Good choice on a desktop for the beat laboratory?

JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
edited February 2010 in Strut Central
My desktop has served me well for almost a decade...but she's in bad shape aka dead as fusk...There are so many cheap desktop PC's all over tigerdirect and so on....but I wanted to seek the wisdom of the SS slum computer wizardz.Before my ish' died, I was using Ableton, Sound Forge, Acid Pro and Fruity Loops (although I found myself doing more and more on ableton). I also had a decent sound card which allowed me to record my drums, mixes, jams etc. with decent enough quality. I'd like get a machine that can do all of the above and it seems like it's possible to do for under $300 according to a few computers on tigerdirect if you're willing to go desktop pc.Anyone able to speak on this? I really know jack shit about adequate memory, performance, etc. I haven't made a beat, a mix or digitized any vinyl since the PC died and I'm developing a twitch...This one seemed to be decent, but would love anyone's take on it (it's unavailable now, but I think I could find something similar fairly easily):http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/...=11&NoMapp=

Comments

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

I haven't made a beat, a mix or digitized any vinyl since the PC died and I'm developing a twitch...

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Haha, exactly....

• meh dont by the cheap shit man, you'll be making a mistake...tbh, its in your best interest to build a custom machine seeing as you know jack shit about PC's that might be a bit hard...i use the same apps as you for the most part, and i am getting ready to build a new PC as well by the end of the month...mind you i am a huge poweruser (which means nuthin more then i do lots) so i am going to make sure what i built is futureproof as well, $300 might not be so much of a reasonable budget tbh, here is my build thus far:

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO/U3S6 AM3 AMD 785G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
    OCZ Obsidian 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3OB1600LV4GK x3
    AMD AM3 Phenom II 965 Quad Core 3.4GHz 8MB Retail Box (3year)
    GIGABYTE GV-R467ZL-1GI Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

i dont game, mind you i do graphic design as well, but my main use would be for Audio production, i went with a lot of ram 6gb due to using VST plug-ins and shit...rewire, reason and a slew of other things going at the same time...in the end if you push off the nervous twitch and save a bit more loot, you'd be able to get into sumthin that is future proof as well and not just sumthin to do what you need it to do this minute...

my PC is dead at the moment as well...so i feel your pain brother! thank god for lappies..

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Yeah, you've got a good point. I have some PC nerdly homies that can prolly point me in the right direction of a custom machine.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    lappies..