Acid Reflux Cure Appreciation

mateomateo 163 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
Shit suuuuuucks !!!!!! Every once in a while it wakes me up in the middle of the night coughing like mad !! On some sweating and tears type stuff... who gots home made remedies ?

Comments

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Mine was cured after I moved to Japan. I figure it was all the milk I was drinking.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Shit suuuuuucks !!!!!! Every once in a while it wakes me up in the middle of the night coughing like mad !! On some sweating and tears type stuff... who gots home made remedies ?

I always heard a tea spoon of baking soda, if you can stand it, helps. I've never tried it personally. I use Zantac & Prilosec. I've had it real bad for a few years. You might want to have your esophagus checked for a condition called GERD. It's pretty common but gets pasted off as acid reflux most of the time.

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts

I always heard a tea spoon of baking soda, if you can stand it, helps. I've never tried it personally. I use Zantac & Prilosec. I've had it real bad for a few years. You might want to have your esophagus checked for a condition called GERD. It's pretty common but gets pasted off as acid reflux most of the time.

GERD is acid reflux, they're the same thing.

Baking soda could help, but it wouldn't prevent the reflux, it would only make your stomach contents less acidic and maybe reduce some of the pain associated with the condition. It would be pretty much equivalent to taking Alkaseltzer. If you're looking for an antacid, though, I would usually recommend Tums if there aren't any mitigating factors.

The type of treatment you need really depends on the qualitative nature of the problem. When are you getting the problem? Does it happen at night, after you eat certain things, is it predictable?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

Oh, ok. I thought one lead to the other. Thanx for the info. What ever you want to call it, THAT SCHITT SUCKS!! I wake up some nights feeling like I'm going to throw up nothing but acid. It's HORRIBLE!

Oh, ok. I thought one lead to the other. Thanx for the info. What ever you want to call it, THAT SCHITT SUCKS!! I wake up some nights feeling like I'm going to throw up nothing but acid. It's HORRIBLE!

Are you eating close to bedtime? That's one of the most common causes of nighttime acid reflux.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

Are you eating close to bedtime? That's one of the most common causes of nighttime acid reflux.

For real. It was happening to me, waking up choking and trying to catch my breath like I was dying. I stopped eating close to bed time and it went away.

Don't eat anything at least two hours before going to bed, three or even four is better. You don't want any undigested food in your stomach when you go to sleep.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I've followed my girlfriend onto some "eat like a caveman" diet (lo-karbz), and I haven't had heartburn since... I've cut out sodas, late night pizzas, and bready types, so who knows what's the real cure; but not waking up with HOT_GRAVEL in my throat is enough. Not even going to try and figure out what it is, just going to go with it.

I used to pop tums, chug aloe vera juice, anything...preventative measures, as always, seem to be better than trying to "cure" the symptoms.

I do miss pizza.

I've followed my girlfriend onto some "eat like a caveman" diet (lo-karbz), and I haven't had heartburn since... I've cut out sodas, late night pizzas, and bready types, so who knows what's the real cure; but not waking up with HOT_GRAVEL in my throat is enough. Not even going to try and figure out what it is, just going to go with it.

I used to pop tums, chug aloe vera juice, anything...preventative measures, as always, seem to be better than trying to "cure" the symptoms.

I do miss pizza.

Well, carbonated, caffeinated and alcoholic beverages, mint, tomato, chocolate, garlic, onions, citrus, and spicy foods are all bad for GERD. They're either direct irritants to the GI or they actually decrease lower esophageal sphincter pressure, allowing acid to come into the esophagus more easily. Chances are, you've probably cut out most of that with your new diet, yeah? The other possibility is that if you were eating lots of carbs before, that may have made your meals more bulky, leading to gastric distention (which can contribute to GERD).

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Mine was cured after I moved to Japan. I figure it was all the milk I was drinking.

my homie had bad acid reflux and it wound up being because of the fact he was lactose intolerant and didn't know it.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    My entire life. it would wake me every night, i have tried it all, zantac, baking soda, rennies, tums, chalk, milk, you name it. i slept sitting up as a child.

i had a tube shoved down my throat and they found that my aesophegus does not close completly, this was 4 years ago.

Since then, each morning i take Pantaprozole.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantoprazole

I cannot express how much my life has changed.

if your heartburn/reflux is seriously bothering you, get to your doctor.

I eat whatever i like, and i LOVE chilli.

I eat Scotch Bonnet peppers weekly, i sprinkle raw birdseye on my food.

I have not had one day where my reflux came back since i started.

It is amazing.

And since im not an American, my healthcare covered it.

Yay.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    My entire life. it would wake me every night, i have tried it all, zantac, baking soda, rennies, tums, chalk, milk, you name it. i slept sitting up as a child.

i had a tube shoved down my throat and they found that my aesophegus does not close completly, this was 4 years ago.

Since then, each morning i take Pantaprozole.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantoprazole

I cannot express how much my life has changed.

if your heartburn/reflux is seriously bothering you, get to your doctor.

I eat whatever i like, and i LOVE chilli.

I eat Scotch Bonnet peppers weekly, i sprinkle raw birdseye on my food.

I have not had one day where my reflux came back since i started.

It is amazing.

And since im not an American, my healthcare covered it.

Yay.

I can cosign on all of the above.
    Pantoprazole is by far the most effective medication for chronic heartburn or acid reflux.

First time a doctore prescribed it to me though I'm sure he told me for some reason you're not suppose to take it for long periods of time.

Acid reflux as you mentioned is caused by the aesophegus not closing completely (this is the muscle that closes the entrance to your stomach and keeps the acid down there). Acid reflux is when (often during sleep and supported by the horizontal position) stomach acid flows up towards your throat. Sometimes this can even cause chronical bronchitis or bronchial asthma. Also, the tissue above the aesophegus can not protect itself against the acid (unlike the lining of your stomach) and this often leads to chronic inflamation and sometimes even abnormal growths and possibly cancer. Pantoprazole prevents the overproduction of stomach acid. It doesn't help you aesophegus to close better. You still have acid reflux but it's not acidic enough to make yourself wake up. To really fight acid reflux, you should not eat anything later than 5 hours before going to bed and make sure to move around since sitting in front of the tv/computer/stereo won't help you much to digest your food. You should also avoid coffee, spicy food, fried food, sweets, liquor etc... Patoprazole helps you ignore this and still live a comfortable life but I'm pretty sure it's not really good for you and must have a downside to it. I for my part don't care much since eating and drinking what I like is a big part of making life worthwhile so I don't live by these rules and instead take my pills so I can continue eating and drinking irresponsibly.

As far as prescription drugs go, PPIs are fairly bereft of side effects. The main ones are things like nausea, flatulence, headaches, etc. There are some more serious reactions that can occur, but they're incredibly rare.
    As far as I know, if you're going to use a PPI, Rabeprazole (AcipHex in the US) is probably the state of the art.
    PPIs are best only used in the short-term, though, while you make the necessary lifestyle changes.

• mateomateo 163 Posts
    Wow..... totally wasn't expecting this much info. I guess it doesn't happen too much. In the past 3 years, its happened maybe 4-6 times. But when it does, its like beeze said, I feel like I'm gonna choke to death on my own acid. I think its just I sometimes eat too late. But I'm gonna have my Dr look at it anyway. Thanks for all the info my dudes.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    i had some bad acid reflux goin' on about ten years ago... one of the things the doctor did to check out my condition was to stick this long azz thing up through my nose and down into my esophagus, i think to check the smooth musicle or some such schitt. MAN that was some awful schitt!!! i finally cured myself a few weeks later when i just stopped eating at Wendy's. no acid reflux problems at all since.

• pops had it real bad, he couldnt hold any food down at all. diet was only part of the problem..they removed most of his esophagus, crazy procedure done in boston by some pioneering dr.
    good genes is like the lottery.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

my homie had bad acid reflux and it wound up being because of the fact he was lactose intolerant and didn't know it.

Me too! That's not all, but it has certainly helped a ton. I gave up carbonated drinks besides ginger ale... working on giving up coffee and smokes too. There's more to it for me so I'll try some of the suggestions here. My super weird thing is that I'm physically unable to burp... never have, probably never will (insert fart joke here)