Impulse vs Blue Note

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Personal preference and my Great Record theory are compatible. If one can check off more favorite albums in the Impulse catalog than the BN catalog, then at least they can say that they think the Impulse catalog is greater to them by some quantifiable standard. And yet dudes shrink from even this for some reason.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Blue Note, if only cause they released this song.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Yeah. The consistency with the actual Blue Note catalog could have been a liability. On the other hand, Impulse took a lot of risks with an incredible rate of success.

Personal preference and my Great Record theory are compatible. If one can check off more favorite albums in the Impulse catalog than the BN catalog, then at least they can say that they think the Impulse catalog is greater to them by some quantifiable standard. And yet dudes shrink from even this for some reason.

I'm just around the corner from completing both catalogs. So i'll get back with ya'll in a few years.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts

I am going with Prestige.

Yeah, for it to be done right it would take giving every record in both catalogs a fair listen, which might take a while.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Blue Note for sentimental reasons only.

Coltrane.

"not so important as people make him out to be" "shouldn't be a deciding factor"

Coltrane.

"not so important as people make him out to be" "shouldn't be a deciding factor"

who are you quoting?

Some of our english friends in some previous thread where I was defending my love of Coltrane & they were being dicks/not getting it. Not their quotes but pretty much what they were getting at. Pissed me off a fair bit actually.

Let a mutherfuukin teabag pull that shit now. Bout to get all Fourth a July up in this bitch.

• Respect to both catalogs, but I vote blue note. Impulse has some great stuff: yusef, sonny r, P.sanders, and of course coltrane.

But BN's grant green, miles, bobbi humphrey, gene harris' nexus . . . as thursdayalley pointed out there is a good representation for most strains of the music on BN.

The Impulse bio book (A. Kahn) just arrived in the mail.

Now which label is better for the flute?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Respect to both catalogs, but I vote blue note. Impulse has some great stuff: yusef, sonny r, P.sanders, and of course coltrane.

But BN's grant green, miles, bobbi humphrey, gene harris' nexus

^^^^This is pretty much the worst stuff Bluenote released and mostly came when it had been reduced to merely being an imprint of United Artists.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Respect to both catalogs, but I vote blue note. Impulse has some great stuff: yusef, sonny r, P.sanders, and of course coltrane.

^^^^This is pretty much the worst stuff Bluenote released and mostly came when it had been reduced to merely being an imprint of United Artists.

???????

All of Miles and most of Grant Green's stuff was released prior to the UA era.

The first couple Bobbi Humphrey's are decent, as is Nexus.

I have to give Blue Note the edge, as they were far more consistent. There's some genuine crap on Impulse, even from it's heyday. I also prefer the cover art on BN,
    some of the photos on the Impulse covers are just plain bad photography.

???????

I have to give Blue Note the edge, as they were far more consistent. There's some genuine crap on Impulse, even from it's heyday. I also prefer the cover art on BN,

name names or ban.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    I also prefer the cover art on BN,

name names or ban.

here's an example of bad Impulse cover photography:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I also prefer the cover art on BN,

name names or ban.

here's an example of bad Impulse cover photography:

To me at this point Impulse had stopped being Impulse.
    I want my Impulse's with a gatefold and my Blue Notes with a blue and white label.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Blue Note, without question.

???????

name names or ban.

Terry Gibbs Quartet

Curtis Fuller - Cabin In The Sky

John Coltrane - Meditations

John Coltrane - Live At Birdland

Jackie Paris - The Song Is Paris

Roy Haynes Out Of The Afternoon

And this is just from the good records, there are a lot more from the records I don't like (Beverly Jenkins etc).

In general, I don't like the lighting on a lot of them.

fair enough. but i should have been more clear. the crap from its heyday--> musicwise. or just photos?

this argument was made earlier in the thread. i think if lion would have moved out of his limited (albiet very effective) paradigm, he would have had an equal amount of terds. again, name them. i think we are talking about a couple of records.

other people gtfoh with that later Klemmer type shit. there's plenty of liberty legends of acid jazz funky organ terds for every one of those. talbout the real schitt.

fair enough. but i should have been more clear. the crap from its heyday--> musicwise. or just photos?

this argument was made earlier in the thread. i think if lion would have moved out of his limited (albiet very effective) paradigm, he would have had an equal amount of terds. again, name them. i think we are talking about a couple of records.

other people gtfoh with that later Klemmer type shit. there's plenty of liberty legends of acid jazz funky organ terds for every one of those. talbout the real schitt.

I have to take it back, there's only a few terds in there:

Beverly Jenkins - Gordon Jenkins Presents My Wife The Blues Singer
    (obviously some kind of favor being called in here)

Michael Brown - Alarums and Excursions

Al 'Jazzbo' Collins - Lovely Bunch

Intercollegiate Music Festival Vol. 1

The two Dan Mackay/Vicki Hamilton Lps.

There's also some mediocre ones, but that's acceptable.

Oh Yeah, Genesis was on Impulse (Trespass), if that means anything.

• The two Dan Mackay/Vicki Hamilton Lps

i really dig those records and all the ones from like 67-70 with those young west coast players like tom scott, bill plummer, chuck dominico etc,,,,

the real terds are the really late ones like the disco one by sonny stitt, brass fever, etc....it wasn;t really impulse by that point as someone pointed out earlier.

that said, blue note did have even more terds in their disco era: a bunch of the marlena shaws, gene harris (including nexus), etc..

i agree with rey, the only way to really compare these two labels is to stack the best of each agaisnt one another....

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

There's some genuine crap on Impulse ---

BUGGING

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

???????

The first couple Bobbi Humphrey's are decent, as is Nexus

Yes, I'm aware of that.

But given that he's tossing out Grant Green's name in the company of Bobbi Humphrey and Nexus I kind've doubt he's referring to the earlier Grant Green releases.

here's an example of bad Impulse cover photography music:

Terrible cover but this has some Latin bangers on it:

BUGGING

I call foul due to your deceptive editing. I was clearly talking about the cover photo, not the music.

BUGGING

I call foul due to your deceptive editing. I was clearly talking about the cover photo, not the music.

Actually, going back I see you were talking about covers, but it wasn't
    all that obvious as you only mentioned artwork seemingly as an aside in
    a discussion where you had just said there was a lot of crap music on Impulse
    (which I agree with) ... so when asked to name names, I thought you were
    naming crap albums.

The part that makes it clear is when you say "those are just the good albums" but when I initially read that, it just confused me, like "wait - those are the good crap albums?" haha.

BUGGING

Actually, going back I see you were talking about covers, but it wasn't
    all that obvious as you only mentioned artwork seemingly as an aside in
    a discussion where you had just said there was a lot of crap music on Impulse
    (which I agree with) ... so when asked to name names, I thought you were
    naming crap albums.

The part that makes it clear is when you say "those are just the good albums" but when I initially read that, it just confused me, like "wait - those are the good crap albums?" haha.

Yeah, you're right. Looking back there's been some sloppy posting here.

I have my NM mono OG Out Of The Afternoon deeply filed, along with Cracklin', Cymbalism and People.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts

I only posted the klemmer cover to show some bad Impulse cover photography. There were some great photographs on Impulse album covers but Blue Note covers were just amazing all the way into the 60's.
    And for what its worth why wouldn't you include the lesser output in a comparison of the two labels? Those seventies crossover fusion albums came out on Blue Note and those jazz-for-hippies albums came out on Impulse and are part of their legacy.