(Gangsta) Pill - Trap Goin' Ham (dope song/video)

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
Anyone else bumpin' this shit right now? He's on Grindtime w/ Killer Mike, so he had my attention just off the strength of that alone. While I know a lot (most?) dudes on here hate this kind of shit (anything to do w/ dope, southern rap, rap in general), I think it's dope. The video is very reminiscent of Juvenile's "Ha" video in that it doesn't have the bullshit rented cars, mansion, video vixens, jewels...just a camera in the hood catching real shit w/ real people (they actually just had people coming up volunteering to be in the the video doing whatever they wanted).Just started listening to the (free) mixtape, too..and so far it's good.http://pill4180.com/

Pill - "Trap Goin Ham" from The Educated Villains on Vimeo.

Comments

• Would it help if I said he was on Folkways?

Not sure why I posted this on the Strut of all places.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    IMO there's nothing speacial about that song or video, sorry.

• You ain't heard the mixtape? Shit's good, man. Best mixtape i've heard in quite sometime. It's a shame people are going to write him off as just another dope slangin' rapper. There's more to his music than that shit.

• Btw, Trap Goin' Ham bumps...

not sitting at the computer music.

From that song, I'm not hearing anything added to the game, just a rehashing of what's already been done a million times. Dude might as well be a less creative Maceo and it's not like Maceo ever really blew up, Fader attempts aside.

• Damn, did a google search...I didn't know Fader was all up on him like that (not that I care).

• Now I can see why some people wouldn't like him...cause the 'cool kids' like him.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    song is dope but the video is way overhyped

• Bumpin the tape right now , and I'm mad glad you posted this. Better than most of the other stuff bubbling up right now. Dude goes hard. Southern Rap is the best rap, and that's just that. Re: Harvey's 'rehashing' statement, so what? Dude is just doing a good job at being a rapper, and that's enough for me.

Wordagio.

• song is dope but the video is way overhyped

So this shit is the new Clipse hipster favorite or something?

It's alright, I wouldn't mind hearing the song on a mixtape of similar tracks. I'm just not hearing anything extraordinary about it as if it needs to be heralded.

And I know, I probably hype Austin locals beyond their merits. But at the same time, if you listen to a Gerald G or a Black Mike or a Y2JJ, you are going to hear something original.

So yeah, I will now tone my critique down to...thanks for posting this.

• Is this when we hold hands?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    song is dope but the video is way overhyped

So this shit is the new Clipse hipster favorite or something?

this is like the clipse in that its pretty weird & random that its getting all this extra media attention. kind of tired of ppl acting like its purely bcuz nutt-riding on the clipse was the fault of 'hipsters' -- one of whom is now vibe's music editor -- rather than just a lack of perspective. it lets folks around here who dont have asymmetrical haircuts but were just as cornily bandwagon-ing off the hook.

this pill song is cool, theres lots of other rap out there like it. the worst defense /argument for a rap song tends to be along the lines of 'listen to how different this is from all other rap!' its like theres an inbred dislike of the genre, that everything has to be super-exceptional. cant it just be a good rap song?

• I don't understand what's supposed to be "different" about it, though..that's what I am not really getting. Dude is a good rapper...that happens to talk about selling dope a good bit. Now i'm gonna have to do some blog/forum snooping and see what's being said about this shit. "Different"...really? Is it possible a new crowd of people are into it that have never really seen rap videos WITHOUT the rented bullshit...so this is blowing their f*cking minds or something?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The video is very reminiscent of Juvenile's "Ha" video in that it doesn't have the bullshit rented cars, mansion, video vixens, jewels...just a camera in the hood catching real shit w/ real people (they actually just had people coming up volunteering to be in the the video doing whatever they wanted).

That hasnt been done before?

From that one song, he doesn't come across as a good rapper though, just an average one. I can immediately think of a dozen dudes here in my town alone that sound just like that and they still aren't the dudes I would be giving my highest cosign.

And you know full well what at least I'm meaning by wanting to hear something different out of a new rapper. It's not like they need to recreate the wheel and be drastic about it. They just need to not sound so damned generic.

• I feel ya..in no way is he doing ANYTHING new at all. Just ya average trappin' subject matter, but he's better than most. Llyrically, he's FAR better than Jeezy, obviously (which is a dumb comparison, but people will make it off of subject matter and being from Atlanta alone). To me, he sounds like TI when TI is REALLY doing his damn thing on the rapping tip. He reminded me of Tip a lot on the mixtape, and not in a bad way at all. Just my opinion. He ain't gonna win over the Gucci/OJ crowd (unless he waters his shit down BIIIGTIME..which I hope he doesn't).

Since he's on Grindtime..i'll just put it like this..if you like Killer Mike, you should like this. They have their similarities.

• Harvey, while I think that song is pretty damn good..I will say it doesn't showcase his rapping the way other songs do off the mixtape. Hell, give it a listen..if you dig, you dig it. If not, you don't. No big loss.

Harvey, while I think that song is pretty damn good..I will say it doesn't showcase his rapping the way other songs do off the mixtape. Hell, give it a listen..if you dig, you dig it. If not, you don't. No big loss.

Yeah, I'm not writing dude off just yet. And really, thanks for the recommendation. Sorry to give you a hard time because I REALLY APPRECIATE when people actually take the time to post new artists/music on here.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I love this song and video.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    This song seems average to me, but I'll check out the mixtape.

I will say that "I got a bonus on my check because of base runnin'" is a dope line.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    I like this song and want to hear more.

I am not sold on the use of "ham" though, my boy has been trying to use it for weeks now and it's lame every time. when this song dropped he thought it sealed the deal for him but I say no.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    this is a better ham song

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I'm really enjoying the mixtape - thanks for posting.

• Cool..glad to hear others are diggin' it. I'd like to see dude really pop off. Maybe it can/will help Mike finally get the recognition he deserves.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    The best ham song is Manish Man "I Go Ham" which barely seems to even exist even though it came out a long time ago.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Hate this kind of music but feel the video.

• Hate this kind of music but feel the video.

HAHA, I appreciate the fact that even though you usually aren't into a lot of the hip hop that gets posted you still check for it, and share your opinion.

I think I've listened to the whole tape 4 times. Dude is seriously dope, check the trills he throws on the cadences. If you can get into his lyrics he's dropping some crazy burners

"My words'll make the devil scream/ chopper make the chevy lean"

"I look in the mirror but all I see is glass"

"higher than a piccolo" (it's an obvious line, but it's not a common one)

"Iced out like a 99 cent slushy"

"Need a polaroid picture just to shake this addiction"

Dude definitely has great taste in beats too. Towards the end it gets mad 'golden-era-inspired'. I'm feelin this.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    it's another day, F*ck a place i ain't got enough
    id rather pray, then peddle yay till i come up
    my momma told me, to live righteous and live holy
    but i'm holdin, pill pocketing money slowly
    my slogan is make a profit and get some mo in
    need somewhere to lay so im gon kick this door in
    four in the, westside of town, i'm goin
    dro-in, so i hit fish & don and say lets go in
    times is hard, dimes are hard to get this chedder
    kids are freezing cold, we in t-shirts aint got no sweaters

• Yeah that song is dope. He brings it pretty 'different' on that. Not painting the typical crack-slangin perspective, giving it a tinge of 9-5 lackluster, like "Damn, I don't wanna go sell crack in the rain."