And now your morning Republican D-bag moment

DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
Here to embarrass himself this morning, Republican of the day, Pete King on Michael Jackson:

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Filmed in front of the American Legion that my Dad belongs to.

Rep. King is not a member.

He's entitled to his opinion.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

• Here to embarrass himself this morning, Republican of the day, Pete King on Michael Jackson:

He's playing to his constituents.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Mr. King is now guaranteed to be exposed as a pervert himself soon.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

Sounds like it.

But you guys should also take into account that outside of Soulstrut there is a large group of the public who, in varying degrees, range from not caring about MJ to thinking like this guy.

It's not a surprise.

And even though I think this guy is playing it up, he does have a point. Go honor a dead firefighter or something.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Mr. King is now guaranteed to be exposed as a pervert himself soon.

Seems like that is the norm these days.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

Read this earlier, and thought about posting it. From a strategic standpoint, I understand playing it up every time a professional Republican makes some dumb racist remark, and I think it's actually been pretty encouraging how the Obama presidency has resulted in these slip ups that seem to be even further marginalizing racism in American politics.

On the other hand, I find myself a little conflicted about how this stuff gets used to paint all Republicans as racists, and I can sympathize with how angry that makes some people, fiscal conservatives for example. Don't get me wrong, I consider myself a liberal. Maybe it's a little simplistic, but I like to think Democrats might be able to win over centrist voters based on policy, without having to resort to writing articles picking apart facebook conversations between idiot members of the Young Republicans. Of course, on the other hand, I think about Karl Rove's strategic moves over the years, and I'm aware that this is just the nature of politics. That article just struck me as kinda petty.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Read this earlier, and thought about posting it. From a strategic standpoint, I understand playing it up every time a professional Republican makes some dumb racist remark, and I think it's actually been pretty encouraging how the Obama presidency has resulted in these slip ups that seem to be even further marginalizing racism in American politics.

On the other hand, I find myself a little conflicted about how this stuff gets used to paint all Republicans as racists, and I can sympathize with how angry that makes some people, fiscal conservatives for example. Don't get me wrong, I consider myself a liberal. Maybe it's a little simplistic, but I like to think Democrats might be able to win over centrist voters based on policy, without having to resort to writing articles picking apart facebook conversations between idiot members of the Young Republicans. Of course, on the other hand, I think about Karl Rove's strategic moves over the years, and I'm aware that this is just the nature of politics. That article just struck me as kinda petty.

It doesn't really paint all Republicans as racist, though. Hell, the people pushing back against this Young Republican are Republicans themselves, and they categorically denounced racist-ass shit like "coon" and "if yur ass is black don't let the sun set on it in a southern town." In other words, Republicans are both the good guys and the bad guys, as it were.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Young Republicans.

I like the comments on Reddit about the subject.

"Oh, and the woman seeking to run the YOUNG Republicans is 38??"

"well, that is young for a republican, no? isn't the average age like 73 or something?"

"Don't forget. Republicans can still have "youthful indiscretions" when they're well into their 40s. To them, 38 is practically fetal."

• Young Republicans.

I like the comments on Reddit about the subject.

"Oh, and the woman seeking to run the YOUNG Republicans is 38??"

"well, that is young for a republican, no? isn't the average age like 73 or something?"

"Don't forget. Republicans can still have "youthful indiscretions" when they're well into their 40s. To them, 38 is practically fetal."

The article states that the limit for "young" Republicans is 40?!?!?

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts

Sounds like it.

But you guys should also take into account that outside of Soulstrut there is a large group of the public who, in varying degrees, range from not caring about MJ to thinking like this guy.

It's not a surprise.

And even though I think this guy is playing it up, he does have a point. Go honor a dead firefighter or something.

I remember when MJ first passed away, me and my buddy were out eating and glued to one of the flat screens on CNN. After we get our food the server said to us "F*ck that guy. Low life scum"etc....

Now I could look at his troubles with the law a few years back 2 ways.....

Not found guilty in court= Not guilty

Payed off the family and settled out of court= either didn't want the bad pub/or guilty as charged.

I'm saying if you had the money MJ had and you were not guilty, especially for something like that, wouldn't you fight the accusations till your dying breath?

But nevermind as far as his music one of the best if not the best to do it straight up. I'm enjoying all the tributes and such. J rocc bodied it though...

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

Sounds like it.

It's not a surprise.

I remember when MJ first passed away, me and my buddy were out eating and glued to one of the flat screens on CNN. After we get our food the server said to us "F*ck that guy. Low life scum"etc....

Now I could look at his troubles with the law a few years back 2 ways.....

Not found guilty in court= Not guilty

Payed off the family and settled out of court= either didn't want the bad pub/or guilty as charged.

I'm saying if you had the money MJ had and you were not guilty, especially for something like that, wouldn't you fight the accusations till your dying breath?

But nevermind as far as his music one of the best if not the best to do it straight up. I'm enjoying all the tributes and such. J rocc bodied it though...

You do realize that he was arrested, put on trial, and acquitted, right? I'm not sure I'm understanding your post completely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_v._Jackson

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    Ooops, my bad. But still didn't he pay one of the families off? and whY?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Ooops, my bad. But still didn't he pay one of the families off? and whY?

In the 90s he paid out a multi-million settlement when threatened with a civil lawsuit and possible prosecution.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts