JD Salinger , dead at 91

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited January 2010 in Strut Central
"You can't live in the world with such strong likes and dislikes."

Comments

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I haven't commented on someone's passing when it's posted, usually - but this is pretty saddening. I mean, 91's a looooooong time, but still - I mean, who doesn't love this guys work?

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    BTW, is it widely known that that's his son on the bottom left?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    RIP

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I hate to say it, but he's been such a recluse, it's been easy to forget he's been alive all this time.

Regardless...rest in peace. When I was in college I remember finding a copy of Catcher In The Rye on the bus and I was hooked from Page One. I was on my way to work as an attendant at my college gym...it was a slow day, so I spent most of it reading the book. The few people who came through were moved to comment on it: "ah, one of the classics!"

• HamHam 872 Posts
    RIP.
    wonder if those "shelves and shelves" of stories about the Glass family will be published now...

• I haven't commented on someone's passing when it's posted, usually - but this is pretty saddening. I mean, 91's a looooooong time, but still - I mean, who doesn't love this guys work?

You know[/b] someone here is going to show up to hatt....

RIP to one of my all-time faves. I hated Catcher In the Rye when I was assigned it in freshman year of high school. A few years later, freshman in college I picked it up again and was hooked. I love all the Glass Family stories. It's a crime he disappeared, but I'm grateful for what he wrote.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    No one pulled off written sarcasm like J.D....."You're a real prince. You're a real gentleman and a scholar, kid..."

RIP to one of my favorites. In highschool I stayed skipping class and riding the metro pretending to be on my Holden steez.