getting stickers off of records

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
does everybody use lighter fluid to do this? are there any other alternatives just as good? i know everybody says using teh lighter fluid is safe, but dammit, it's lighter fluid!!! my space is already a fire hazard, i just don't feel comfortable squirtin' that stuff around!! never gave a damn about stickers but some of these gotdam anal retentive azz eBay buyers are buggin' me about this schitt... need to eliminate all stickers to shut these fools up once and for all

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Goo Gone or a similar orange/citrus cleaner will work and isn't flammable (or inflammable), but it can stain some paper stocks.

A hair dryer can soften up some adhesives, but if the sticker is old this may not work. This method can also leave some visible residue behind.

Vegetable oil will also work, but you're bonkers to put that shit on a cover.

Lighter fluid is the best overall method I know of.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Lighter fluid is good because it evaporates. Goo gone sucks. It's messy.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Have you tried to heat the sticker directly with a lighter and peel it off? Works most of the time for me perfectly without any residue. Or you use a fan. I wouldn't put any liquid of any kind on record covers...

• ArksArks 133 Posts
    Have you tried to heat the sticker directly with a lighter and peel it off? Works most of the time for me perfectly without any residue. Or you use a fan. I wouldn't put any liquid of any kind on record covers...

lots of potential for epic fail with this method!

some people use nail polish remover also.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Everybody uses lighter fluid for a reason, you should just do the same!

Taking some elementary precautions will keep you from getting roasted; no smoking, no scented candles, no BBQ, just you and the records.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

this works well for me. i actually regret taking stickers off my records

• I definitely prefer goo gone to lighter fluid. The Ronsons just seems too toxic to be using indoors. If you apply the goo gone with a cue tip it cuts down on the messiness.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I've always got off what ever I can, very carefully and then use degreaser. A light spray of it on a what ever cloth you're using and wipe gently. I've even used this to remove unwanted marker or pen as well. But you have to be extra careful not to remove any of the color that's meant to be on the cover. DO NOT USE ON THE LABELS!!! You can also use fingernail polish remover in place of the degreaser. But, as with any of these methods, you have to be very gentle and careful. Good Luck!!

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    okay, so let me know the scientificals behind this: lighter fluid evaporates so once it evaporates it's no longer a hazard to, say, start a fire that will ignite in this small space full of flammable objects and burn down my house and engulf me, my wife and kids in flames and char our carcasses beyond recognition? i mean, i'm not playing with matches or anything while i'm cleaning records but I dunno... i just don't like having that schitt around in my house. my head fills with all kinds of worse-case-scenarios... i guess i'm just shook one, no?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    okay, so let me know the scientificals behind this: lighter fluid evaporates so once it evaporates it's no longer a hazard to, say, start a fire that will ignite in this small space full of flammable objects and burn down my house and engulf me, my wife and kids in flames and char our carcasses beyond recognition? i mean, i'm not playing with matches or anything while i'm cleaning records but I dunno... i just don't like having that schitt around in my house. my head fills with all kinds of worse-case-scenarios... i guess i'm just shook one, no?

I totally feel you!! I've never used lighter fluid, it just seems like an accident waiting to happen. I'm telling you bro, try what I said in my above post. You'll be satisfied and your family won't have to make funeral arrangements any time soon.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

I totally feel you!! I've never used lighter fluid, it just seems like an accident waiting to happen. I'm telling you bro, try what I said in my above post. You'll be satisfied and your family won't have to make funeral arrangements any time soon.

It's just not that dangerous.

Do you have rubbing alcohol in your house? Way more combustible.

Edit: A Bic lighter is a hand grenade by comparison.

Remember, for literally hundreds of years people walked around with Zippo style lighters full of lighter fluid in their pockets.

I'm pretty sure nobody died as a result

• Dunno what kind of super-stickers you guys are up against, but.
    I always do the opposite of when i'm pulling off a band-aid. veeeeeerry slowly. Usually does the trick.

Lighter fluid is no joke. A couple of years ago, lots of (very stupid) kids in my country got their faces burnt off when, after a long night of sniffing, one of the little geniuses lighted up a cigarette..

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    wtf??

i almost blew myse;f up when i tried dousing a fire in my backyard with a 5 gallon watr jug full of kerosene. i thought it was old algae rich water.

i almost jut cut my fingernail off with a router. lucky it wasnt worse

use a lighter and hold it to the price tag for a couple seconds and that shit will slide right off