DJ Premier genius

2»

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    when he turned those 2 seconds of good playing on that Vic Juris piece of crap into a hip-hop classic

and when he took that rapper dapper snapper bullish and just looped it for skillz. such a sick beat.

And he did a really nice, clean chop job on the M*******s F****g O*******a for that track, too.

Production aside, how about the ridiculously funky scratches he did with the James Brown yelps on "2 Deep?"

• I liked when he flipped that Ahmad Jamal on Jeru's second album (the name of the sample and song escapes me right now).

Are you sure you're not talking about "soliliquy (sp) of chaos" whic chops a track off "Jamalca"?
    No. As a matter of fact, the title of the Ahmad Jamal album (not song) is 'The Awakening'. BTW, Soliliquy of Chaos is the shit.

"Me Or The Papes"

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    While we are on the subject here, what are the drums he continues to slaughter time after time? the ones from Buckshot LeFonque. They sound like a mix between blind alley and olympic runners with a clap or snap under the snare too. You know what I'm talkin' about. Someone told me that's what it was that they were at d&d studios and he layerd some drums then always used them? Anyone?

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    While we are on the subject here, what are the drums he continues to slaughter time after time? the ones from Buckshot LeFonque. They sound like a mix between blind alley and olympic runners with a clap or snap under the snare too. You know what I'm talkin' about. Someone told me that's what it was that they were at d&d studios and he layerd some drums then always used them? Anyone?

he's used the fleetwood mac's for a TON of tunes, so maybe it's those?

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    The Screamin Jay Hawkins loop for BIG that doesn't start on the one.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts

he's used the fleetwood mac's for a TON of tunes, so maybe it's those?

Nope.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    He used the Assagai drums a lot too, right? I can't keep track of all these damn drum sounds, mane.

• wonkawonka 84 Posts
    This is pretty unrelated to where this thread is going but I had to give my Premier story.

My old roommate happened to be friends with a guy who is Premier's right hand man. If you ever catch a Gangstarr show he's usually the short, elf looking white guy holding a video camera.

Anyway Primo was looking for some proper herbals and the elf happened to hit up my roommate. Of course he wanted to hook him up. Ended up getting invited to the show and kicking it with them backstage. After the show they went to go lounge somewhere and my roommate invited them back to our place.

Long story short, they got nice and Primo gave an impromptu show to the 4 people there playing MY records on MY turntables. His only complaint that I didn't have enough Gang Starr records!!

Why oh why did I go out of town that weekend!!

Primo has so many chop jobs that are just ... like, "how did he ever think to chop that like THAT?" The Billy Paul "It's Too Late" for M.O.P., the Isaac Hayes for one of those Moment Of Truth beats ("B.I. vs. Friendship"?), the Intruders for Common's "Sixth Sense", Cameo for Group Home's "Supa Star", the two chops from whatsisname for Jay-Z's "A Million Questions" and for Gangstarr's "Royalty"... I could go on and on. Stuff that sounds so mundane and blah in it's original form, and he just rearranges it a little bit to make some OH SHIT shit.

I'm glad he didn't try to change with the times, though. Let Primo be Primo, let whoever's poppin' now be them. Just imagine Primo trying to make beats like the Neptunes or Jazze Pha or somebody now. Who would respect that? I wouldn't.

• the scratch-sample for ten crack commandments was good stuff

• bubor0ckbubor0ck 141 Posts
    damn, anyone peeped the new Ghostface track w/ AZ and Rae prod by primo??? most un-primo sounding thing i've ever heard...kinda hot...does not have his signature on it AT ALL other than the cuts..

damn, anyone peeped the new Ghostface track w/ AZ and Rae prod by primo??? most un-primo sounding thing i've ever heard...kinda hot...does not have his signature on it AT ALL other than the cuts..

Yeah, that's that Wildstyle track... "Gangbusters" maybe? That is a very different sound for Primo. I guess that is an attempt on his part to move away from his signature sound. He's keeping that old school feel and all, but... man, give me that played out Primo boom bap! When he's at the top of his game (like the Pitch Black beat, for instance) I'm just not gonna get tired of that shit.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

I'm glad he didn't try to change with the times, though. Let Primo be Primo, let whoever's poppin' now be them. Just imagine Primo trying to make beats like the Neptunes or Jazze Pha or somebody now. Who would respect that? I wouldn't.

i dunno mang, he could evolve w/o losing the 'preem' touch.. the formula that's served him since 95 needs tweaking IMO. even the beatnuts evolved w/o emulating jazzy or pharrell.

on a sidenote: wonka, how does one become dj premier's elf??

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Yeah, that's that Wildstyle track... "Gangbusters" maybe? That is a very different sound for Primo. I guess that is an attempt on his part to move away from his signature sound. He's keeping that old school feel and all, but... man, give me that played out Primo boom bap! When he's at the top of his game (like the Pitch Black beat, for instance) I'm just not gonna get tired of that shit.
    Yes, more Pitch Black-Primo collabs plaese!! BTW, which Pitch Black beat are you talkin' bout? The one from their last album or the Nice 12"?

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

Yes, more Pitch Black-Primo collabs plaese!! BTW, which Pitch Black beat are you talkin' bout? The one from their last album or the Nice 12"?

it's all real

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

it's all real
    Yeah, that one TREW.

• damn, anyone peeped the new Ghostface track w/ AZ and Rae prod by primo??? most un-primo sounding thing i've ever heard...kinda hot...does not have his signature on it AT ALL other than the cuts..

Yeah...I also felt that it was the most non Primo sounding joint.....then come to find out its not produced by Premier. Its produced by Emile.

• it was mentioned a while back, but devin the dude's "doobie ashtray" may be one of preem's unusual beats. i remember it being argued about whether there was a sample on it or if it was played.

and theres also a new pitch black - "revenge" that is "played-out"-preem at his gulliest. and i aint mad at the new blaq poet and big shug stuff either.

• wonkawonka 84 Posts

on a sidenote: wonka, how does one become dj premier's elf??

You gotta hold his tree I guess kinda like the Keeblers

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    My question: where has Primo gone the last year? He's been awfully quiet - very few outside productions despite the AZ and Pitch Black but he's not anywhere you'd normally expect him, i.e. dropping beats for Nas or Common, etc. It's like Just Blaze is getting all that work but where's Preem at?

• debardebar 215 Posts
    My question: where has Primo gone the last year? He's been awfully quiet - very few outside productions despite the AZ and Pitch Black but he's not anywhere you'd normally expect him, i.e. dropping beats for Nas or Common, etc. It's like Just Blaze is getting all that work but where's Preem at?

harvesting elves

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    it was mentioned a while back, but devin the dude's "doobie ashtray" may be one of preem's unusual beats. i remember it being argued about whether there was a sample on it or if it was played.

he probably just programmed the beats and did the cuts. the guitar is definitely sounds live...

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    My question: where has Primo gone the last year?

Actually, I think he's been quite busy lately. Of course, I wouldn't know that had I not listened to the interview he did with Tim Westwood a while back. Primo kept saying how he felt he needed to come back with some hard shit since the game is so watered down (deja vu). Producing most tracks for that Big Shug album (did it come out yet? The pre-album did-- zzz), joints for Teflon, Hosstyle(sp), Poet, etc., I think he's got a bunch of material ready. The problem is the only place you can listen to that shit is spinemagazine.

• wonkawonka 84 Posts
    I think he's got a show on satellite radio......

I dunno, but I'd assume the mainstream considers his beats to be "played out", so he's just not getting the work that he used to get.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

I dunno, but I'd assume the mainstream considers his beats to be "played out", so he's just not getting the work that he used to get.

he did the odb track 'pop shots'.. it sounds like his ol boom bap stuff with a mild twist.