Deadliest Warrior

OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
Any of yous American ever watch this show? Deadliest Warrior is a television program on Spike in which historical warriors are pitted against each other to see who can outlast the other. Each episode showcases two warriors in a hypothetical battle to the death.Shaolin monk vs. Maori warrior

Comments

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    When they showed that IRA vs Taliban clip on 'You Have Been Watching' last night, had me rolling.

Episode 1: Apache vs Gladiator
    Episode 2: Viking vs Samurai
    Episode 3: Spartan vs Ninja
    Episode 4: Pirate vs Knight
    Episode 5: Yakuza vs Mafia
    Episode 6: Green Beret vs Spetsnaz
    Episode 7: Shaolin Monk vs Māori Warrior
    Episode 8: William Wallace vs Shaka Zulu
    Episode 9: IRA vs. Taliban

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Nobody's seen the show then, or just not feeling the awsmness of Deadliest Warrior. Too macho for the strut maybe??

It's not every day you get to see the IRA take on the Taliban in a fight to the death, over a car park.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Too macho for the strut maybe

Apache's for the MF'ing win. The apache dudes where so dope.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I've seen some of it here and there...the forced shit-talking is way cheesy. Just skip to the carnage already!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Apache's for the MF'ing win. The apache dudes where so dope.

I've never seen the show, so I can't comment. Sounds entertaining though.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Like a lot of these one-hour shows, it would be a lot better if it was 30 minutes. Cool concept though.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Really flawed science on the show. Everything boils downs to the carnage caused by weapon versus armor. Hardly any testing for skill, speed, strategy, etc...

• proteusproteus 77 Posts
    I liked the idea, but i would have put money on the Shaolin monk making short work of it. I haven't seen the samurai vs viking but i'd of said it should last 10 secs. To make it more realistic it should be 10 viking vs. it would make it more interesting and believable fair match - and that kind of large scale bushido carnage would be up the entertainment value...

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    I find the idea of a 1 vs. 1 warrior death match boring. It's a one hour show? If you just dropping two fighters in a pit and seeing which one will win that doesn't really get to the strengths of those warriors' cultures.

I much prefer Terry Shappert's Warriors on the History Channel. He gets into the culture, weapons & armor, and tactics of various warrior cultures.

You see why the British rightly feared the Zulu or why the Barbarians of Germany pushed out the technologically superior Roman's out of their forests.

http://www.history.com/content/warriors

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Meh. This has the IRA vs the Taliban.

It also, in graphic detail, reconstructs what would happen if you repeatedly stab someone in the face with two very sharp Shaolin Monk metal spikes. Bet your 'Terry Shappert' never did that.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I find the idea of a 1 vs. 1 warrior death match boring. It's a one hour show? If you just dropping two fighters in a pit and seeing which one will win that doesn't really get to the strengths of those warriors' cultures.

That's not what the show was. They went through a series of weapons for each side. Gave a rating of which was better. The determination of who won was done a computer program that ran through 1,000 fights. The end of the show they showed he two fighters duking it out and then revealed who won when the other guy got killed. I dug the show.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    looks like a good idea. would be cool to watch with some of the boys while pissing up.... but probably better as a video game idea...

Whats it on? cable? mainstream tv?

BTW- my money is on the Spartans (real historians know the deal)!

And they should put the IRA up against ETA.... ;-P

• Options
    I've seen some of it here and there...the forced shit-talking is way cheesy. Just skip to the carnage already!

Which is why I stopped watching.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Meh. This has the IRA vs the Taliban.

Any programme that hosts a show about the above with a straight face is either genius, mental, or both. I'm hoping this gets bought up for UK syndication with a quickness. Challenge TV perhaps?

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Personally, I dig the show. I watched every episode of the first season.

Apache's = NO JOKE.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    This show is catnip for pimply-faced twelve year old boys. I'm not saying it doesn't border on the sublime, but damn if it's not aggressively sophmoric, geeky, stupid, and loud.