Phil Ivey World Series of Poker Main Event

highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
Phil Ivey the Mike Jordan of Tiger Woods of Poker will be playing in the final 9 of the Main Event in November.Shit is epic. 6500 entrants, first place $8.5 Million. He has several million in side bets with other high stakes players if he happens to win.Here is an extremely long thread full of stories about the man...http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/29/news-views-gossip/phil-ivey-stone-cold-nuts-439786/

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I like the first reply to that thread.

"Ivey's the man but why don't you get off his 'stone cold nuts'"

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    always loved the guy's game

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
    Phil Ivey commercial banned from TV...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Phil Ivey commercial banned from TV...

Hahah, that's hilarious.

B/W

Sounds like they used the Surprise drums up in there, kind of.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    seems amazing that a name I've heard of is in the final nine... he's got to be the superfave now, huh?

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
    seems amazing that a name I've heard of is in the final nine... he's got to be the superfave now, huh?

well, he is going into the final 9 as 7th place in chips???so he has a lot of ground to make up. He is just an insanely good player though.

There are 57 events during the world series of poker and he won 2 of them prior to this

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    The only thing working against him is that he is sort of short-stacked. And the break between now and when they play has got to be annoying when you are as focused as he has been this WSOP. Amazing run from him this tournament no matter what happens in November.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    glad to see him make the final table. it's kind of weird though for them to widdle the playing field down to the final 9 and then wait until November to play.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    but hasn't this super world series thing just turned into almost a lottery--with 8000 no-names just runnin and gunnin and taking mad risks, perhaps playing recklessly?

I was under the impression that with so many people in the tourney, the odds were that the many many coinflips and all-or-nothing showdowns between players who have never played eachother turned it into something you'd really have no chance of winning, no matter who you are. Since it's hit 4000 people or whatever, how many of the pre-superboom players have made it? Seems like it's always a table of unknowns at the end...or?

maybe Phil Ivey is from the super boom I dunno too much about it...just seems that I've known his name for a long time, and that he'd be able to get through all the 8000 dreamers to the final table must make him the greatest ever...

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i agree that it is a ton of luck and it really is anyone's game. i do think that the celebrity players (ivey, brunson, chang, ect) have experience and a more advanced skill set that would give them a slight edge over the competition.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Slight edge, but anyone who makes it this far has to have a lot of luck too. But at the final table he should have a huge advantage, he just needs the chips to work with.

Ivey was around before the boom, probably the last of the pre-internet, pre-Moneymaker pros to come up.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    if you think dealing records would be a great life
    imagine what a day in negreanu and ivey's shoes must be like

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

Sounds like they used the Surprise drums up in there, kind of.

Good call! definitely the Surprize break.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    The only thing working against him is that he is sort of short-stacked. And the break between now and when they play has got to be annoying when you are as focused as he has been this WSOP. Amazing run from him this tournament no matter what happens in November.

If he can catch one good hand early and double-up, he'll be right in the mix.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    That's cool. Def one of the more exciting players to watch.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    man i really feel like playing now
    im glad i really never got into online poker because i would either be broke as F*ck or i would have gotten fired by now

• ignastyignasty 163 Posts
    Awesome for Phil. He's a great poker player and is kind of like the Sergio Garcia of the WSOP; best player to never win a "major," so to speak.