Who has seen these movies?

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
I had some time to catch up on some movies.Who has thoughts on these? This is one I can't stop thinking about for some reason. It makes me want to yell "VAGINA DENTATA!!" at random moments. This was awesome. Funny. Major letdown. It had its moments, and it really tried to be awesome, but just wasn't. I was mildly amused. It had its moments, but wasn't that great. This I loved. Took forever to get going, which I think is what is referred to as a "slow burn".

Comments

• And in related news:

Marijuana Use Triples Among Gary

COLUMBUS, OH?In an alarming trend that some are calling a failure of U.S. drug prevention policies, daily marijuana use increased nearly threefold this month among 26-year-old Gary.

Researchers at the Department of Health and Human Services are attributing the spike in cannabis consumption to a number of troubling factors, including Gary- related underemployment, decreased motivation, and prolonged exposure to Josh.

"This is very distressing, to say the least," said HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, who blamed the increase on a lack of programs designed to educate Gary about the dangers of marijuana. "As a nation, it is vital that we learn how to talk to Gary about drugs?and how to listen to what he's trying to tell us."

"We've failed to recognize warning signs such as boredom and a growing need to just chill out," Sebelius added. "But we intend to use every resource at our disposal to meet our goal of cutting marijuana use among Gary by half over the next 10 years."

A recent survey conducted by HHS suggests that the drug's recent popularity with Gary might be linked to his girlfriend Laura working longer hours lately, to his recent acquisition of a quarter ounce of weed, or to his growing belief that it is socially acceptable to be stoned as F*ck all day long.

According to federal records, daily Gary marijuana use began at age 15 and rose steadily over the next two years, only to plummet dramatically in 2001 when Gary's mother discovered the remains of a joint in an Altoids container on his dresser.

Despite the momentary decline, usage began creeping back up to previous levels almost immediately, with intake peaking in 2005 following the purchase of a sweet 3-foot glass bong.

"Our efforts to keep marijuana out of the hands of Gary have clearly been insufficient," said Benjamin Whitmore, a researcher with the National Institute on Drug Abuse who recently found evidence that Gary can easily obtain pot from that one guy who always scores the super dank shit with all the crystals. "He already smoked his half of the bag he split with Kevin, and now he's dipping into the rest of it. We're looking at a full-blown, Gary-wide crisis here."

Whitmore's study indicates that constantly being fried can have a variety of negative effects on Gary, including a sharp uptick in the viewing of crappy movies and a noted decrease in Pop-Tart reserves.

In addition, being so f*cking stoned all the time can affect job productivity, with Gary often delivering pizzas to the wrong house, or just showing up in customers' living rooms without thinking to bring their orders.

One local marijuana expert confirmed that the drug has become a regular routine?and even a lifestyle?for Gary.

"Dude, he's been smoking up like crazy," roommate Chip Nichols said while carefully breaking apart a bud on the sleeve of Herbie Hancock's 1974 record Thrust. "It's awesome. First thing each day he wakes and bakes, and then an hour later he's yelling that we've got to pack another bowl. He usually stops home between pizza deliveries to pull a couple tubes before driving back to work."

Continued Nichols, "Dude, he's been smoking up like crazy."

Nichols said that pot-smoking among Gary had steadily dropped off in 2009, reaching an all-time low early this February, a circumstance possibly connected to Laura's increasingly vocal disapproval of his habit and to Gary's dealer getting busted.

Despite her criticism of federal policies that have failed to reverse the trend in Gary, Secretary Sebelius said the nation should be heartened by new reports that marijuana use has completely ceased among Chicago resident Erica, who recently got really high and totally freaked out while watching Starship Troopers.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/marijuana-use-triples-among-gary,17028/

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I thought Teeth had very poor performances and was painfully one-note. Cabin Fever 2 (by the same director as House of the Devil, btw) is god-awful -- and that director has wisely disowned it due to studio meddling.

House of the Devil is emphatically one of the best horror films in recent memory -- nails the feeling of early 80s horror like no contemporary film; Slither is close behind, boasting some of the same qualities, altho obviously with more emphasis on laughs.

I love the OG Basket Case but can't remember if I've ever seen a sequel.

The image for the film that mildly amused you won't load for me...

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    "the Foot Fist Way" mildly amused me.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    "the Foot Fist Way" mildly amused me.

Aha. I thought that guy generally steals the show when he pops up in supporting roles, so I was a little disappointed that a starring role from him didn't deliver more laughs. Mildly amused is about right.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Major letdown. It had its moments, and it really tried to be awesome, but just wasn't.

The image of the star dude sewing his deformed brother back unto himself is still etched in my mind as well as the scene where the two creatures have sex.

• "cabin fever II" was intermittently fun/entertainingly. didn't have much going for it beyond the gross-out stuff. i watched it with a friend. his review was "it had good gore," which is what he says instead of acknowledging that a horror movie might be mediocre or even shitty.

saw "the house of the devil" a few weeks ago. thought it was fantastic. easily sonned other recent attempts to make homage/period-piece 70s-80s exploitation stuff. that said, i could have done without the mutant at the end.

haven't seen "slither" in a while. remember enjoying it and thinking it was a well-done horror/comedy.

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    Teeth was hot garbage. One of the worst movies I've seen in a long time. There was absolutely nothing redeeming about it. The fact that they called it a feminist movie, too, was the cherry on the doo-doo sundae.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Wow! I thought Teeth was pretty interesting. I thought the characters were very multi-dimensional, and the acting of the lead girl was great.

• "Teeth" was one of the scariest movies I've ever seen. Talk about every guy's worst nightmare! This movie had me crossing my legs and wincing.

"Honey, there's leftovers in the fridge!"

"No thanks, I just ate."

You haters expect too much from a tounge-in-cheek B horror movie.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    when the gynecologist gets his finger bit off and starts yelling "It's true! Vagina dentata! Vagina dentata! Vagina dentata!" I laughed my ass off.

That, and when she is in that kid's garage sobbing talking about vagina dentata and she says something about "the ancient greeks... and the romans... and the isrealites, and also some native americans" or something like that.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Yeah I thought Teeth was enjoyable. Loses it a bit near the end but the first half in particular was really entertaining.

Slither was good throwback fun, sort of an update on Night of the Creeps and rare to get a modern horror film that is both funny and has the scares. Rooker is a legend as well.

Can't say I was very impressed by Basket Case 2 or 3, felt like movies made to cash in more than anything. Think it had a few ok bits but lacked the grimey strangeness of the original. Watch Brain Damage instead, fantastic movie.

I didn't know there was a Cabin Fever 2, I can't say I'm surprised but it doesn't stop me being depressed.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Major letdown. It had its moments, and it really tried to be awesome, but just wasn't.

The image of the star dude sewing his deformed brother back unto himself is still etched in my mind as well as the scene where the two creatures have sex.

The front cover of this just screams Z movie