, the rest i could care less for. Lauryn is a singer, her rapping doesn't do it for me. Boring list/topic, there isn't much to choose from out there.

Peace,Xavier

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    1. Mia X

2. MC Lyte

can we count Katey Red?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    1. MC Lyte

Exactly. After that...who knows? But Lyte takes the top spot; the rest are just competing for the silver medal.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    No Shante? Boooo....

• Options
    MC Lyte was the first name that came to mind before opening this. Didn't expect it would be a consensus!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    antoinette is/was a dime and dropped some ridiculous tracks

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    The inclusion of Lauryn so high reminds me of revisiting the Ego Trip book a few years ago and being constantly amused by the knee jerk inclusion of The Miseducation in a fair few of their best of lists.

This list is pretty depressing reading. Who was number 14? Neneh Cherry?

Mia X should definitely be in there.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Yeah, the whole thing reads like "here's the first thirteen female emcees we could think of apart from Nicki Minaj"

And if you're going to include rappers who didn't write all their own rhymes, then Shante and YoYo have as much right to be in there as Foxy or Lil' Kim. Probably more so.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Medusa (of Project Blowed) and Cliche (of Guerilla Maab) deserve mention at the very least.

And td, agreed on Antoinette.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Medusa (of Project Blowed)

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Rah Digga > Lil Kim,Latifah,Lauryn,and MC Lyte.

• Medusa (of Project Blowed) and Cliche (of Guerilla Maab) deserve mention at the very least.

i did a show with her as well as mc lyte... both know how to rock a crowd and keep it moving with class and ease.. true mcs. todays male "rappers" have no idea how to do this.

infact, spinning for mc lyte in front of 3k ppl, and running top billin' into cha cha cha, all improv remains a highlight of my career.
    lyte had 35+ crowd bringing her 1st lp to have autographed.
    thats respect and longevity right there.

act like lauryn didnt kill lost ones. come on son.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    mc lyte... both know how to rock a crowd and keep it moving with class and ease.. true mcs.

[MC Lyte]
    Funky Fresh dressed to impress ready to party
    Money in your pocket, dying to move your body
    To get inside you paid the whole ten dollars
    Scotch taped with a razor blade taped to your collar
    Leave the guns and the crack and the knives alone
    MC Lyte's on the microphone
    Bum rushin and crushin, snatchin and taxin
    I cram to understand why brother's don't be maxin
    There's only one disco, they'll close one more
    You ain't guarding the door
    so what you got a gun for?
    Do you rob the rich and give to the poor?
    Yo Daddy-O, school em some more

LL COOL J

act like lauryn didnt kill most of everything she dropped lyrics on. come on son.

besides her LP cover, i couldnt find any pics of her on the interwebs...but she always looked extra extra cute. not trying to objectify a good mc

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    This was my shit back in the day. Majorly underrated dis record.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts

act like lauryn didnt kill most of everything she dropped lyrics on. come on son.

yes!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• MC Lyte was the first name that came to mind before opening this. Didn't expect it would be a consensus!

Ju-just like a test
    I cram to understand you

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    this list is doo doo.

the lame ranking aside, it's clear from the little blurbs that the author(s) don't know much about rapp.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Cosign on medussa
    I saw her at some Project Blowed show and she rocked

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i like the raps from lauryn hill and have been a fan of jean grae since she was what?what? but i think bahamadia definitely deserved to be further up the list, the only thing of eve's i have ever liked was her verse on the roots you got me, so not sure why she was so far up there.