How do you clean your fader? (RANE related)

FunkyFlatulentFunkyFlatulent 1,106 Posts
edited January 2010 in Strut Central
I haven't cleaned my fader in a while so i hopped online to see what was recommended and ended up getting all kinds of different suggestiions and people argueing on dj forums etc.. with no real good answers. SO people just don't care what they use and skip steps and others are EXTREMELY specific with what they'll do. The magnetic fader always gets me a little scared to mess with it lol.So out of curiousity how to you guys clean you faders? Please be specific if possible with the order and what products you use. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• I haven't cleaned my fader in a while so i hopped online to see what was recommended and ended up getting all kinds of different suggestiions and people argueing on dj forums etc.. with no real good answers. SO people just don't care what they use and skip steps and others are EXTREMELY specific with what they'll do. The magnetic fader always gets me a little scared to mess with it lol.

So out of curiousity how to you guys clean you faders? Please be specific if possible with the order and what products you use. Thanks for the help.

Have no fear of cleaning the magnetic fader is pretty indestructible, I remember when the 57 came out rane submersed the fader in beer and coke to prove it's strength in a video.

I haven't cleaned mine in a long time but when I did I'd find hair and dust wrapped up in it. Pick that crap out wipe it clean and use a spray based lube on it. Should be good.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Just be gentle with a small cloth or paper towel and don't use any funky chemicals. Some lube (not[/b] WD40) applied to the dusty areas can loosen up the grime. Get the part that slides clean and lubed. Dust does stick to lube, though.

Don't know if you've come across this in your research, but it has some good hints: http://www.skratchworx.com/rf_faders.php

Good luck.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Almond. Telling anyone to use Wd40 is the worst advice possible. That shits for locks and other mechanical things that face the elements on the regular.

Just take off the mixer's faceplate, and clean the rails with a dry qtip and coat them using a small amount of Cale lube. Spraying anything in your fader is not advisable

• cailube! stuff definetly works as a quick fix or if u wanna do the proper thing and take the fader out as mentioned above..

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    man tbh i dont have a Rane i have an 08pro and i was trying to figure out the same thing, i danced and hopped from forum/site to forum/site looking for any explaination to cleaning and lubing my fader as it had a bit of a flutter to it..i as well found the same thing, people who either didnt care about what they out in it..or dudes who were analy analytical about ever step..it wasnt until i joined here made a post and spoke with Jectwon...his recommendation (which i can say worked the best out of everything i tried) was clipper oil for lube...i went and bought some caig Deoxit and it work for a few days, but would always need to be re-lubed, and i found myself lubing it once a week or so, not what i really wanted (i am sure that isnt good for the mixer) even if that is what its made for...with some mad precision i was able to get some clipper oil on the bars my fader moves on...and havent had any issues since, i dont know if it would differ on a Rane mixer but if there is any advice i could pass on, would be to try the clipper oil!