Universal Robot Band Synth (make and model)

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
File under questions I shouldn't ask on Soulstrut but people on synthesizer boards just care about what Moby or Devo used.Does anyone know what exactly they were using for that signature sound? I've always been curious but my synth IDing ability is still limited.I'm writing a piece of Patrick Adams and so any weird related stories are welcome in this thread as well. Did Ferrari's mom ever have to kick Greg Carmichael out of their house? Did he then perouse the bins of the local record store only to find "Barely Breaking Even" in the trance section?

Comments

• It's a monosynth with a very fast glide, whatever it is

• I had always assumed it was an ARP Odyssey.

Maybe he the ARP 2600 also?

• could be a 2600, i think i detect fain hint of spring reverb tailing it which would def. make it a black face 2600

• Here's someone demoing one on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4SbDBGc2BY

About three minutes in you get a tone similar to that used on Barely Breaking Even.

• I'm writing a piece of Patrick Adams and so any weird related stories are welcome in this thread as well. Did Ferrari's mom ever have to kick Greg Carmichael out of their house? Did he then perouse the bins of the local record store only to find "Barely Breaking Even" in the trance section?

I just remembered a radio show from a while back where IG Culture interviewed Leroy Burgess and he explained how "Barely Breaking Even" came to be released... If I recall correctly it was originally intended for the Logg album but someone (Patrick Adams, I think) removed the tapes from the studio and put it out as Universal Robot Band...

It was one of the Holy Roller shows from Spine Magazine - past episodaes are available here (but I can't remember which one it was, sorry): http://212.188.141.171/mp3/

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I'm writing a piece of Patrick Adams and so any weird related stories are welcome in this thread as well. Did Ferrari's mom ever have to kick Greg Carmichael out of their house? Did he then perouse the bins of the local record store only to find "Barely Breaking Even" in the trance section?

I just remembered a radio show from a while back where IG Culture interviewed Leroy Burgess and he explained how "Barely Breaking Even" came to be released... If I recall correctly it was originally intended for the Logg album but someone (Patrick Adams, I think) removed the tapes from the studio and put it out as Universal Robot Band...

It was one of the Holy Roller shows from Spine Magazine - past episodaes are available here (but I can't remember which one it was, sorry): http://212.188.141.171/mp3/

thank you sir!

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Ok then, what synth/sound does the band Imagination use on the album "In the Heat of the Night"? I never hear that heavy synth from any other bands.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    If you watch the P&P doc that Peter Brown made (at least I think he made it), Patrick Adams goes into this a little and talks about how he was "the first to make his synth sing" or something to that effect. He doesn't really talk much about it or explain his methods - but if memory serves correct I believe he does demo a little.

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
    Ok then, what synth/sound does the band Imagination use on the album "In the Heat of the Night"? I never hear that heavy synth from any other bands.

My guess would be, a Roland Juno series synth or a Jupiter. Pretty famous for their bright brassy 80's sounds. A Dx7 was maybe on the bass.

just some educated guesses

• Does anyone know what synth was used to make that the main synthline that goes to a real high pitched note? I thought it might be an ARP Oddyssey too.

Any idea?

EDIT: nevermind did a google search and peoples are saying ARP 2600.

• Yes.

Case closed. Only synth rockin a built in spring reverb.
    Fire.

And fwiw, I dorm recomend anyone buy a Juno 6, 69 or 106. Had them all and prett useless. Now jupitor 8... Whoa ho ho shiggy shwing! Holy Grail.

• MrFingazMrFingaz 64 Posts
    What about this?

• Ouch.

Wousers in meh trouserS

Speaking of synthemesizers:

http://www.vbs.tv/watch/motherboard/electric-independence-vince-clarke

Roffle at dude talmbout Eurasia with a straight face but goddamn the synth collection is out of control.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I've been hangin at Muzika Mutato lately and was messin with a ARP 2600. That would be ill if it was on DEVO actually used. I'll have to ask.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    Yes.

Fire.

And fwiw, I dorm recomend anyone buy a Juno 6, 69 or 106. Had them all and prett useless. Now jupitor 8... Whoa ho ho shiggy shwing! Holy Grail.

why case closed? he could have been processing it eternally...running it thru a spring or plate reverb in the studio.

whatever synth it was it would have to have been in production in the 70s since those first Universal Robot Band records are from 76/77 and it seems like his sound didn't change much in the following years. My favorite is "Don't Let This Rainbow Pass Me By"...even when he messes up and hits wrong notes he makes it work and it becomes a hook...love me some Patrick Adams!

Yes.

Fire.

why case closed? he could have been processing it eternally...running it thru a spring or plate reverb in the studio.

whatever synth it was it would have to have been in production in the 70s since those first Universal Robot Band records are from 76/77 and it seems like his sound didn't change much in the following years. My favorite is "Don't Let This Rainbow Pass Me By"...even when he messes up and hits wrong notes he makes it work and it becomes a hook...love me some Patrick Adams!

Yes but is it a private funk breakbeat grail?

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    good point!

• My minimoog is rev d and dated 1967 it is a full producroon model as opposed to an ra moog model. The arp 2600, after a garage prodction run of blue meanies hit it's mass production stride in 1971 black face.

On my earliest black and gold labeled p&p 45's an arp 2600 can be clearly heard doing sound effect duty as opposed to leads. Is it possible u.r.b. Used a different synth fr a lead? Absolutely. Is it likely? Not really, there is a very distinct sproing to the 2600 spring. And, it sounds absolutely NOTHING like a plate. The only spring reverb that sounds remotely like a (detuned) plate is a BX20 because of the sheer physical size of te springs.

Both the arp and minimoog had been around for a decade by the time the disco stuff apexed, and, ironically, it probably would hve been considered pass? to use those synths at the time, which is why they probably were able to have them in thier studio. No exactly cutting edge technology.