Recommend Some Good Summer Reading

2»

Comments

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

I just ordered that from Amazon last week.

It's a quick read. I like his style. Have you read any of his other books? This was my first and I must say that his descriptions of sub-arctic and arctic climates makes me want to visit Shetland Islands, Faroe Islands, Iceland and Greenland even more than before. I'm in the very, very beginning stages of planning a trip to Iceland and was recommended this book.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    just about to finish this...

SO well written, amazing...very recommended

You have great taste. This is an epic book. I can see most SS folks getting down with this.

If you liked this, I highly encourage you to read, "Drown," his first book of short stories. They probably mean more to me than, "Wao..." which is NOT to say they're better.

"Ysrael," will haunt you...

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    that Oscar Wao book was discussed on here before. I read it and dam was it a good book.
    I will definitely be picking up Drown

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher is a combo of wise-cracking hard boiled detective story and urban fantasy. The books are way better than the TV series.

I am currently re-reading Holy War: The Crusades and Their Impact on Today's World by Karen Armstrong. It is an amazing look at the origins and conception of holy war in the three Abrahamic faiths (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam). Not light reading by any stretch of the imagination but a good primer on the subject.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    The following recommendation is HEAVY AS F*ck, and NOT SUMMER READING, but I am about to finish it, and it is f*cking exceptional:

But, we're talking black slave owners book. Not light summer fare. But, damn... he tells a tale.