Just Alice and Void's 99 cent Record Store

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
So awesome. Went to the opening party tonight. Great people, great idea, great deals. Plus the wall of fake rules. On top of all that, it's less than 500 feet from my backdoor. These guys are going to win a MacArthur Genius Award.Picked up that Shirley Caesar as seen on TV record and Lovesexy.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    is it just a huge record store where all records are 99 cents?

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Pics!

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Yes except I forgot to bring the pennies. I guess you could just buy 100 to make it even. Huge? not really...like 600 Sq Ft. plus a secret room. It is a work in progress, maybe an out there idea but it will double as a studio for me which is an
    amazing bunus.

We are excited, people seemed to be stoked. This happened basically overnight...i mean it took a month from start to finish, but a month ago we had no plans or ideas to be here so it was very much jump and go. I think it will be ever changing.

The ultimate goal is that everything has to be playable and in decent condition. No deals on Quantity. No Bull Shit Either.

We'll see how it goes, stop by if you are ever in town.
    Fridge is always stocked, patio is always open.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Being beyond broke at the moment and knowing many others in a similar predicament I love the idea of this. Shame I'm on the wrong side of the ocean. Please to post pics.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    Location? It's a great idea. Best of luck with everything JustAlice and Void.

• Pics!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    The ultimate goal is that everything has to be playable and in decent condition. No Bull Shit Either.

I've only ever been to one real record store that was all $1 records and it was the worst ever. If you follow the 2 rules above clearly you're not in the same category at all.

Good luck, sounds fun.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Thanks! People seem to really like the idea.

Some Photos and Fanbook Page can be found here

We have a lot to do still, but it is coming along pretty nicely.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    hmm, is that also void aka voidarelli from papercuts?

• erikbeatserikbeats 129 Posts
    word up this is dope

• for those in the Bay Area. who remembers digging at the Rasputins in Newark for records that cost 50 cents each or 30 records for $10? it was a digger's dream...i think i got 60% of my collection from that spot

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

• hmm, is that also void aka voidarelli from papercuts?

Yeah, Papercuts and I used to be in a scratch dj crew a few years back. Is that you from the old d-styles board??

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    hmm, is that also void aka voidarelli from papercuts?

Yeah, Papercuts and I used to be in a scratch dj crew a few years back. Is that you from the old d-styles board??
    Yeah man. You still cuttin?

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    OMG DOOTS TAKE IT TO THE BASEMENT OMG

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    This is a great idea.

Does The Great Escape in Nashville still have its dollar store that's only open Fri/Sat? I came up with some nice bits when I was in there, although a few things I copped - like the Clarence Wheeler album w/ Hey Jude on it - weren't in the greatest shape.

• hmm, is that also void aka voidarelli from papercuts?

Yeah man. You still cuttin?

You know it! Mostly in the bedroom though, no one seems to want to see scratching anymore in this town (or at least pay for it)... You?