What did you want to be when you grew up...

2»

Comments

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    still dont know.

• I wanted to be a brick wall and have race cars drive through me.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I never wanted to be or do anything. Ever. As far back as I can remember I never proclaimed "This is what I want to do!". I never really even thought about it. I thought about it when I was forced to

SO....

I have been
    Dishwasher
    Cook
    Waiter
    Bartender
    Manager
    Warehouse Manager
    Stockboy
    Construction
    Record Store Clerk
    Tutor
    Graphic Designer
    Now A Technical Administrator.

Never wanted to be any of those things, just fell into all of them. Going back to school now for PR. Dont really want to do that either. I just am.

I just want to exist and enjoy the things I enjoy.

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts

• When I was 7 yrs old I decided I wanted to be a broke ass 30something record nerd when I grew up.

I stuck to my guns, now check me out.

• MassiveMassive 194 Posts
    Nice one asparagus.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    college professor

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I never wanted to be or do anything. Ever. As far back as I can remember I never proclaimed "This is what I want to do!". I never really even thought about it. I thought about it when I was forced to

SO....

I have been
    Dishwasher
    Cook
    Waiter
    Bartender
    Manager
    Warehouse Manager
    Stockboy
    Construction
    Record Store Clerk
    Tutor
    Graphic Designer
    Now A Technical Administrator.

Never wanted to be any of those things, just fell into all of them. Going back to school now for PR. Dont really want to do that either. I just am.

I just want to exist and enjoy the things I enjoy.

Wow, take construction ouuta that and we could be leading parrallel lives, Doc.
    And I too have been told I should go back and get a Communications degree or post-grad degree to bolster my Art Major, but I just am having a hard time seeing the point.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    In 12th grade I decided that I wanted to be a teacher because the schools were so damn boring and fucked up they needed good teachers. That's what I became and have been doing for 10 years now.

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts
    When I was 16 and living for a semester in Jerusalem I used to cut class and hang out at the King David Hotel with the western journalists covering the first intifadah. Most of the time they just drank, smoked and bullshitted--but would freak out when news broke and run to their computers and bureaus--and I thought that would be a pretty cool life. And basically I'm sort of doing that now. I briefly entertained the idea of being a labor organizer or professional activist in college, but stuck to writing.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    When I was 16 and living for a semester in Jerusalem I used to cut class and hang out at the King David Hotel with the western journalists covering the first intifadah. Most of the time they just drank, smoked and bullshitted--but would freak out when news broke and run to their computers and bureaus--and I thought that would be a pretty cool life. And basically I'm sort of doing that now. I briefly entertained the idea of being a labor organizer or professional activist in college, but stuck to writing.

You never entertained the thought of capitalizing on your beastial freestyle skillz as a youth?

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts
    i sure as fuck didnt want to be a project manager driving a desk all day.

• When I was a kid I wanted to be an astronaut. But my teachers always told me I had to be good in math if I wanted to be an astronaut, so that sort of killed that dream. Bastards.

I also wanted to design cars. I used to beg my parents to take me to the big car show at Javits Center every year. I was way into futuristic sci-fi type stuff and flipped out over all the concept cars.

By the time I hit highschool I figured I wanted to do graphic design.. Then I got to college and realized most of the work is pretty soulless unless you're really good and have you own style. I wasn't.

So then I got into recording engineering and went to school for that.

Now I work for a hospital doing "multimedia production" which really just means I edit videos of doctors giving lectures and setup computers for conferences.

I want to get back into engineering real bad. So if anybody has any internship/assisting leads for studios in NY/NJ, get at me

• When I was 16 and living for a semester in Jerusalem I used to cut class and hang out at the King David Hotel with the western journalists covering the first intifadah. Most of the time they just drank, smoked and bullshitted--but would freak out when news broke and run to their computers and bureaus--and I thought that would be a pretty cool life. And basically I'm sort of doing that now. I briefly entertained the idea of being a labor organizer or professional activist in college, but stuck to writing.

finally something interesting.. are you an international journalist?

• PS... big ups to all the teachers out there...

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts
    I'm based in DC now for the New York Sun, but I've been sent on assignment for them in various spots. Before this job I covered the state department for UPI and traveled with the secretary, but I have been on assignment tin Iran, Iraq, Sudan, Israel/Palestine. I spent a week in North Korea in 2000 as part of Albright's delegation to Pyongyang. Next month I set up shop in Cairo pretty much full time.

• When I was 16 and living for a semester in Jerusalem I used to cut class and hang out at the King David Hotel with the western journalists covering the first intifadah. Most of the time they just drank, smoked and bullshitted--but would freak out when news broke and run to their computers and bureaus--and I thought that would be a pretty cool life. And basically I'm sort of doing that now. I briefly entertained the idea of being a labor organizer or professional activist in college, but stuck to writing.

You never entertained the thought of capitalizing on your beastial freestyle skillz as a youth?

You know since Rawkus is starting up again, he can fufill his dorm-long dreams of becoming an intern at "THE RAZOR".

• I'm based in DC now for the New York Sun, but I've been sent on assignment for them in various spots. Before this job I covered the state department for UPI and traveled with the secretary, but I have been on assignment tin Iran, Iraq, Sudan, Israel/Palestine. I spent a week in North Korea in 2000 as part of Albright's delegation to Pyongyang. Next month I set up shop in Cairo pretty much full time.

very impressed

good for you..

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I wanted (and still want) to run a small cafe and maybe B & B in Spain, Greece, the Caribbean or Brasil.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i always wanted to be a professional musician, writer, or skateboard industry cashola. i hate my job, and am constantly reminded that if i wouldn't have spent my school daze getting fucked up, (had a baby in high school), i could've pursued those things with greater diligence. i'm stoked to be a dad (never knew mine), but hate that he sees me doing something he knows is wrong for me. his mom's dad own the company i work for though, so he's set ($$$$). told me the other day he doesn't need to go to college, he's gonna be a fisherman for SAFEWAY(!). life is fucking crazy. my kiddo...