Update on Abbey Road Studio Situation

discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
Couldn't find the old thread about this, but thought I would share:
Grade-II listed status for Abbey Road studiosEnglish Heritage and the Department of Culture, Media and Sport responded quickly last week to the news that EMI, the British music company, was considering the sale of its world-renowned recording studios at Abbey Road. With no statutory designation to prevent a new owner redeveloping the building, English Heritage asked the Government to fast-track a listing application for the site that had been submitted in 2003.English Heritage was backed by a spontaneous public campaign that quickly gathered international support, and even had the National Trust suggesting that it would acquire the building if necessary as a last resort. Such measures proved unnecessary when EMI said that it had no intention of selling the 1830s villa, converted to a recording studio in 1931. Two days later, on 23 February 2010, the Department of Culture announced that it had accepted the recommendation of a Grade II listing for the studios ?in acknowledgement of their outstanding cultural interest and to ensure that recording artists for generations to come can continue to make and record music in the same rooms as musical icons of years gone by?.English Heritage issued a statement saying that it was ?delighted that the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport had endorsed our advice and listed the building?. Fellow Simon Thurley, Chief Executive of English Heritage, said: ?Some of the defining sounds of the twentieth century were created within the walls of the Abbey Road Studios ? which act as a modern-day monument to the history of recorded sound and music.?
http://www.sal.org.uk/salon/index_html?id=1225#section9

Comments

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I know I read the original Potato Worthy thread (with Twoply) but I can't for the life of me figure out what it means.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    about bloody time

• I oferred a Wendy's? baked potatoe to the third place winner of last years PUTS remix contest, which Gary and Cas won with their banjo fueled kazoo edgey shit, and then i subsequently flaked out on buying.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I oferred a Wendy's? baked potatoe to the third place winner of last years PUTS remix contest, which Gary and Cas won with their banjo fueled kazoo edgey shit, and then i subsequently flaked out on buying.

This is true.

• no, no. I think it makes for a better story that i never gave them their prize. That way when i die they can receive an adjusted estate settlement, upping their ultimate payout to a baked potatoe AND a frosty.

see how that works? I got their best interest at heart.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    no, no. I think it makes for a better story that i never gave them their prize. That way when i die they can receive an adjusted estate settlement, upping their ultimate payout to a baked potatoe AND a frosty.

see how that works? I got their best interest at heart.

I like the mental picture of you at my funeral, walking up to my dear grieving wife with a 1/2 a baked potato in one hand and a 1/2 a frosty in the other. And with eyes downcast you say to her "excuse me, but I beleive this belongs to you now." And when she asks why there is only 1/2 you say "Cas isn't dead yet."

• I was gonna have sai mail some french fries to harrison but your idea might be better.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    That boy does love him some french fries. Enough for me to fake my own death? maybe......