another one who made the 10K mark...

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
I haven't been posting very much in the last couple of days.It just hit me that I too, made it over the 10000th post hump same as Rockadelic.I was originally turned on to this place back in the spring of '04 by my friend Luck.Most of the talk was pretty rap-o-centric, so I didn't quite get it at first. But I kept coming back for some arcane reason and noticed a lot of quality talk about soul/funk and other musics, so I signed up. I think my first post was either about (a) Flying Dutchman Records, (b) Howard Roberts, or (c) Billy Larkin & the Delegates. I revisited those topics a few years later, since I didn't get much of a response the first time around. But it didn't take me long to get into the SS groove. It even shocked me more to see how many Chicago strutters were on here that I already knew, like Terry Clubbup. Rockadelic, in his 10K post, joked that if your post count exceeds 10000 on the Strut, that means you gotta get a life. Well, I been here five years, so that's long enough to amass a post count that wide. We've gotten into some interesting verbal jam sessions here, and that's what kept me typing "Soul Strut" in the search engine several times a day.So...R-E-S-P-E-C-T:Rockadelic and Laser Wolf...they been in the game longer than most here, and I like hearing their stories about How It Was. And Is.O-Dub/Mannybolone...I've enjoyed reading his website writings for years before I got to know him here. Thanks for the Charles Wright info!Funky 16 Corners...responsible for one of the best blogs ever, record-wise.Motown67...haven't seen him here in a while, but then again, I'm sure he's got some worthwhile "real world" business to attend to. Still, I have to give him a shoutout...Hook-Up...Memphis is one of my fave cities, musically and in general, and I like hearing his tales from Soulsville. I usually try to holler at him whenever I pass through that city.Soul On Ice...as he noted once, we always seem to be disagreeing with or correcting each other, but I still trust his judgement at the end of the day. Maybe one day I'll "get it" with Freeborne, or maybe it might dawn on him that Circus Maximus were one of the better bands of the 1960's, but it's safe to say that our tastes are still in the same zone. I still respect his knowledge and always check on his posts.Miss Bassie...just a cool person all around.James...storyteller supreme. If you think he's a talespinner on the Strut, you should see him in person over Indian food.Luck...good friend of mine who brought me here in the first place.Big Stacks...I still check the archives for his posts where he's schooling people on how to survive the romantic wars...DJ Comatoast/Meaty/Counterpoint/JRoot...more shoutouts to the Chitown crew. And I will never walk out on the check again!!!Terry Clubbup...friend of mine who has now returned to Atlanta...our bands used to play on shows together, we ran in the same crowd, and we even used to work in the same office...one of my most fondest memories is how we used to bring Harold's Fried Chicken to the workplace, and that soul-food scent would linger for DAYS!!Johmbolaya...another one who is all about the knowledge.Batmon (the Black Rock Revolutionary)...I love holding court with him over black TV shows, as well as hearing his views from the streets of NYC...he's almost like a younger Nelson George...TNG...for spilling the beans about Numero product before it hits the streets.Verb606...hey man, the weather's been so erratic lately that the women have been rocking the boots right through the middle of summer...Holmes...straight talk about soul sounds from Down Under.Soul Marcosa...hope the West Coast finds you well...Apologies to those I've forgotten (although I might go back and edit you in later!). If I left anybody out, it's more due to my faulty memory than anything you did...Peace to the neighborhood, let the party roll on...

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I'm in damn good company.

I look forward to meeting you IRL and discussing everything from Andre Williams to Hank Williams.

You're one of the reasons I'm here.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Congrats bro!!!!!!!!!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    congrats dood!!!!!!

Everytime I see this guy on TV, I think of you...you're like the calm voice of security and logic when it comes to music knowledge..

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Hey Pickwick, I love reading your opinions on music, awesome knowledge on so much of the good stuff.

• Dude. How is it possible that you only just hit the 10K??

You are, as the kids say, the man.

One of the Strutters with whom I am positive that I could have many serious musical conversations.

- Can we get rid of the mortarboard and replace it with a Pickwick logo???

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    one of the best to do it, respect.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    You're a man machine!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    right back at you! so very glad to have made your internets acquaintance and I can't thank you enough for the Chicago tip. here's to another 10k? lol

one of the best to do it and be it, respect.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    keep on doin' what you're doin' pickwick!

peace, stein. . .

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i really enjoy your posts. you are very knowledgeable.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Here's to 10,000 more buffet lunches at whatever suitable replacement can be had for the gaylords record posse!

I will accept 10,000 more posts as a substitute. Roll through Missouri anytime, j****!

JRoot