What Do I Listen To Tonight, Today, Etc.?

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Hey,

Do you guys ever hit that wall where you have no clue what to listen to? You have a shitload of records, but you can decide what to put on the turntable. It reminds me of sensory overload or something. I'm sittin' here now wanting to hear music (yes wifey at work), but can't determine what I'm in the mood to hear. How do ya'll respond to this dilemma?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    dig deep. I usually end up finding something I either haven't even listened to yet, or haven't played in a long time and will hit the spot.

• are you craaaaaaaaazy?my problem is i can barely keep listening to one song cause i get so hyped i want to put another one on. i wish i could listen to a thousand records a day or all at the same time and eeat records and spit out music juice and have the energy of a hornriff and the strength of a drunbraek and a woman like gwen mcrae and th ebounce of a fuckin bassline.stacks,you got an avalanche off recods..blindfold yourself and pull some shit out and blast that shit and sip some fucking cognac and start looking like your inner modernsoul singer no matter what youre listening to. each records is like captured souls and you can unleash someones emotion and expression just by dropping the needle on their spirit.

keep off the grass
    detour
    wet paint
    hands off
    dead end

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Hey,

Do you guys ever hit that wall where you have no clue what to listen to? You have a shitload of records, but you can decide what to put on the turntable. It reminds me of sensory overload or something. I'm sittin' hear now wanting to hear music (yes wifey at work), but can't determine what I'm in the mood to hear. How do ya'll respond to this dilemma?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    I have this dilema all the time, so now I try to have a healthy pile of new stuff I feel I have to listen to at least once before it gets filed away in the abyss. So I mostly just go to the top of the "to listen to" pile to solve the problem.

Right now I am at work & bought Lady Soul with me which has been hitting the spot all day (although I kinda feel like a natural woman now for some reason....)

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    are you craaaaaaaaazy?my problem is i can barely keep listening to one song cause i get so hyped i want to put another one on. i wish i could listen to a thousand records a day or all at the same time and eeat records and spit out music juice and have the energy of a hornriff and the strength of a drunbraek and a woman like gwen mcrae and th ebounce of a fuckin bassline.stacks,you got an avalanche off recods..blindfold yourself and pull some shit out and blast that shit and sip some fucking cognac and start looking like your inner modernsoul singer no matter what youre listening to. each records is like captured souls and you can unleash someones emotion and expression just by dropping the needle on their spirit.

keep off the grass
    detour
    wet paint
    hands off
    dead end

Hey Tripdubs,

That's the problem....I HAVE TOO MUCH MUSIC!!!! I have trouble deciding what I'm in the mood to hear sometimes. I've been on a big rock rampage lately, so maybe I should move onto some other genre. But, I can't decide. It's tough, mane!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    bossa, latin soul...GO NOW!!

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I get into these circular phases where I only listen to stuff that I haven't put away or thats by the turntable. It gets annoying cause as soon as I start to put away the records, I wind up playing one of them, and subsequently putting the pile back down and then not wanting to listen to the music I have in that pile later on. Huh?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    I get into these circular phases where I only listen to stuff that I haven't put away or thats by the turntable.

Guilty as charged!!!! Man, flippin' through the shelves is work. It's soooooooo easy to grab those LPs that have been in the crate by the turntable FOREVER. I need to re-file those LPs back to the shelves to make way for the new stuff. Lazy!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Hey Big Stacks, go back to the classics, listen to some James Brown,Al Green, Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke...

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    hey stacks,
    when you don't know what to listen to anymore, you need to throw on one of the first albums you ever bought and loved. hey, throw on the lee michaels self titled. be sure to thank me later.

peace,
    dieseltillo from grande rio

Hey Big Stacks, go back to the classics, listen to some James Brown,Al Green, Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke...

Great suggestion!!!!! Even though, I play Marvin every so often cause he's wifey's "man" (and Jackie Wilson too). But the others, I haven't played in a looooooong time. That seems like another thread, "How Often Do You Get Around to Listening to Particular Albums?" My collection is at the point where I may not get around to a given LP for a year or more. A lot of good music, not enough time!!!! Too bad I'm not independently wealthy; I could lay around and listen to music all day.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak