The Stranglers (Yay or Nay)

SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
Has there been a thread already??Golden Brown and Peaches = two all time faves...

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Massive YAY
    A much neglected band
    'the punk Doors'
    IMO the most listenable of the old punk bands in 2009

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I'm guessing it's considered too commercial by Stranglers fans, but "Skin Deep" is one of my favorite pop songs from the 80s. Childhood memories.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Hellz yes. 'No More Heroes' and my all time favorite, 'Nice 'n' Sleazy'.

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    Massive YAY
    A much neglected band
    'the punk Doors'
    IMO the most listenable of the old punk bands in 2009

Mmmmmmm- IZ VERY NIZE!!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    absolute yay.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Just listened to Golden Brown and Strange Little Girl before leaving for work this morning.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    They're cool with me.

For some reason, I've seen their seventies albums like Black & White all over the used record stores, at cheap prices (I don't see, say, the Vibrators or the Saints' albums going for $5). Those elpees are worth getting...

I have not heard any later records from the eighties and beyond, though. Not sure if I'd want to.

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    Oooooo yeah!! The Saints are great!! My friends mum turned me onto them when i was quite a bit younger!! She was a very cool lady.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    They're cool with me.

For some reason, I've seen their seventies albums like Black & White all over the used record stores, at cheap prices (I don't see, say, the Vibrators or the Saints' albums going for $5). Those elpees are worth getting...

I have not heard any later records from the eighties and beyond, though. Not sure if I'd want to.

They got very patchy - too many drugs leading to intense paranoia, manifesting itself in a pretty destructive obsession with the Men in Black phenomena (not film-R) and a general descent into self indulgence.

Good to see Cornwell quite cleaned up these days and performing and recording again.

I think Jet Black is about 95 now.

And JJ Burnel's solo album is worth picking up if you see it for a dollar, if only for the title. He had a distinctive if brutal bass style that I always dug.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    The lesser-known "5 Minutes" is my fave cut. "Golden Brown" reminds me of being at school, as someone had written the entire lyric to it on the desk I regulalry occupied.

I used to attempt that with early rap, but damn, them muhfuggas got more rabbit than Sainsburys, don't they?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Nay.

The biggest waste of a great band name evar.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I wanna sample somethin by them, they have their moments!

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Hell yes. "Bear Cage" is the shit shit shit...especially slowed down a bit.