Do you talk or stay quiet while eating?

AserAser 2,351 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
What do you prefer? Are you the type that focuses solely on eating when a piping hot dish sits in front of you? Or are you the type that enjoys the social aspect of dining, preferring to converse with your dining partners, elongating the experience as a whole.All my thoughts and conversation while eating focuses on the meal itself. I'm thinking about eating it before it gets cold, thus affecting taste, texture. When I talk, it's to discuss the nuances of the dish; cooking method; ingredients; highlights, downfalls, how it can be improved; how it compares to other renditions; etc.....My brain returns to earth after I finish eating, I can hold a normal non-food conversation again. I guess you can say I live to eat.Am I being anti-social by being so single minded while eating? My gf seems to think so....I realize the responses could be slanted here as dudes tend to talk less than girls in general.

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I EAT

• Options
    I feel 'obligated' to talk while eating, but I definitely prefer to just savour my meal and let out the odd grunt or groan of approval.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    groan of approval.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    appetizers for chit chat
    first bites is mumed silence
    than talk only about the meal
    then talk about the restaurant/service while waiting for dessert

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    i dont mind conversating during a meal, as long as the subject matter isn't "heavy"

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    youngEINSTEIN Said:

both. no if alone. yes if with company.

peace, stein. . .

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Depends. If the meal is really good, I'll be quiet for awhile, but most likely talking about how good it is. Then after the initial chit chat, then it opens up to whatever.

I just know that if I'm with company, and no one is talking, then the food must be good.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    "You Like That?"

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    By far, the best meals are indicated when table goes quiet. If the food is good enough to get your attention, then the table will be silent.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I talk when eating alone, but am mostly quiet when others are around. I suppose that's true for other situations as well.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    it has been broughteth.

a, i had this discussion over lunch yesterday with the chick. so yes, it's possible to conversate between bites, it's just not the focus of our outing at that point in time. i know you and i have been able to carry a convo while eating.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    while eating ribs? no way...pure silence...

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

All my thoughts and conversation while eating focuses on the meal itself. I'm thinking about eating it before it gets cold, thus affecting taste, texture. When I talk, it's to discuss the nuances of the dish; cooking method; ingredients; highlights, downfalls, how it can be improved; how it compares to other renditions; etc.....

Have you always been this way about eating, or did it become the norm after you developed an interest in the culinary arts?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    "You Like That?"

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I always feel very uncomfortable when eating with people who don't talk while they eat. I prefer the company of people who love to drink and to talk just as much as they love their food. I avoid the company of boring people, non-drinkers, vegetarians or fast eaters. My favorite scenario is a rich and long meal with a group of around 4-6 good friends. I'm a slow eater and I always prefer robust dishes that you can take your time eating.

I love talking about the meal that's on the table but usually the topic strays to other meals we had before, meals we want to have in the future and from there we discuss whatever comes to mind.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts

Owwwwwwwwwwwww!!

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    i hate being cut off mid funk!