Media Mail Stupidity (RR)

HumanacatHumanacat 177 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
So i sold my first record on EBAY and i get a message back from the recipient that the record came looking like someone smashed it with a hammer. The record inside of course was crushed. I am thinking what are the odds because i have traded with several folks on the internets and not experienced any problems. I am obviously not going to use media mail anymore but is this commonplace? Do postal workers see that there is no tracking or insurance and say "lets smash this, cause some idiot sent it without protection"?!?

Comments

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    how's the buyer's feedback?

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

I'd say this has happened to me 2 or 3 times in the last 10 years. It happens, but as long as things are packaged well, odds are it will be fine in media mail.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It's hard to know what might have happened but I've NEVER had a problem with a properly packaged record being sent media mail. The only broken records I've received have been those that were clearly packaged by someone who had no idea what they were doing. Otherwise, what happened to your package is unfortunate but also highly rare.

• i use to work at the post office and can honestly say that 99.9% of the workers dont give a damn about O.P.P. (other peoples packages). What i mean is that they wont take the extra time to handle a package with extra special care and at the same time they wont take the time to damage a package on purpose.

so with that said (and from experience) the only way ive seen packages get damaged is when they get loaded into transfer bins. packages get sorted into bins where a package might get smashed by heavier packages.

• HumanacatHumanacat 177 Posts
    well i packaged it the same way folks send me records with a cardboard protectors on each side and well taped in regular cardboard package.

The buyer has 100 percent feedback with a 3900 rating so i sort of believe the record is broken. The funny part is the buyer said the record was "crackled" i am not familiar with that phrase.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    A buyer received a smashed record
    from me once...it had a sticker on it saying "damage caused by usps"
    didn't stop the buyer from threatening me with negative
    feedback though. What a prick, but he sent it back to me without del confirmation, so I didn't refund his $...just cause he was an asshole about it..

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I just had a book box arrive to the buyer empty. Stamp on package said it arrived at post office like that. Not hot.