Best record spot in Cali?

LapurLapur 60 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
Rooky's Records

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I love Rooky's to death and think it represents everything that's great about the neighborhood record store (plus, I've pulled some excellent records out of there over the years), but I think calling it the best record spot in Cali is a stretch, particularly with Groove Merchant right up the street.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Groove Merchant

for quality, by a mile. Case in point: a NM OG of Afro Temple on the wall right now.

• I've only been to those spots a few times but I enjoy shopping at Rooky's more. It seems like you might find something digging there and could have a nice surprise.
    At Groove Merchant, the work has been done for you. If you have the loot you can get some ill s**t. I get no satisfaction in buying a record off the wall.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Atomic

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    rookys ranks pretty high up there for me. and it is because of the neighborhood vibe. im not sure if they still do it but they used to play a weekly game of dominos and lots of old folks go there and the bathroom is always clean.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Atomic

Atomic is also my personal favorite--definitely the best one I've been to in L.A.

Nice jazz selection.

• ennuiennui 111 Posts
    Gotta disagree on Rooky's even though I love hanging out there and I've pulled some nice pieces. If Atomic is better than GM, I'm gonna have to schedule a trip to LA.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    rookys ranks pretty high up there for me. and it is because of the neighborhood vibe. im not sure if they still do it but they used to play a weekly game of dominos and lots of old folks go there and the bathroom is always clean.
    Wow, Cali folk are spoiled. Ain't no bathroom privileges to any place I've been in East of the Mississippi and that includes places I've spent thousands of dollars in.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Wow, Cali folk are spoiled. Ain't no bathroom privileges to any place I've been in West of the Mississippi and that includes places I've spent thousands of dollars in.

Huh. Josh let me use the bathroom at Groove Merchant. YET ANOTHER REASON GROOVE MERCHANT IS EXCELLENT.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

The dominoes games that used to happen outside got deaded (by the cops, not Dick @ Rooky's), but if you venture inside, you can often find a game of dominoes or Scrabble.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Wow, Cali folk are spoiled. Ain't no bathroom privileges to any place I've been in West of the Mississippi and that includes places I've spent thousands of dollars in.

Huh. Josh let me use the bathroom at Groove Merchant. YET ANOTHER REASON GROOVE MERCHANT IS EXCELLENT.
    I meant EAST, sorry, directional typing errorz.

Atomic

Atomic is also my personal favorite--definitely the best one I've been to in L.A.

Nice jazz selection.

The problem with Atomic is not just that they price at the upper limit of the market but selection-wise, I don't get the sense that there's a deep, curatorial element happening there, unlike, say the Groove Merchant or Big City. Don't get me wrong, I like Atomic but to me, they kind of pale next to other specialty stores such as the ones already mentioned.

And just because this always need to be said: Cool Chris is without peer in terms of being The Record Store Dude.

If Atomic is better than GM, I'm gonna have to schedule a trip to LA.

But is the owner of Atomic as chill about trade as Cool Chris is??

GM by a mile.

I get no satisfaction in buying a record off the wall.

I think there's satisfaction in that, just a different kind from what the Digging Ethic??? mandates.

I got love for Rooky's for many reasons. But Best in Cali? C'mon now.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Atomic

Nice jazz selection.

The problem with Atomic is not just that they price at the upper limit of the market but selection-wise, I don't get the sense that there's a deep, curatorial element happening there, unlike, say the Groove Merchant or Big City. Don't get me wrong, I like Atomic but to me, they kind of pale next to other specialty stores such as the ones already mentioned.

A "deep curatorial element" can be limiting, particularly when it is narrowly focused--I rarely find jazz records that interest me at Big City, probably because that's not really where their focus lies. It does, however, seem to be the focus at Atomic (whose other sections are pretty unimpressive).

Word: I feel that. If someone were to ask me the best places to buy high-end jazz records in Cali, I'd recommend Atomic first, then GM. GM is excellent for jazz compared to most stores but if you're looking for original Blue Note joints, then Atomic is more likely to come up on that. The store benefits, immensely, from their proximity to Hollywood. It actually amazes me there isn't another store like Atomic competing for the same shit.

• anything can happen anywhere. i pulled a ridiculous 45 out of the reggae bins at Amoeba on my last trip up to SF.

Albert Tomlinson "Don't wait for me" UK Giant 7" from 1968 (a Coxsone Production).

seen that shit go for like ??150 on the bay.....

oh i failed to mention i copped that shit for like no more than 5 bux..... somebody was slippin' for real.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Futile argument.

They're all great stores, just different styles and focuses.

• I've only been to those spots a few times but I enjoy shopping at Rooky's more. It seems like you might find something digging there and could have a nice surprise.
    At Groove Merchant, the work has been done for you. If you have the loot you can get some ill s**t. I get no satisfaction in buying a record off the wall.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    for price: bagatelle(long beach).
    for selection: groove merchant.

peace, stein. . .

• It's all relative. I've pulled more gold out of the little record store near my house but I am there at least once a week. I've only been to G.M. 3 or 4 times.

• I can tell you when i get a chance to make it out to Cali, the first thing i am going to do is getting my ass to Groove Merchant.

I can tell you when i get a chance to make it out to Cali, the first thing i am going to do is getting my ass to Groove Merchant.