Pryce CZech: AL ESCOBAR "Tighten Up" TICO 45

discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
b/w "The Horse"Just pulled this yesterday, and never knew it came out on 45!

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Nice find. It must be pretty rare. What's the catalog # on it?

• rawyouthrawyouth 112 Posts
    Wow, I always wanted this, but assumed it didn't exist!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Translation: PMing you now with big bucks offer!

In all seriousness, I would think a 7" of that song could easily sell $100-150. It's probably the best boogaloo version of that song (out of NY at least. The Los Johnny Jets version out of Mexico is pretty sweet too)

Yeah I'd pay at least $100 for it if I ever saw it. Nice find!

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

I'll scan it and all that when I get home from work.

In all seriousness, I would think a 7" of that song could easily sell $100-150. It's probably the best boogaloo version of that song (out of NY at least. The Los Johnny Jets version out of Mexico is pretty sweet too)
    I'm actually more interested in "The Horse" side--that's my jam.

I actually had that happen to me recently, I scored a copy of Bobby Valentin's Geronimo on 45, didn't know that existed either.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Isn't there ANOTHER bugalu "Tighten Up" that you guys are fiending over?

I forget his name, but he had an album on Columbia...cover featured a preppy-looking guy (the artist) in a red polo shirt sitting at a piano...I think there was a thread about this a year or two ago.

I forget his name, but he had an album on Columbia...cover featured a preppy-looking guy (the artist) in a red polo shirt sitting at a piano...I think there was a thread about this a year or two ago.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I was watching a 45 of tito puente's "Hit the bongo" thinkin I could scoop it for cheap. Didn't even know there was a 45 of that. $360 dollars later I found out my double digit bid just wasn't gonna cut it.

I imagine your escobar dude would perform similarly.

The Latin/Boogaloo 45s that the Northern dudes are also after can get pretty crazy.

The Latin/Boogaloo 45s that the Northern dudes are also after can get pretty crazy.

Seriously!

I get the sense that the Latin 45 market just hasn't been even known about until recent years. Pretty interesting possibilities there.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

There's also Larry Harlow's version, which he calls "Horsin' Up"

Seriously!

I get the sense that the Latin 45 market just hasn't been even known about until recent years. Pretty interesting possibilities there.

Not really surprising, since quite a few of those records were hit singles that occasionally crossed over to black radio. The ones I've seen the most are on Tico, which was distributed by Roulette (I think Alegre was too, at some point).

It's a mash-up of "Tighten Up" + "The Horse", hence the name. It's cool but it's not that essential. I thought Sonny Bravo's version was similarly undistinguished.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

It's a mash-up of "Tighten Up" + "The Horse", hence the name. It's cool but it's not that essential.

I agree, although that's not really my sound to begin with.

It's a mash-up of "Tighten Up" + "The Horse", hence the name. It's cool but it's not that essential. I thought Sonny Bravo's version was similarly undistinguished.

on both accounts.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Seriously!

Is this what has gone on with the Johnny Zamot craze? 4+ years ago almost all his records were going for 10x less than what they do now.

I have no ear for any of this stuff whatsoever.

I have no ear for any of this stuff whatsoever.

Stick to your modern soul xmas records!

T-1722, pressed on vinyl:

Do Jack Costanzo's Jive Samba or Don't Squeeze The Peaches exist on 45?

Do Jack Costanzo's Jive Samba or Don't Squeeze The Peaches exist on 45?

I've never seen the former on 7" but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

While we're on the subject of Latin forty-fives, anybody here familiar with "Brass Boogaloo" by Sounds Tropical on the Redd Robb label?