Team USA (HOLY SHIT-R)

GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
2-0 right now.

Comments

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    This game is incredible. USA defense and Howard's play at goal have been awesome.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    WHOA

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    This game is incredible. USA defense and Howard's play at goal have been awesome.

Not since Beerfest has the underdog USA proven to be such a formidable opponent.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    VICTORY

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    VICTORY

What did we win?

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    absolutely ridiculous and so very awesome.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    VICTORY

But homedude misses the final. He played his ass off today.

Amazing acheivement! Only the second time in history that we've beaten a #1 team.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

Is this soccer?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Is this soccer?

Could be hockey. Wrong season though, right?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    graf your avatar is f*cking me up. that and the other dude with the location of "GARY."

so we won a soccer game? i wonder how many people on our soccer team are actually americans and how many did we import just so we could have a decent soccer team. what i mean to say is, how many on the team call it "football."

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    VICTORY

What did we win?

Bragging rights in a sport we don't care about.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    so we won a soccer game? i wonder how many people on our soccer team are actually americans and how many did we import just so we could have a decent soccer team. what i mean to say is, how many on the team call it "football."

• oripsorips 238 Posts

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    haha

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Dam so much hatt for team USA ITT

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I was just goofing around.

So did we win something then? Like the world cup or something? did we come in first in some sort of competition?

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    I think USA won the SoccerBall Trophy after their two to zero scoreline against The Spain Matadors.

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts

so you've made it through to the world cup??

Aus did too!! 2nd time since the 70's......i think. woooooooo.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    didn't we play in the world cup last time?

I still don't know what we won... some kind of "world series" of soccer or something?

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Dude, Gary, have you heard of espn.com or foxsport.com?

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    USA beat Spain who has run undefeated since 2006.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    ok so we just won a game but not a tournament or anything....

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    world cup's not til next year in south africa. these are just qualifiers. but anyone beating spain is a bit of a deal.

world cup's not til next year in south africa. these are just qualifiers. but anyone beating spain is a bit of a deal.

Qualifiers are going on at the moment but this wasn't one of them, it's just a random cup (The Confederation's Cup) with teams like Italy, Brazil, New Zealand, Iraq, Spain etc... and the USA have made it through to the final against Brazil.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    This thread is funny.

Well done USA.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    In summation:

The US, playing in S. Africa at the Confederations Cup (a tournament largely representing the winning countries of FIFA designated regions on the globe) usurped the current #1 best team (Spain) in the world as determined by FIFA, the governing football(soccer) body.

The significance of the Confederation Cup is rather minimal at this time, as it is considered by most a relatively new tournament (and thus to an extent not as important). But, given the 2010 World Cup which is also played in S. Africa this tournament was both seen as a test to how prepared S. Africa is for the very very important World Cup as well a chance for the US to gauge how well it would perform amongst better international talent.

Adding to the excitement of the U.S. win in this semi-final match is the fact that they barely made it through opening qualifiers, and did so only on goal differential with Italy (a team that had beaten the US, and also the current reigning World Cup champions).

The U.S. will go on to play either Brazil or S. Africa (the host nation, playing in the Cup because they are the host nation) in a final game later this week. The U.S. lost to Brazil 3-0 earlier in the tournament and has yet to play S. Africa in the tournament.

In beating Spain, the US beat a team with a 35 game unbeaten streak and a 15 game winning streak (both records or tying records if i recall). Spain has considerably much better players that play at the top levels of professional football/(soccer) and for the best football clubs (teams) in the world.

In short, this was equivalent roughly to a #12-14 seed NCAA basketball team beating the #1 team during March Madness. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

lastly (to make this record related), the U.S. team includes a player by the name of Clint Dempsey who scored the 2nd goal in this game and who had previously released a rather bland Nike rap commercial with Houston rapper Big Hawk (S.U.C.).

the end.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

Qualifiers are going on at the moment but this wasn't one of them, it's just a random cup (The Confederation's Cup) with teams like Italy, Brazil, New Zealand, Iraq, Spain etc... and the USA have made it through to the final against Brazil.

No, USA faces the winner of the Brazil vs. South Africa match tomorrow. Yeah, Brazil should win, but do not underestimate the home team advantage. This cup is all about the underdog, so don't count S.A. out!

http://www.fifa.com/confederationscup/matches/index.html

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Here's a video of the highlights of a game you're not really interested in, in a language you wont understand. Enjoy. http://www.soccerclips.net/videos/spain-v-usa-highlights

No, USA faces the winner of the Brazil vs. South Africa match tomorrow. Yeah, Brazil should win, but do not underestimate the home team advantage. This cup is all about the underdog, so don't count S.A. out!

http://www.fifa.com/confederationscup/matches/index.html

I really can't see that happening...