• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    COOL

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Avocados are DISGUSTING. Guacamole too.

BLECHHHH!!!

You should try it on these:

[color:white] and a little sweet corn tomalito to spice it up a bit[/color]

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    If you know any Chileans ask them to make you some 'Palta' out of Avo... its a dope spread you can put on anything.

PALTA is AVOCADO. They are the same thing. Cachai?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

BLECHHHH!!!

You should try it on these:

[color:white] and a little sweet corn tomalito to spice it up a bit[/color]

Ha ha!!!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    If you know any Chileans ask them to make you some 'Palta' out of Avo... its a dope spread you can put on anything.

PALTA is AVOCADO. They are the same thing. Cachai?

LOL. "What's this amazing spread? It tastes like avocado!"

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    What is the best way to store avocados so that they ripens?

Had a bunch a few weeks ago that turned black inside as they ripened.

How do I avoid that?

put them with other fruits in a dark/ room temperature place.

works for me every time.

Thanks, we had them on the counter with the bananas.

Bananas, in particular, give off a prodigious amount of ethylene gas, and so this may have over-whelmed the avocados, although if it wasn't an enclosed space, you may have caught a bad batch. Avocados don't ripen until they're picked, which makes them kind of unique. If I can't get ripe ones from the store that day, which is rare in California, I've always let them sit on the counter.

And yeah, avocados are the hottest thing out there.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

How do I avoid that?

put them with other fruits in a dark/ room temperature place.

works for me every time.

Thanks, we had them on the counter with the bananas.

Bananas, in particular, give off a prodigious amount of ethylene gas, and so this may have over-whelmed the avocados, although if it wasn't an enclosed space, you may have caught a bad batch. Avocados don't ripen until they're picked, which makes them kind of unique. If I can't get ripe ones from the store that day, which is rare in California, I've always let them sit on the counter.

And yeah, avocados are the hottest thing out there.

Avocado souffle. Can you dig it?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

BLECHHHH!!!

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN[/b]

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I have been grilling them recently. But I'll eat them any way really.

• It was the first real food we gave our son when he was ready to eat in addition to having breast milk still. A perfect first food. A perfect food for life.

My three year old is INSANE for guacamole. If we get Mexican food he wont eat anything unless he can dip in in the guac...

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    I have a good friend from college who hated avocados. But not because he didn't like how they tasted but rather because he thought they were bland. I would sometimes get seriously upset with him because of his dislike for them. Especially when we had the carne asada tailgates, its pretty funny how seriously upset i got about it.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    HOT. Just bought some earlier today.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    hate them. only way I can deal is if they are in guacamole that has enough lime, green onion, peppers and garlic to kill that wet chalky taste, or should i say non-taste. blech. wanna ruin a sandwich/salad/otherwise perfect plate of nachos/etc.? put some of that mess in it.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    in jamaica they are called pears. they are nothing like avocados in the US, they're super creamy and large and sweet. they are coming into season in a few weeks from now too, along with breadfruit, they make a nice pair to eat together.

cooking tip: if you make guacamole and keep one of the pits in there too it tricks the avocado and keeps it from browning, along with your lime.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    in jamaica they are called pears.

Same as in English speaking West Africa.
    We had a tree in our garden that produced more than we could eat.
    Even our dogs love them.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    BEST WAY TO AVOID THEM BROWNING IS PUT EM IN YER BELLY

SPREAD ON BREAD AND SALT: POOR MAN'S BUTTER LIKE THE GRAPES OF WRATH I THINK IT WAS

AVO LACTO PSYCHO BETA

ONE DUDE I KNOW CLAIMS HES ALLERGIC
    I THINK IT'S JUST SOME SORT OF MECHANIZM HE HAS TO COVER UP FOR HOW WRONG HE KNOWS HE IS FOR NOT LIKING THEM
    GIMME A BREAK YOU GONNA NOT LIKE AVOCADOS YOU MUST BE TOO FAR FROM CALIFORNIA

SERIOUSLY AVOCADO IS THE CURTIS LIVE OF TREEBORNE FRUIT IT'S DESERVEDLY IN EVERYONE'S TOP TEN WTF

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts

How do I avoid that?

When I need to ripen avocados I put them in a brown paper bag with an apple for company. They usually ripen in about 24 hours.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    in jamaica they are called pears. they are nothing like avocados in the US, they're super creamy and large and sweet. they are coming into season in a few weeks from now too, along with breadfruit, they make a nice pair to eat together.

Are they still shaped like normal avocados?

In central america I ran into a bunch of completely round avocados with lighter colored flesh.

Oh and holy crap! They have Bacon avocados! I want:

http://www.avocado.org/about/varieties

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Nature's butter. Too good.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    avocados on fresh tortillas with salt is fricking amazing
    throw in some chicharones and salsa and you have amazing quick tacos.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts

Are they still shaped like normal avocados?

In central america I ran into a bunch of completely round avocados with lighter colored flesh.

theres one variety thats totally round and then the alligator pears which are very long.

the word avocado comes from the nauatl word for testicles, i guess that refers to the way they hang off the tree! dammmm

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    It's all about the lettuce, guacamole, bacon, and tomato. Don't worry if the person at the counter looks at you like a freak when you ask for an LGBT sandwich.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    haha.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    Seared tuna and avocado

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    It's all about the lettuce, guacamole, bacon, and tomato. Don't worry if the person at the counter looks at you like a freak when you ask for an LGBT sandwich.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    For the six months I spent in Chile I guess I ate 2 Avocados/Paltas per day, never got enough of it and still love them.

My favorite is a light spread with some onion, salt, pepper and some drops of lemon juice. Best when eaten on dark Wasa crispbread which brings me back to another Einstein thread.