What's Up with MS for real nrr

DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
I have a good friend who is still getting tests done but his neurologist says it's likely MS. I have never known anyone who has had this. His symptoms began with tingling throughout his torso. He's not even 30 yet and is super active. So whack if this is the case. I need to get schooled on this with any real-life experience the strut has on it.Serious business.

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I have a good friend who is still getting tests done but his neurologist says it's likely MS. I have never known anyone who has had this. His symptoms began with tingling throughout his torso. He's not even 30 yet and is super active. So whack if this is the case. I need to get schooled on this with any real-life experience the strut has on it.
    Serious business.

A friend of mine went through testing for it after he had similar numbness/tingling on one side and his sister had recently been diagnosed with it. Luckily so far the tests have not indicated that he has it, but he says the doctors say they can't rule it out for certain either. From what he says, women are able to maintain the illness much better than men on the whole, that men tend to deteriorate faster with it. I am sorry, and I hope your friend gets another opinion asap and responds to treatment no matter what they decide it is.

• my dad had similar symptoms around that age. he ignored it for a few years before being tested and finding out that it was MS. considering the fact that he has MS, he did really well and remained very active until he was forced into retirement about 7 years ago. after that, he kinda lot motivation to do anything. he stopped being active, stopped maintaining/cultivating social relationships, stopped taking care of himself, etc. since then, he has been in a slow, steady decline.

like Birdman9 said, regardless of what it is, he needs to stay on top of it treatment-wise.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    I have a good friend who is still getting tests done but his neurologist says it's likely MS. I have never known anyone who has had this. His symptoms began with tingling throughout his torso. He's not even 30 yet and is super active. So whack if this is the case. I need to get schooled on this with any real-life experience the strut has on it.
    Serious business.

A friend of mine was diagnosed with MS about 3 years ago (about the same age as your friend, and was healthy/active). His first symptom was a numb chest, which lasted for several weeks. It went away, so he ignored it. His second symptom was double vision. He went to the doctor, did tests, and they told him he had MS.

What I've learned from him is that they don't know a whole lot about MS. It varies from recurring "minor" symptoms like the ones he had, which might pop up throughout your life, to a very aggressive type of MS which is debilitating. As far as I have heard from him, they have no way of knowing which variation he has except for waiting to see. Luckily, he has been on medication, has regular doctor visits, and has had no major symptoms in the last three years. As far as the doctors are concerned, this is good news, because the most aggressive sort can really come quickly.

At any rate, my best to your friend, I hope the tests come up negative. Even if they don't, he could still have a long, normal, and healthy life. Make sure he keeps his head up and stays positive.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    my uncle has ms. it started when he was about 30 as well hes now 70 and they say he is one of the longest surviving cases. he's been in a wheelchair for about 30 years. montel also has ms.

peace, stein. . .

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    My dad and his brother both have it. I am pretty much scared to death to get it as well. Like you guys said, the symptoms run in cycles -- you can feel fine for a while, then it can be debilitating.

My dad also was active -- tennis, golfing, basketball, something ever day. It's taken him out of all of that, and the effect has been terrible. Doesn't care how he looks, maintains few friendships (many of which we based around sports activities), and is more a less reclusive. Sad stuff.

I have read a lot that it tends to occur at a greater level in climates such as the northern United States, Canada and northern Europe. Also that lack of sunshine can help to increase the likelihood of its occurrence. Take those vitamin D's for real!

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    Someone very close to me has it.

Yes it hits men harder. Yes there are different levels of debilitation. Yes you can feel fine one day and ravaged the next. It tends to come and go in cycles.

You can live a good, full life, depending on the severity. It is not a death sentence.

He needs to find a good neurologist, the best he can get. He will probably get asked to get on one of the three injectable drugs that help curtail the severity of the disease. Would be a good idea.

Typical symptoms are numbness, weakness, vision problems, extreme fatigue.

I worked with the MS Society as a volunteer and know a lot about it. Feel free to PM.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    Thanks for all of this info everyone. He still has to get more tests done, it just came out of nowhere. That's the weirdest part. Out of nowhere.
    Thanks everyone for also sharing personal stories. I am starting to understand that this is a huge epidemic about which very little is known.