MOVING COMPANY SUGGESTIONS (NY/BK)

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
NRR of course.Can anyone recommend a good moving company for me? I'm just moving to another neighborhood. from Prospect Heights to Fort Greene. It's less than 2 miles away. I have a small 2 bedroom apartment with not ton of stuff, and not a lot of furniture either. It's from a 2nd story walkup to an elevator building.Have to move on either the 27th or the 29th of July. Any suggestions are welcome. The cheaper the better but I'll pay more if they're that good.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Do it yoself! 2 miles. Cmon. Ask the Hollertronix board locals to help out!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Haha F*ck all that shit, man. Too old for that... I'd rather pay some loot and just sit back.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    My company moved a whole bunch of heavy stuff in our building when we moved to a different floor, and also another time from Manhattan to Brooklyn and back, giant desks and racks and shit. Hired a bunch of Russians with a van off craigslist. They were nice guys and were real careful with all our stuff (including muy expensivo audio gear). Only thing is, I can really only vouch for dudes based on those 2 experiences, esp cause they're not a reputable company, just some big dudes with a van.

Let me know, I can pm you the dudes number, hopefully he's still around..

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Cosmo -

I remember getting recommendations from the truck company online. They send you a list of potential movers, with customer reviews, and you can choose based on a number of factors including price. I used two different ones for two different moves and they were both legit. Usually you get a couple humps who are big enough to lift some shit and they will love you to death if you buy a sixer and tip them a bit. They love elevators and short walk-ups too. Do NOT tell them you have a shit ton of heavy ass record boxes in advance!

Anyway, my .02.

• i used nycityvan when i moved about a year ago and dude, they did a perfect job. pretty reasonably priced and i kind of have a ton of shit. they gave me a quote which they stuck to, showed up early, worked quickly and carefully, and were endearingly knuckleheaded. hah what the F*ck that shit sounds like yelp! anyway yeah, they were good.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    All these suggestions are really helpful, I'm trying to weigh all my options.

I might F*ck around and just take all my records myself to a storage until before the big move.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I used Flat Rate last year. They were basically professional and worked quickly. They did scratch one of my tables, but it happened during a vicious rain storm.