PING ip address - location

BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
edited February 2010 in Strut Central
How do I go about locating someone via email PING? Can it be done? If you get someones IP address, can their physical address be found from their IP?

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    If you get their IP, it can tell you the general area they are from. Then, by knowing their first and last name it can be a matter of guessing games. Keep in mind though, many people's IP address gives locations VERY far afield from where they actually live. And if you have a switch, you can run with NO IP address.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Thanks J$$$, when you coming back to Louisville? I have a house we need excavate through, I need your 45 expertise.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    from memory my IP from my phone will tell you that i am in sydney australia, when in reality I am in adelaide (around 1500 kms away), so i would say there would be far more accurate ways of getting their address

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    you cant locate someones exact home adress from the ip (only the persons ISP can do that naturally), so you have to contact the actual ISP for this (but i doubt they would give you out the actual location cause of privacy rights etc.)

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    From this amazing post: http://laptoplogic.com/resources/64-things-every-geek-should-know

Find a Users IP Address on AIM

Knowing someones IP address is actually pretty useless in this case, but most people don't realize that. If someone is harassing you via AIM and you can't get them to stop, discovering their IP and sending it to them--with a nicely worded threat of law enforcement involvement should they not stop--is likely enough to send them scamping away with tail between legs.

http://www.elitehackers.info/forums/archive/index.php/t-2827.html

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    I'm sure this is some n003 shit but if you happen to locate a website created by said person whose locale you desire, you can look it up on whoisme.com. Learned that from the PUTS carried away LP...word to Thes.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    The short answer is "Not usually".

Their IP address is just a unique number on the internet to identify their PC (well, their network card). It is what is used to route the traffic to your PC. The actual IP addresses your PC uses to route data from A to B will vary depending on how your PC is firewalled, routed and networked.

I would wager that unless that person has bought their own unique IP address from Internic and registered their own PC with a name known to all DNS servers all over the internet, they will have an address that corresponds to kit belonging to their company routers or ISP, not their own PC.

You could track down who (or more likely, what company) owns a given IP address like so:
    http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois/?ip=78.100.23.24&server=

But it's usually going to be a high-level IP address, not the name of a person on a PC. It will however give you the location of the business who owns the IP address - and if they are not a multinational then you have a good idea of geography, depending on your definition of good.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    How do I go about locating someone via email PING? Can it be done?

If you get someones IP address, can their physical address be found from their IP?

IP addresses can be spoofed easily and they can change frequently. If they person hops on the wifi at Starbucks they'll have a different IP. You could always traceroute to the IP address that you have to get a general idea of where it is coming from (which city), but if they are spoofing the address it is likely they are pointing you in the wrong direction. Finding an exact location isn't that simple really. An ISP like Time Warner Roadrunner will have thousand upon thousands of physical locations throughout a city.

Here is geo-locator that you can use to find out what city the IP is in.

http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm?Getlocation

Another way to find a physical address is if they have a registered domain name. If they registered the domain and didn't pay extra to have the registration name and address set to private you can run a WHOIS and see the physical address registered for that domain.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    The interwebs are telling me I can find a person(s) ip address from the properties of the return email header? Can it be found in the source code? Should I send a tracer email?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Damn. Bumping a 3 year old thread to reply. Good stuff.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    The_Non said:
    if you have a switch, you can run with NO IP address.
    Ok, I know this is a 3 year old thread, but I had to reply. This is so not true.