Um, can I ask an id question about trapdoor mix 2?

darkdark 52 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
By which I mean the international trapdoor psych megamix that had a vinyl release on dis-joint a few years back (that I sent away for at the time and own).I'm the resident psych expert at the-breaks... so I can verify that would not get me anywhere.Its about a minute long, on the first side, and has that sound clip from the 1940s/1950s radio show "escape" ("escape...designed to free you from the four walls of today for a half-hour of high adventure") overlaid on top of it. Its got a really nice fuzz guitar thing going, and what sounds like high pitched synthesizer squeals. Its gotta be something either west coast, or something krautrock, but its the epitome of the style of music that I try to create and record myself, so I'm very keen to find out the artist.

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

I'm the resident psych expert at the-breaks... so I can verify that

Can you please... verify that, that is?

• darkdark 52 Posts
    I've asked about the particular clip on the-breaks before, with no luck.

http://the-breaks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19315&start=31
    "Does anyone know the rock sample to that clip on the first side towards the beginning with the spoken word "escape, escape designed to free you from the four walls of today for a half hour of high adventure"??

I literally bought the mix for that song, and then they only used like 10 seconds of it..."

The silence was deafening and years long.

As for my psych proficiency, its pretty much common knowledge at the breaks. I've dropped mondo psych knowledge and mixes there since about 2006 when I joined. I've become the resident expert especially since another psych head, Squiid, stopped posting a year or two ago. Even in 2006, I started to have a reputation:

http://the-breaks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21819&hilit=paging+dark

• Options
    This has some serious potential right here.

"Does anyone know the rock sample to that clip on the first side towards the beginning with the spoken word "escape, escape designed to free you from the four walls of today for a half hour of high adventure"??

I literally bought the mix for that song, and then they only used like 10 seconds of it..."

As for my psych proficiency, its pretty much common knowledge at the breaks. I've dropped mondo psych knowledge and mixes there since about 2006 when I joined. I've become the resident expert especially since another psych head, Squiid, stopped posting a year or two ago. Even in 2006, I started to have a reputation:

Ok, good. Can I just get a bit more info. Are you able to get a few regulars at the-breaks to PM me independently confirming your status as 'The breaks Pysch Expert.' I'll need them also to sign their PMs.

Thanks in advance

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts

Ok, good. Can I just get a bit more info. Are you able to get a few regulars at the-breaks to PM me independently confirming your status as 'The breaks Pysch Expert.' I'll need them also to sign their PMs.

Thanks in advance

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    to be honest the trapdoor guy's post here but you should really try this on waxidermy..com

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts

I'm the resident psych expert at the-breaks...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

I literally bought the mix for that song, and then they only used like 10 seconds of it...

You should definitely step to them.

• Options
    For real, guy. I would step to the dudes who only used 10 seconds of blinding psyche heat--take it from me, Soulstrut's resident stepper.

• darkdark 52 Posts
    Haha, oh boy, I knew it would get like this.

Thanks in advance

I'm going to take the piss and say I will do this for you if you have an account at the breaks. I don't think you know the answer to my id question though... so I'm not even sure what doing this would accomplish.

to be honest the trapdoor guy's post here but you should really try this on waxidermy..com

Thanks for the tip. I appreciate it.

Quote:
    I literally bought the mix for that song, and then they only used like 10 seconds of it...

You should definitely step to them.

That sentence was more hyperbole rather than a 100% true statement of fact to be taken literally. I listened to the soundclips on the dis-joint website and liked a lot of them. I then bought the record and enjoyed it. I was dismayed however to find that a short clip of one of my favorite tracks was just that on the record, a very short clip that was the same duration as the sample for advertising purposes on the website.

• darkdark 52 Posts
    Resident Psych Expert at the-breaks.com

Oh look at that status! I love you guys.

...I'm going to have to start posting here more.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    we also had a trapdoor thread where they tried to name everytrack
    try searching that

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    You guys are unbelievable. I miss the days when a 'new' guy would come in here with a similar question, get clowned, only later to have everyone do a 180 once it's revealed that he's a well-known, sharp dude with a nice collection.

I'll have heard the mix and remember some tracks, but I'm at work right now. I'll take a crack at it later.

• darkdark 52 Posts
    we also had a trapdoor thread where they tried to name everytrack
    try searching that

I remember that thread (longtime lurker). This track didn't get revealed in that thread as of about 2 years ago, and since then, I think its been wiped out in forum crashes? I tried searching for it the other day before I posted this and couldn't get it.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Do you have rare psych records?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Do you have rare psych records?

He's definitely talked about them on here before.

Haha, oh boy, I knew it would get like this.

Thanks in advance

I'm going to take the piss and say I will do this for you if you have an account at the breaks. I don't think you know the answer to my id question though... so I'm not even sure what doing this would accomplish.

That works out well since I do have an account at

Same username... lower post count.

• darkdark 52 Posts

01. Intro
    02. The Bees - ID (From Malaysia)
    03. Les Lutins - La Junglomanie (1968)
    04. Impala Syndrome - Love Grows A Flower (1969)

The track I'm talking about is before that Bees track. Since its only been identified as "intro," the track hasn't really been ided yet in either of those threads. Thanks for the links to check though, guys.

• darkdark 52 Posts

The track I am asking about is not the one by Les Jutins... Get on my level? Oh please
    Look at my description... I clearly mentioned it is the one in the beginning of side 1 that has that "escape for a half hour" vocals over it and keyboard squeals. Not the one midway through side 1 after the Chinese sounding song with the organ (The Bees)

• darkdark 52 Posts

Ok, before I go solicit people to say I'm the psych expert, you have to agree that you will login and post a screenshot if you get PMs saying I'm a psych expert from established members.

Deal?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

The track I am asking about is not the one by Les Jutins... Get on my level? Oh please
    Look at my description... I clearly mentioned it is the one in the beginning of side 1 that has that "escape for a half hour" vocals over it and keyboard squeals. Not the one midway through side 1 after the Chinese sounding song with the organ (The Bees)

My post had nothing to do with your sample quest.

"secret squirrel" les lutins auction = funny

• yes, dark is the-break's psych music aficionado.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    yes, dark is the-break's psych music aficionado.

And who are u?

Ok, before I go solicit people to say I'm the psych expert, you have to agree that you will login and post a screenshot if you get PMs saying I'm a psych expert from established members.

Deal?

DEAL!

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

I'm the resident psych expert at the-breaks...

Didn't DJ Wubwub slap the shit out of you recently for trying to steal psych records of him?

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I know Sean, Nate and Chris ( all who were involved) well and I asked them what that song is...

It's called...

"Intro" and the group is Trapdoor.

Hope that helps.

I'm going to sell a copy to Snaper, who will trade you that copy if you can get him a very special drum break.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    controller comin through like a nice ocean breeze