Mackie SRM450 - hot or not? (speaker-R)

DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
just bought one of these badboys for $60.00 bucks! cant seem to find one online for any less then $500.

Comments

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    60 bucks is a good deal. they're comparable to the jbl powered models, which I think sound a bit better (the jbl's have a fuller low end sound, the mackie's tend to be a bit "bright" imo)
    that said, I have one that I use as a monitor when I need to, and it works fine. you can really push those things and they don't bark at you like some of the cheaper models do. you'll get better sound out of them if you turn the levels on the speaker up to 3/4 or up (which is super loud) and then keep your mixer levels where you need them to fill the room (usually pretty low).
    If you want another one, I'd be willing to sell mine, not for $60 though.

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    Yeah, $60 is a hellova deal...Sound and quality wise, I ride for the QSC powered jawns! The Mackie models where much better years ago when they first came out.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    The Mackies that are designed by EAW sound really nice but they are bright and not very warm in the low end, though they extend well. Good advice to drive the amp hard and mix levels low.

Are the QSC models really good bass_fever? I've dismissed them in the past but am looking at getting some kind of portable setup and they have decent prices...

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    Yeah man the QSCs are no joke...I listened to a comparison between the Mackies, the JBLs, and the QSCs at Sweetwater...Everyone pretty much was in agreement that the QSCs were by far superior.